Harley Davidson Owners w/100,000 Miles on Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RedVic
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I thought harley riders just rode to the bar and back lol

No they ride it from their home garage to the dealer on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings go to breakfast or lunch or maybe dinner and back home. After a year or two of that and about 6,000 to 12,000 miles on the bike they then trade it in to the Harley Dealer at a loss and complain about how the dealer raped them on the trade value then they justify to everyone that they buy their Harleys because they hold their value.

It is an endless cycle.

And don't forget..leathered down in 90 degree heat.

Originally Posted By: xl2006
Harleys don't die..everyone I have ever owned is still running in one incarnation or another and I have been riding for over 30 years. Point being. Harleys have a soul.

Yep, and the tooth fairy will leave money under your pillow too...

Seen lots of dead AMF era bikes, especially Ironheads. The only people that like to keep ironheads going tend to be gluttons for punishment.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: dr2152
How do you know that one is better made than another? Do you have facts or are you just a pretending to be a bike rider.

I have owned Honda,Yamaha,Kawasaki,BMW,BSA,Triumph,Harley,Jawa,Husqvarna,and Bridgestone motorcycles. All of them had design problems and I do the work on every bike I've owned and do work on friends bikes. I rode a new Goldwing last night and will ride it today as soon as the rain stops. Gas mileage is very low vs the BMW GTL. 30 vs 38 for 250 miles. I rode a new Harley Limited mileage was 39. I'll get a Harley tomorrow again for 2 days.
Wife hated the BMW rear seat position. She said there is no way she can do 500 mile days. Cost to change seats and add GPS to match Honda and Harley would be $1300. Not sure she would like it after I spent the money.

I'll have two 2014 touring bikes in the garage for us to ride. The Limited will need the drivers seat lowered. That's about $150 local. Goldwing will also need the seat lowered so thats $200 local. (bigger seat pan) Limited as a 6 speed but Goldwing has reverse. This is what I've found so far on these 3 touring bikes.

Buy the Harley then...good luck with that...and is there any particular reason you're not considering a Victory?

Rode a Vision and it was ok. Wife didn't like it. Tried to get a Cross Country Tour but no one will let you have one for a full day. I don't know anyone that has one that I can borrow. Price on the Cross Country anniversary is the same as the Goldwing or Limited. Rode a Kingpin and a Vegas years ago.

So why do you hate Harley's? I have two friends on 2010 Limited that have had no problems.
One is at 56k and the other at 95K. When did you last own one or even ride one?

No they ride it from their home garage to the dealer on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings go to breakfast or lunch or maybe dinner and back home. After a year or two of that and about 6,000 to 12,000 miles on the bike they then trade it in to the Harley Dealer at a loss and complain about how the dealer raped them on the trade value then they justify to everyone that they buy their Harleys because they hold their value.

It is an endless cycle.

Yep.
Leathers might contribute to some sweat when moving slowly in traffic,and those squids on sport bikes sure look cool in their shorts and t-shirts on those hot days
HOWEVER
Those squids in shorts look even cooler when they are gauzed up and they get to tell cool stories about the pretty nurses when they are in the hospital for multiple skin grafts.
I bet they are even on first name basis with the nurses and Dr's.

Dress for the slide,not the ride.

I've seen guys having to lay their bikes down trying to avoid cars cutting them off and other than hurt pride,but the rider walked away with bruises.
Road rash at 30mph on jeans=surgery.
That same slide with leathers is bruises at worst.

But yeah. They sure do make you sweat in hot weather when stuck in traffic,I don't spend a lot of time stopped when I ride though.
So go ahead and make fun of those guys who choose to ride with leathers. I guess they value their skin,which I suppose is a great reason to make jokes about them.

How do you know that one is better made than another? Do you have facts or are you just a pretending to be a bike rider.

