Has anyone removed the cover under their vehicle permanantly ? Any dangers doing this ?

Find a convenient work-around:
Fumoto?
Oil extractor?
Strategic hole/panel/etc?

I went out of my way to add these panels on my VW - a full front engine cover (stock was 1/2), an extended exhaust tunnel cover, and two more in the rear from a hybrid model. VW OEM hybrid and Euro pieces. Highway mpg definitely increased.
Yeah, could have cut and hinged the big Fusion panel … but at 135K not sure how many 10k changes are left.
The Tahoe & Rubicon are very easy … no covers to remove 😏

I usually remove the skid plates most of the time they are falling apart and brittle so really aren’t doing any good and it makes repairs a pain. None of my vehicles that came with one still have it.

They are there for aerodynamics (smooth air flow under the vehicle (ie fuel economy)) and sound deadening of road noise. Yes, some have air ducts for brake cooling or oil coolers or pan coolers.

I removed the second, of two, skid plates on my 4Runner for easier servicing and it's very heavy. It's 2WD and rarely goes off road.

Ok. How about “Splash shield” vs “ Skid Plate” Here is a screen shot from Summit Racing. You can order the plastic “ Splash Shield” or the metal “ Skid Plate”

97B992B3-BD34-4B6F-8E50-B14FB5D1F0EB.png

I have just a Mickey Mouse Versa but I belong to the pro-shield crowd. I just damaged mine running over a possum and although my mechanic offered to just “rip it off” I had him replace it. If there’s a hood protecting the upper part of the engine bay it makes sense to protect the bottom from water intrusion as well, even if it’s just heavy spray. That’s a lot of water.

If I was blessed to have a son, I wouldn't be discussing this nonsense with him on his late model vehicles.
How would you feel if he drove through a deep puddle on the road and water got into the engine bay and screwed something electrically?
Well I'm blessed with 2 both serving , my oldest in my avatar.
My thoughts were in part with helping with cooling of turbos , engine and drive components . Excess heat seems to be a big issue and perhaps it would help draw that heat away. Yes damage a concern but back when I pulled wrenches for a living I didn't see this or a lot of things now on vehicles.
Some good input from members , thanks (y)

I have just a Mickey Mouse Versa but I belong to the pro-shield crowd. I just damaged mine running over a possum and although my mechanic offered to just “rip it off” I had him replace it. If there’s a hood protecting the upper part of the engine bay it makes sense to protect the bottom from water intrusion as well, even if it’s just heavy spray. That’s a lot of water.
I've seen cars that had the splash freeze on the pulleys when parked and belts coming off. Including timing belts despite them having their own cover aswell. Good idea though the OEM pricing of the undertray is often criminal

Back