Has anyone figured out what exactly is the stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
in a Fram High Mileage oil filter I have been searching and searching and nothing comes up within the first 20 pages. I do use these filters in my Cavalier and it does seem to keep the oil cleaner for longer, I use it with Castrol High Mileage 5w30 and will be switching to the edge after I use all of the Castrol HM. I still have 2 Fram High Mileage filters left and will use the rest and then switch to k&n oil filters, but I would still really like to know what is the time released stuff in these oil filters and if anyone else has used them?
Thanks a lot and Greatly appreciated!

The famous Framrrrr with PTFE in the media was known as the Double Guard, now discontinued.

Don't know what the HM gel is, likely proprietary, but it says "Gel additives help balance oil PH and helps neutralize acids and helps slows down viscosity increase" Basically it's an orange can with the gel/goo basket and runs ~$6.45 at Wally. Gimmick imo.

If you're interested, there's a youtube of a dissected HM filter by a member. Google, Fram High Mileage Filter.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
The famous Framrrrr with PTFE in the media was known as the Double Guard, now discontinued.

Don't know what the HM gel is, likely proprietary, but it says "Gel additives help balance oil PH and helps neutralize acids and helps slows down viscosity increase" Basically it's an orange can with the gel/goo basket and runs ~$6.45 at Wally. Gimmick imo.

If you're interested, there's a youtube of a dissected HM filter by a member. Google, Fram High Mileage Filter.

I'm not going to go into what is in a Fram filter or what it may do.

But as far as a gimmick, you have heard of coolant filters for heavy duty diesel engines? They been around since the 70's that I know of with a chemical pellet that reinhibits the cooling system. Timed release versions came out in the 90's.

What do you think multiple chemical companies sell at auto part stores to pour into your crankcase? Do you think those are gimmicks as well? Or is it not possible to create a timed release version of some chemical additive that is dispensed through a filter can?

And btw..I can state for a fact Champion Labs in the 70's-80's did test Slick 50 to make sure the media did not remove the properties of the chemical package Slick 50 had. It didn't. Therefore, imho, the Fram filter media will not restrict the ability of the additive to be absorbed into the oil itself. Whatever it may be.

Whether one wants to use it or not is up to them. But I suspect the target market is those who use additives in their engines. As for the cost /benefit ratio. Not my job..
wink.gif

As I put it, it's a gimmick "imo". I think along the lines of what Mark S said in previously linked thread here "I think I would prefer to select my oil for engine protection and my filter to "filter"". River_rat added a further comment saying "I think a blob of unknown gell on the clean side of the filter is asking for trouble--especially considering the maker."

The 'especially considering the maker' is an important point imo. This is the same company that marketed/sold the Double Guard filter using PTFE, it seems fairly clear now that Teflon has no place in, nor was it designed for use an engine. Speaks for itself. And unlike most additives that the user knows at least some perhap most of the contents, as the thread topic suggests, the gel composition is unknown.

I'll choose a quality oil, and quality filter for a reasonable oci for that combination. Then, if I choose to use an oil additive it would be based on research and information posted here on Bitog not what Fram chooses. However, I don't regularly use an oil additive, more belief in the first part of this thought.

That said, if others choose to the HM with it's unknown additive fine. I just don't believe in the concept or the price, thus the gimmick.

Originally Posted By: Filter guy

I'm not going to go into what is in a Fram filter or what it may do.

But as far as a gimmick, you have heard of coolant filters for heavy duty diesel engines? They been around since the 70's that I know of with a chemical pellet that reinhibits the cooling system. Timed release versions came out in the 90's.

What do you think multiple chemical companies sell at auto part stores to pour into your crankcase? Do you think those are gimmicks as well? Or is it not possible to create a timed release version of some chemical additive that is dispensed through a filter can?

And btw..I can state for a fact Champion Labs in the 70's-80's did test Slick 50 to make sure the media did not remove the properties of the chemical package Slick 50 had. It didn't. Therefore, imho, the Fram filter media will not restrict the ability of the additive to be absorbed into the oil itself. Whatever it may be.

Whether one wants to use it or not is up to them. But I suspect the target market is those who use additives in their engines. As for the cost /benefit ratio. Not my job..
wink.gif

Well said.

As I put it, it's a gimmick "imo". I think along the lines of what Mark S said in previously linked thread here "I think I would prefer to select my oil for engine protection and my filter to "filter"". River_rat added a further comment saying "I think a blob of unknown gell on the clean side of the filter is asking for trouble--especially considering the maker."

The 'especially considering the maker' is an important point imo. This is the same company that marketed/sold the Double Guard filter using PTFE, it seems fairly clear now that Teflon has no place in, nor was it designed for use an engine. Speaks for itself. And unlike most additives that the user knows at least some perhap most of the contents, as the thread topic suggests, the gel composition is unknown.

I'll choose a quality oil, and quality filter for a reasonable oci for that combination. Then, if I choose to use an oil additive it would be based on research and information posted here on Bitog not what Fram chooses. However, I don't regularly use an oil additive, more belief in the first part of this thought.

That said, if others choose to the HM with it's unknown additive fine. I just don't believe in the concept or the price, thus the gimmick.

So you don't know what the additive is and yet you can draw a conclusion. Superb stuff there.

You haven't seen the testing results. Have no clue how it works. Don't know who helped develop the additive. And there are enough chemical or oil companies worldwide who sell engine oil treatment products from which Fram could utilize.

My car just turned 69,000 miles. Only ever change the Mobil 1 oil every 6-7,000 miles. Never use aftermarket oil additive products. But i am sure not going to take shots at those who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back