I have owned Honda,Yamaha,Kawasaki,BMW,BSA,Triumph,Harley,Jawa,Husqvarna,and Bridgestone motorcycles. All of them had design problems and I do the work on every bike I've owned and do work on friends bikes. I rode a new Goldwing last night and will ride it today as soon as the rain stops. Gas mileage is very low vs the BMW GTL. 30 vs 38 for 250 miles. I rode a new Harley Limited mileage was 39. I'll get a Harley tomorrow again for 2 days.
Wife hated the BMW rear seat position. She said there is no way she can do 500 mile days. Cost to change seats and add GPS to match Honda and Harley would be $1300. Not sure she would like it after I spent the money.

I'll have two 2014 touring bikes in the garage for us to ride. The Limited will need the drivers seat lowered. That's about $150 local. Goldwing will also need the seat lowered so thats $200 local. (bigger seat pan) Limited as a 6 speed but Goldwing has reverse. This is what I've found so far on these 3 touring bikes.

Buy the Harley then...good luck with that...and is there any particular reason you're not considering a Victory?

Rode a Vision and it was ok. Wife didn't like it. Tried to get a Cross Country Tour but no one will let you have one for a full day. I don't know anyone that has one that I can borrow. Price on the Cross Country anniversary is the same as the Goldwing or Limited. Rode a Kingpin and a Vegas years ago.

So why do you hate Harley's? I have two friends on 2010 Limited that have had no problems.

The last one I rode was one of the newer ones, forget which model, but it was a bagger and it had the 103 motor. It seemed plenty comfortable for long trips and such, but power was disappointing, and it handled like a dump truck. I've ridden many Harleys over the years and none of them ever impressed me. They all vibrate like a paint shaker at idle...not bad at any engine speed above idle, but couldn't deal with stuff looking like it was going to fly off the bike when sitting a red lights. I spend most of my free time talking, reading, or experiencing motorcycles in some way, shape, or form and I've seen a lot of all brands of bikes being compared to Harleys. There have been very few that aren't more powerful, or won't outhandle Harleys, and most are just as comfortable or more so. Sure, a person can make Harleys last a long time, but if you're gonna spend that much time in the saddle, why not get something that's just as comfortable, more powerful, and handles better?

Most of my rides are in armored jacket and pants. Leather in the cold months. Helmet of course. I had enough road rash in my early riding years.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I've seen guys having to lay their bikes down trying to avoid cars cutting them off and other than hurt pride,but the rider walked away with bruises.

They wouldn't even have bruises if they used their brakes or swerved. What is the exact process of intentionally laying down a bike? Besides locking up your brakes in a panic, I mean.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete

They wouldn't even have bruises if they used their brakes or swerved. What is the exact process of intentionally laying down a bike? Besides locking up your brakes in a panic, I mean.

"He had to lay his bike down" is usually code for "He lacks the bike control skills necessary to avoid hazards".

The last one I rode was one of the newer ones, forget which model, but it was a bagger and it had the 103 motor. It seemed plenty comfortable for long trips and such, but power was disappointing, and it handled like a dump truck. I've ridden many Harleys over the years and none of them ever impressed me. They all vibrate like a paint shaker at idle...not bad at any engine speed above idle, but couldn't deal with stuff looking like it was going to fly off the bike when sitting a red lights. I spend most of my free time talking, reading, or experiencing motorcycles in some way, shape, or form and I've seen a lot of all brands of bikes being compared to Harleys. There have been very few that aren't more powerful, or won't outhandle Harleys, and most are just as comfortable or more so. Sure, a person can make Harleys last a long time, but if you're gonna spend that much time in the saddle, why not get something that's just as comfortable, more powerful, and handles better?

Not sure what you rode but HP and torque are almost the same as a Victory. I can't tell any different on the one's I rode. Harley baggers vibrate at idle but smooth out as soon as you get off idle. I call a friend with a Cross Road and he said his Victory and his Road King rode the same and handled like they were twins. I had stuff vibrate off my VTX and Road Star. I've had the floor boards on Harley Ultras and Goldwings dragging on the Dragon. Both were in control and had power in reserve. I don't hear a lot of people comparing bikes to just Harley. Baggers compared to baggers yes. Sounds like you need to ride more. Suns out so still time for 100 miles before dinner.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Seen lots of dead AMF era bikes, especially Ironheads. The only people that like to keep ironheads going tend to be gluttons for punishment.

