Has anyone changed the tranny fluid on a Ford 6R80

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

My 14 Mustang GT just hit 25,000 and I want to change the transmission fluid early to get out the break in material. I bought another factory tranny pan and had a drain plug bung welded in so I can do drop and fills later on.

Does anyone know if you remove the small dipstick down on the transmission while the car is off, if the fluid will spill out? I plan on measuring how much fluid is removed when I drop the pan and put that much back in with a little extra for what the filter might still have in it.

I know there is a video on youtube that shows you how to change it on this trans but I don't have a lift, just ramps, so I don't have a good way to get the car level.

Or, should I just take it to the dealer for them to do it and hope they will install my transmission pan. I know this transmission has a internal thermostat so getting accurate levels are more difficult without it being on a machine. Thanks.

Wayne

my wife's 2011 V6 Mustang with 6R80 has a factory combination drain & fill plug but no dipstick, so no additional pan nor pan mods are required (or advisable) on her vehicle. I plan to take it to Bring Your Own Parts and let them do the labor since they have lifts and I don't while I supply the parts when she's away on a business trip. She'd let it go until the OM recommended value of 150K miles but I'd like to change it before 50K miles - she's at 43K miles now.

Last edited:
Ramps should be ok to change the ATF with. Just measure how much fluid you drained, and pour in the same amount
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Ramps should be ok to change the ATF with. Just measure how much fluid you drained, and pour in the same amount
smile.gif

And if the level was low to begin with?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
smile.gif

Then add additional fluid in 2-3 oz increments as you check your fluid level hot while on a level surface. Go slow adding the fluid as it's probably easier to add, then to pump or drain excess out.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
smile.gif

Then add additional fluid in 2-3 oz increments as you check your fluid level hot while on a level surface. Go slow adding the fluid as it's probably easier to add, then to pump or drain excess out.

Exactly. You just describe the filling/checking procedure, which you have to do anyway on this car.

Why [censored] around with measuring the old oil?

Thanks for the replies. This car does not have a traditional dipstick. It has a small one located under a cap on the right front side of the transmission. You have to access it from under the car. Unless you have a lift or some way to get the car level up high enough to get under it, it's very difficult to check transmission fluid or even add fluid.

The reason for measuring fluid is that you don't have to have the car level to put the same amount of fluid in the transmission that you took out and the car does not have to be level to drop the pan.

This transmission has an internal thermostat that requires the transmission fluid to be at a certain temp before you can get an accurate fluid level. The dealer wanted to charge me $120 just to check the transmission fluid level because they said it has to be put on a machine to monitor the fluid temps.

I don't know if they are telling me the truth or not so I wanted to know if anyone on here had changed fluid on this transmission and had success doing it.

Quote:
Does anyone know if you remove the small dipstick down on the transmission while the car is off, if the fluid will spill out?

Fluid will not spill. I recently checked my truck. I bought all the stuff to change mine but haven't pulled the trigger. The 60K+ fluid looked great so I kicked the can a bit. You have to loosen the dipstick to break the vacuum before dropping the pan.

Thanks guys. I forgot that I do have an aftermarket dipstick from Performance Automatic that goes up into the engine compartment. If I install that, I will be able to check the fluid with the car on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back