Has anything increased in price as much as replacement wiper blades have?

Us parts people joke that there is a wiper blade guy, a fuse guy, a spark plug guy, and a oil filter guy all cranking out new designs to justify their existence.
There's something to this-- the old U-hook wipers I can find on closeout on RA for <$2. The fancy new connections like my Prii require are a bit more, but $6-7 when ordered smartly.

There's something to this-- the old U-hook wipers I can find on closeout on RA for <$2. The fancy new connections like my Prii require are a bit more, but $6-7 when ordered smartly.
I'm admittedly jaded to parts prices, but even some of the wiper blades give me pause. Had a customer with a newer Lincoln Aviator with heated blades and they were $77ea for the blade. The inserts were $25ea.

I like refills but I want to say, the cheapo stuff at Walmart wherever are the full wiper.

I need to check on my Corolla and see if someone did that, am hoping not, I had good luck with Toyota refills and would rather do that. Although getting refills for my departed Camry was getting problematic as the p/n's at Toyota had been obsoleted.

For my Corolla, I get the $8 Michelins at Walfart, and they work just fine. But the cheap ones don't come the the connecting hardware for our CX-9, or my daughter's VW Tiguan. I have to buy the more expensive ones to get that. I'm going to look into replacing just the rubber part next time. That's gotta be considerably less expensive I would think...

Us parts people joke that there is a wiper blade guy, a fuse guy, a spark plug guy, and a oil filter guy all cranking out new designs to justify their existence.
Completely agree. I still love the u-hook design. It was obviously (to me) superior to the older post mounts. But it's so good there's simply no need for a revision after that.

On vehicles that don't run a washer line along the arm, I've seriously pondered cutting and welding on a u-hook end from a donor (and donor options should be plentiful). I've never done it but see no reason it wouldn't work great.

There's absolutely no reason every aftermarket wiper needs to come with a bag of plastic adapters. And in fact I'm sure that alone employs a small army of engineers as not every manufacturer will "adapt" to another arm in the same way. Sometimes the adapters themselves are quite creative.

Ive never understood why folks buy entire replacement wipers. Ive never had a car that can’t take a refill.
Yup, and I buy my refills from the dealer, made in Japan with a stainless insert.
I think wiper prices are high, cause of patents and uncommon lengths. We just did not have this problem in 1979, and they even had the wiper arms hidden under the engine hoods.

Used to be able to get cheap wipers for about $7-10 when you found a sale. I recently felt lucky to find Rain-X frame wipers for $12.97 each at WM.

A great deal used to be Michelin wipers at Costco for $9.99 each; but they have gone up to $13.99 each, and changed from a frame-style wiper to a beam style. They don’t work nearly as well as they used to, so won’t be getting them again most likely.

At least we still know how to make windshield wipers. A few years ago we forgot how to make enough of a different type of wiper: toilet paper. We could send a man to the moon in the 60's but we couldn't figure this out.

I'm guessing this is some kind of back handed attempt at some humor, but I'm pretty sure the big toilet paper shortage of 2020 had nothing to do with forgetting how to make toilet paper, or even an actual shortage.

Millions of people all decided they needed to stock up and buy 5X their normal amount all at once.

I'm pretty sure if there were some event to cause everyone to suddenly try to buy 10 wipers each, all at the same time, we'd experience the same kind of shortage.

It's not Rain-X or Charmin's fault that people are stupid.

Completely agree. I still love the u-hook design. It was obviously (to me) superior to the older post mounts. But it's so good there's simply no need for a revision after that.

On vehicles that don't run a washer line along the arm, I've seriously pondered cutting and welding on a u-hook end from a donor (and donor options should be plentiful). I've never done it but see no reason it wouldn't work great.

There's absolutely no reason every aftermarket wiper needs to come with a bag of plastic adapters. And in fact I'm sure that alone employs a small army of engineers as not every manufacturer will "adapt" to another arm in the same way. Sometimes the adapters themselves are quite creative.
I will pop on new blades for customers and it is so annoying having to figure out what combination of clips is holding on the existing blades.

Amazon has good prices. The silicon blades work very well and they are WAY cheaper than the parts store.

Parts stores use these and oil as inflated profit centers.
Indeed. Amazon had jacked up blade prices for a awhile, I gave up basically, then seems like some competition started again (YAY!) and some really good deals. Maybe stock up!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For me it is fertilizer products. Lawn fertilizer prices at HD, Lowe's, Fred Meyer, CRAZY. Smaller bags, for 2X the price.

The only scores I get are torn bags at farm and feed. I'm all over those.

Back