Hard to find bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife likes her Hyo Comet...but wants a fairing for longer rides. Bearing that in mind, just about everything else is wide open. I've been of little help, since I know scooters better than motorcycles.

Her requirements:
Not an enormous, heavy bike. (No Goldwings!)
Not a sportbike.
Full fairing with good wind protection.
Medium-sized (400-800cc) engine of any configuration...liquid cooling and EFI nice but not required.
ABS would also be nice, but not required.
No Euro bikes. (No nearby service places we trust.)
At least some storage.
Not costing a fortune.
Not needing weird maintainence/service/parts would be nice. (No needing to ship stuff from East Jabib for a brake job or pulling the engine to adjust the valves, please! Note this rules out a BMW C650GT scoot.)

Must accommodate a 5'8" rider with long legs comfortably. Highway pegs would be nice. (When I say long legs, I mean it--she can flat-foot a Goldwing or a BMW 1150GS.)

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a bike that would work well for those requirements. Your best bet might be finding a bike she likes and adding a fairing and saddle bags.

Does she like your Burgman? Maybe something along those lines?

Maybe you could add a windscreen onto the Comet?

Suzuki DL 650. ABS, EFI, liquid cooled, light weight, windshield, small upper fairing, 60mpg, upright seating position, trunk and saddle bags available. Good price new, even better slightly used. Uh-Oh, just thought about you not liking chain driven bikes, might not work after all.

Why not a used Sportster? look for one that someone has already put a windshield and bags on. They are not that heavy, parts are available everywhere, they've only been making them for 57 years. There's no valve adjustment with hydraulic lifters. All the parts that need service are right there in the open. They get in the 50 mpg range. And if you ever get tired of it, they're easy to sell. Whats not to like?.,,

I'm going with BigCahuna here. Sportster is probably the #1 bike in Michigan for women. I see lots of girls on them so they must be fairly easy to master.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Why not a used Sportster?

I thought about suggesting it, but he's bashed Harley in the past, so I don't see him going that route. About $5,000 would get him a bike already set up the way he wants it.

A big problem with Sportsters is that I'm not sure I have EVER seen a stock one for sale used. I wonder if de-butchering it might cost as much as the bike. How much does a set of stock mufflers for a Sportster cost at the stealer? Also, do ANY have ABS?

V-strom is a possibility, though she's not sold on the wind/weather protection. Weird question: will they take highway pegs?

I was going to say a Triumph Bonneville or an America LT (Comes with screen and saddlebags)would be a perfect fit as there is certainly enough aftermarket, but you said no Euro bikes.

Maybe you could get something like a Vulcan 900 Kawasaki and just add on the parts you would like.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
A big problem with Sportsters is that I'm not sure I have EVER seen a stock one for sale used.

If the internals have been modified, I'd stay away from it. If the intake, exhaust, and a few cosmetics mods have been done, I'd have no problem buying one.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I was going to say a Triumph Bonneville or an America LT (Comes with screen and saddlebags)would be a perfect fit as there is certainly enough aftermarket, but you said no Euro bikes.

There is nobody in the area I trust to service a Triumph. There are several who can service any Japanese bike, and no less than a dozen H-D places. Also, Triumphs seem to be pricey!

Quote:
Maybe you could get something like a Vulcan 900 Kawasaki and just add on the parts you would like.

Maybe.

It looks like you'll have to settle for something that's factory close, then add stuff you might want.

They have no storage and the "sportbike" riding position. (Leaning forward, feet back.)

It's bigger than she wants...but what about a Kawasaki Concours 1000?

What was wrong with the CTX700 I mentioned earlier? That Honda 670cc engine is awesome.

honda-ctx700-candy-red-right-side-800x600-610x406-c.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
They have no storage and the "sportbike" riding position. (Leaning forward, feet back.)

It's bigger than she wants...but what about a Kawasaki Concours 1000?

The Concours 1000 is dated but still a nice dependable long ranger. There are excellnt examples in Michigan for nice low prices, older touring type people own them and they took good care of them. There's tons of parts available and easy to repair....but in most cases they are bullet proof.

How bout a used one of these Kawasaki 650 Versys ? http://www.motorcycle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/093014-2015-kawasaki-versys-650-04.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back