cleaning ceramic brake dust off aluminum wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Jeep GC has aluminum wheels and ceramic brakes in the front. The pads give off a kind of rust/black colored stain on one side of the wheel spokes. Not a gray/black like semi-metallic pads.

I see at Wallymart Ice brand wheel & tire cleaner. I also see Mr Clean magic erasers for wheels. What to use. How about a plain Mr Clean magic eraser rather than one specific for wheels? Will the Ice brand wheel cleaner protect the wheel do new dust does not stick?

Re: using a plain Mr Clean magic eraser rather than one specific for wheels - DON'T do it as it will dull the finish. ME is similar to 2500 to 3000 grit finishing paper.

Don't use any acidic products - do your research first.

After you get the wheels clean, use a quality sealant to help protect the finish.

Regards,
GEWB

Since I have been using ceramic brake pads, I haven't had to use anything special. I just wash the wheels as normal with a bucket of soapy water/sponge & rince. I have had to remove other grime such as grease/tar from the wheels in which I may use a bit of WD-40 or similar on the spong itself to loosen/desolve the "whatever"!

If you have a discoloration in the wheels that soapy water/sponge will not remove then, there are products that others have mentioned or will chime in. I use my own products/tricks for that!

Originally Posted By: GEWB
Re: using a plain Mr Clean magic eraser rather than one specific for wheels - DON'T do it as it will dull the finish. ME is similar to 2500 to 3000 grit finishing paper.

Don't use any acidic products - do your research first.

After you get the wheels clean, use a quality sealant to help protect the finish.

Regards,
GEWB

How about the Mr Clean Magic Eraser that is specific to car wheels. Will that also effect the finish of the wheel?

I haven't used the wheel eraser product. I tend to be conservative when it comes to my car - always start with the least aggressive method first.

That being said, there are good wheel cleaner products out there. I start with an all purpose cleaner such as Meguiars or Surf City Grime Destroyer (good stuff). On heavy build up I use Detailer’s Pro Series Wheel Cleaner from Autogeek; SONAX Wheel Cleaner is also very good.

Regards,
GEWB

If it's chrome aluminum rims, then you can use S100 soap. Find it at your local Harley store or other such bike shop. Stuff works wonders on chrome.

My aluminum wheels have a clear coat so what I do is use a mild spray-on de-greaser for the engine (the soapy kind not hydrocarbon kind), then scrub with a wheel brush. You can use handsoap w/ water in a bottle too.

After you clean and dry the wheel throughly, spray some Armor All Wheel Protectant. It works very well for keeping brake dust off.. it's just a little pricey

The chrome-wheel cleaners contain phosphoric acid. They will dull unprotected aluminum like your calipers if you accidently overspray. The dulling is permanent too. They're safe for calipers if they're powder coated but be careful not to get it on bare metal like your bleeder nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back