Hard to read dipstick

My scion XA's plastic dipstick is literally the same color as motor oil. almost impossible to read unless the lighting is just perfect. I also have a 99 Saab in which the dipstick has a black plastic ball at the end. I guess if the plastic ball area is wet the oil level is fine but very difficult to see motor oil on a black surface. Wish dipsticks were white or similar contrasting color to make reading oil level easier. Yes, I'm getting older and visions not what it use to be :)

Yeah, touch and roll it on a paper towel to see the level.
I am working on a 2013 Civic with the yellow plastic dip stick.
PITA is right.

On my wife's Sienna it is silver stainless, my old eyes had hard time reading. I sanded about 3 inches sprayed primer and then sprayed white and now I can see it clearly.

On my wife's Sienna it is silver stainless, my old eyes had hard time reading. I sanded about 3 inches sprayed primer and then sprayed white and now I can see it clearly.
great idea. I was wondering why they just don't make the dipstick tip white to begin with or in the case of my scion XA any color that contrast with oil instead of the current plastic brown / orange color that looks just like oil LOL

My wifes Honda has an orange dipstick that makes it hard to read as well. The metal one in my F150 is better, but boy that PP is hard to see when you first change it. I usually have a hard time reading it until it darkens up some. Good thing it uses an even 6L of oil or I'd be all over the place trying to figure out how much to put in when going by the dipstick

How about some reading glasses. I normally have the 2.25 strength but I do have the strongest ones Wally had for helping with little things.

My car has an all metal dipstick (except for the handle on top) and cross hatching in the min/max area. Despite that, it's impossible to see the oil level with clean oil. I used a dipstick from another brand car for a while, then I ground away the cross hatching on one side which makes the level more clear.s

Now i recheck the oil lvl after a few thousand miles, the oil is black then (diesel engine) and stopped worrying about it.

Had a few customers where the plastic tips got brittle and broke off, some after only 3 years... i'll take my metal disptick then...

How about some reading glasses. I normally have the 2.25 strength but I do have the strongest ones Wally had for helping with little things.
I have several pairs scattered throughout the house. reading glasses and perfect lighting is about the only way I can read the dipstick

Back