Has Anyone Installed A Screen Protector On Their Vehicle's Touchscreen ?

I am considering installing a screen protector, similar to what you use on a phone or tablet device on the 10" touch screen in my new car. Not so much because I am afraid of scratches or impact damage but just to make cleaning the inevitable fingerprints and smears from it.

My concerns are to be extremely careful when installing it so any liquid being used doesn't run down into the display and damage something, and if I would want to remove it after a period of time, could it be a real PITA to get the thing off the screen ?

Any real world experience or advice is appreciated. For now I am keeping a small MF towel and some of that spray eyeglass cleaner that is supposed to be safe on plastics and phone screens in my car for the occasional wipe down of the screen surface.

Get some canned air and before you put the screen protector on, lightly blow the screen to get any residual lint or dust off.

My wife bought a new Audi Q3 and I have been wanting to do this exact thing. I think I looked on Amazon or elsewhere on the internet and thought I found a pre-cut screen protector but now I need to follow up on that item. Thanks!

I put a glass screen protector on in my Jeep. It is easy to keep clean and feels "better". No issues at all with any of the touchscreen controls.
Don't plan on removing it but it's probably not much different than replacing one on a phone.

I put a screen protector on my Impala's touch screen when the car was new, and it was easy to install. I set it in place lightly and made sure it was lined up properly before pressing it down and getting the air bubbles out. Had to give it a couple of tries before it was lined up properly. It's made out of tempered glass, so no scratches on it yet. And fingerprints wipe off easily.

From Amazon:

LFOTPP Car Navigation Screen Protector for Impala 8 inch MyLink 2014-2018 Tempered Glass Center Touch Screen Protector Anti Scratch High Clarity

Never even occurred to me, that said I barely use the touchscreen. I find Mazda's knob controller for the infotainment to be plenty intuitive and quick. Maybe I'm weird in this regard. (Wouldn't be the first time.)

Mine has a piece of matte ppf. It works fantastic.

CDFEC6F0-B82E-4680-90FE-7DEB4EB09F3D.jpeg

Last edited:
Never even occurred to me, that said I barely use the touchscreen. I find Mazda's knob controller for the infotainment to be plenty intuitive and quick. Maybe I'm weird in this regard. (Wouldn't be the first time.)

The knob is what sealed the deal on the “no” for us.

I am considering installing a screen protector, similar to what you use on a phone or tablet device on the 10" touch screen in my new car. Not so much because I am afraid of scratches or impact damage but just to make cleaning the inevitable fingerprints and smears from it.

My concerns are to be extremely careful when installing it so any liquid being used doesn't run down into the display and damage something, and if I would want to remove it after a period of time, could it be a real PITA to get the thing off the screen ?

Any real world experience or advice is appreciated. For now I am keeping a small MF towel and some of that spray eyeglass cleaner that is supposed to be safe on plastics and phone screens in my car for the occasional wipe down of the screen surface.
Is it not vapor deposited diamond-sapphire coated or a "Gorilla" glass ?

I use an old Nokia windows phone that I still use, Likely Schott Xensation glass,. 10 years old and not a scratch on the "naked" screen and never a broken case.

I''m not buying 1 dollar chinese junk stuff for 35 bucks and turn my phone into an unmanageble monster.

Same with the car touch screen. I'm not going to beat it up.

The knob is what sealed the deal on the “no” for us.
My wife HATES the new subaru outback with a knob-less HVAC. Can't manage it blindly. Good luck hitting some icon with a fingertip whilst travelling at speed on a bumpy road.
Even old fashioned slider levers were a pain in cars on bumpy roads vs Knobs.

+1 i put gorilla glass protectors on pnone and vehicle displays. look on Amzon for the size you need. the kits usually contain cleaning instructions and sticky dust removers as well. the glass uses an aqueous gel type substance to stick to the display so can be peeled off if needed.

My parents asked me to install a tempered glass screen protector on their 2021 Toyota Venza with the 12.3in screen. No liquid involved other than a damp microfiber to clean/dust the screen before install. Took some time to get it applied perfectly, but it has worked out fine. Ordered it from Amazon...first one arrived shattered (it is a big rectangular piece of tempered glass), Amazon shipped a replacement and it arrived safely.

On their previous Highlander, I installed a screen protector film on the 7" touchscreen in that vehicle. Held up just fine for the 8 years they owned it and made cleaning the screen simple. The kit for that vehicle also came with a protector for the smaller driver information display at the top of the dash above the touchscreen. Also was fine for 8 years.

My wife HATES the new subaru outback with a knob-less HVAC. Can't manage it blindly. Good luck hitting some icon with a fingertip whilst travelling at speed on a bumpy road.
Even old fashioned slider levers were a pain in cars on bumpy roads vs Knobs.

The Mazda knob isn’t a traditional adjustment knob, it’s the means by which you navigate the infotainment. It was infuriating.

We like the VW system. Simple, straightforward, with just enough buttons to get you where you need to go quickly, and physical knobs for volume and tuning.

Yes, me did on me RAM 1500 8.4 UConnect and it took a couple of hours to get it right.

The Mazda knob isn’t a traditional adjustment knob, it’s the means by which you navigate the infotainment. It was infuriating.

We like the VW system. Simple, straightforward, with just enough buttons to get you where you need to go quickly, and physical knobs for volume and tuning.
The Base TS system in my VW Jetta was was well thought out. I particularly liked the Radio options for listing in a table or even having and old fashioned horizontal tuning dial if wanted. The AC controls were knobs on the base car

I also own a 2019 Mazda CX 5 that has a "touchscreen". But the touch function only works when the vehicle is stationary. I have become quite adept though at operating the Command Knob as it is called and don't find the lack of a touch screen function while driving to be a problem at all.

The car in question is a 2021 Jaguar F Type. The darn touchscreen is needed for the majority of functions. Luckily the HVAC system still has manual switches and dials. But one must use the touchscreen for the audio system and navigation. I think there is some voice activation functions but haven't figured them out yet.

So I have one car that I never touch the screen on, and another that needs digital manipulation a lot of the time. And it is already starting to look like my phone screen with all the smears and fingerprints. I'll see if I can find a protector that doesn't require getting the contact surface wet with soapy water in order to adhere to the screen. I don't like the idea of trying to squeegee the excess water out around the edges and having it run down into the dashboard.

Back