I had a few Ironheads, and having one is usually a labor of love. I know folks that an ironhead is all they will ride. Hardcore diehards. The old bikes don't compare with the rubbermounted sportsters. There are more than a few members of the xlforum that have over 150,000 miles, and one rider with a 2003 rigid mount 1250 upgrade with over 225,000 miles. But of course these are all later model sportsters with the evolution motor and even after 04 rubber mounting. I believe them to be the most reliable and easiest to maintain bikes Harley makes.

Last edited:
Grampi has a dislike for Harleys, because back in the day, he was putting around on his little scooter. His girlfriend was on the back. They pulled up to a red light, next to a Harley. His girlfriend shouts, "Oooooh! A REAL biker on a REAL motorcycle!!". She jumped off, got on the backseat of the Harley, and they rode off into the sunset. Grampi pulled off to the side of the road, bawling his eyes out.The next day, Grampi was determined to get a REAL bike. He went to the HD dealership. As soon as he walked in, they took a look at him, and everyone in there started laughing hysterically. He turned around and ran, jumped on his little scooter, and rode back home, bawling the whole time. Momma held him for hours than night, feeding him milk and cookies, until he fell asleep.

Last edited:

Either you sweat or you bleed...

HarleyBluesBike_zpsede25dd9.jpg

HarleyShop01.jpg

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Now for something that proves all the Harley hater's wrong. You won't find a metric bike with these miles on it. http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/46024032.html

FXR touring model. The FXR was one of the best riding bikes they ever built. And as with any machine of the modern area. Just maintain it, don't be doing poser burnouts and wheelies with it, replace parts as needed..It will run long past a persons [censored] in the wind of a life.

Yup absolutely! Take care of the machine & the machine will take care of you! Simple but some people find this basic principle hard to comprehend!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
You can get nice leathers without looking like a power ranger. Adjust your knee pucks.

Is it just Roadracing style leathers in your opinion that makes one look like a power ranger?

As far as the knee sliders, they look properly positioned to me. My leathers are a different brand, but the knee sliders are in the same position, and they work very well on the track, and the occasional knee-down on a deserted canyon road.

It is an endless cycle.

Yep.
Leathers might contribute to some sweat when moving slowly in traffic,and those squids on sport bikes sure look cool in their shorts and t-shirts on those hot days
HOWEVER
Those squids in shorts look even cooler when they are gauzed up and they get to tell cool stories about the pretty nurses when they are in the hospital for multiple skin grafts.
I bet they are even on first name basis with the nurses and Dr's.

Dress for the slide,not the ride.

Road rash at 30mph on jeans=surgery.
That same slide with leathers is bruises at worst.

But yeah. They sure do make you sweat in hot weather when stuck in traffic,I don't spend a lot of time stopped when I ride though.
So go ahead and make fun of those guys who choose to ride with leathers. I guess they value their skin,which I suppose is a great reason to make jokes about them.

I wear full gear...but none of it is leather. I honestly don't remember the last Harley rider I saw in full gear...it's usually a half helmet (or no helmet), a leather vest, jeans, and chaps. (Note: typical leather chaps offer NO protection.)

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

Either you sweat or you bleed...

HarleyBluesBike_zpsede25dd9.jpg

HarleyShop01.jpg

Actually, I found mesh gear keeps me nice & cool!

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Grampi has a dislike for Harleys, because back in the day, he was putting around on his little scooter. His girlfriend was on the back. They pulled up to a red light, next to a Harley. His girlfriend shouts, "Oooooh! A REAL biker on a REAL motorcycle!!". She jumped off, got on the backseat of the Harley, and they rode off into the sunset. Grampi pulled off to the side of the road, bawling his eyes out.The next day, Grampi was determined to get a REAL bike. He went to the HD dealership. As soon as he walked in, they took a look at him, and everyone in there started laughing hysterically. He turned around and ran, jumped on his little scooter, and rode back home, bawling the whole time. Momma held him for hours than night, feeding him milk and cookies, until he fell asleep.

Typical Harley idiot...you have nothing to support your side of the argument so you turn to personal attacks....why don't you go back to praying to your motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back