Hardened ceramic (?) pad deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
2008 VW rabbit, 70k miles, original pads.

The tan-ish colored coating and deposits on the wheels from the brake pads. This car doesn't shed the dark black dust instantly the way that my BMW and Saab do. I'm guessing these are ceramic?

I've used sonax cleaner, the color changing kind - no change. I've tried a brush and a wheel woolie. Nothing happened. Scratching with a fingernail did remove it pretty easily, so sufficient mechanical force seems to work.

So what should be tried next? Magic eraser?

2F2551CE-7C58-4CF0-8A5D-A949BFE56347_zpsz1hm4pmq.jpg

12C9002F-38BB-472B-A8C0-CC2891B419C6_zpsjm0jiytj.jpg

30000EAE-5B3F-438E-B192-BEB22AAA711B_zpsplckd8wm.jpg

A melamine foam sponge should take the deposits right off. You may want to polish and seal the finish after cleaning.

Oven cleaner, the kind that comes in an aerosol can. I've brought many alloy wheels back to life using it. Just make sure you're in a well ventilated area, that stuff is hard on the lungs! You only need to give the affected area a small spray, then clean it and the grunge off with a soft cloth.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Oven cleaner, the kind that comes in an aerosol can. I've brought many alloy wheels back to life using it. Just make sure you're in a well ventilated area, that stuff is hard on the lungs! You only need to give the affected area a small spray, then clean it and the grunge off with a soft cloth.

Oven cleaner has lye in it, which is great if you want to remove fat, because the lye turns the fat into soap. But what other caustic chemicals are in oven cleaner and do they harm clearcoat and paint?

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Oven cleaner has lye in it, which is great if you want to remove fat, because the lye turns the fat into soap. But what other caustic chemicals are in oven cleaner and do they harm clearcoat and paint?

I can assure you, it doesn't harm the paint. Have used it dozens of times over the years with no issues.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
The oven cleaner probably isn't too great for the tires either.

You don't use enough to even get any on the tyres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back