Has anyone heard about problematic early 2000s Ford alternators?

Just watched this FBM video. Having to install/pull out multiple OEM and aftermarket alternators until one works seems like a terribly inefficient method, but there's gotta be some measurable commonality along the ones that aren't bad.

I watched same video recently. Interesting...... My former 2007 f150 had no issues when alternator was replaced with no name aftermarket

Didn't watch video.

I've haven't seen problematic alternators. Have seen tons of junk rebuilds from various autopart stores and big named online sellers. I tend to use salvage yard used tested and armature shop rebuilds.

My only recommendation to all replacing an alternator.... make sure that you test your power/ground cables for resistance and fully charge the battery prior to using the new alternator. Too many will cook the new alternator when it overheats trying to charge the discharged battery. I see this way too often. I'd even consider testing the new alternator prior to installation.

Pretty sure that the alternator in my 2004 Ford Crown Vic (265K miles or so) is the original. I had to replace the clutch pulley on it, and I looked at the brushes while I had it out, and it was pretty obvious that they had some wear to them.

Bought a 2000 Taurus new.
One of the many recalls on that car was for the alternator. It was replaced.
When I got rid of the car at 275K, it still had the same alternator in it.
The Irony of it was that same year I bought a 2000 Odyssey new for Mrs. Tdbo.
The Odyssey not only matched the Taurus on number of recalls, it beat it by one.

Back