Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. Whatever you say.

Here is a fresh coat of Griot's One-Step Sealant:

Nice, tight beads, what you want. This was after a light sprinkle. Not enough water to sheet.

And here is Meguiar's Fast Finish hit with the hose:

The Carrera doesn't really have any surfaces horizontal enough to hold water; it just runs off. I can drive it in the rain and it's dry when I park it.

The size of the beads will vary depending on the spray pattern of the nozzle and the velocity of the watery plus the angle of the spray. Tight beads are better but active sheeting is preferred. On a horizontal surface sheeting becomes difficult.

There are too many variables involved to really get a good test.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Hmm. Whatever you say.

Here is a fresh coat of Griot's One-Step Sealant:

Bingo...nice...now that too is what I'm talking about...nice coagulated beads (tight and typically larger than the 845 photo example) that will have the water run off....and you said you got that after a light rain sprinkle...very good. Exactly the same bead look on my wife's car and my SUV.

Cool pics and nice results. Nice wheels too!

That too is what my photo using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid shows...

Originally Posted By: GMZ
This is ULW (left) vs 845 (right) after 7 days of rain. Hood was clayed prior to application. After seeing these results I tossed the remaining ULW and went with 845. Water beading and hydrophobicity may not be important to some but in areas like the PNW that have constant rain it helps immensely with reduction in water spots.

845 is like $16 on Amazon and a bottle will last 30+ applications. You don't even need to leave your house and endure WM.

I put a spray nozzle on 845 and use it as sort of a "spray wax" (it has to be warm for this to be effective). 845 is awesome and I even have used it on trim before. The restoration shop I worked at we used it to seal cast aluminum and various parts before installation. Really good stuff and always have a bottle at my shop.

Mmmmm...all these photos remind me it's been too long since the sled has had a good wash. I postponed when it actually rained here for several days in June!? Very odd that.

I used NF for a long, long time. Worked fine for me. It was hard to remove when applied too thick (my bad) and it did & does stain black trim & rubber. Didn't like that at all. But it was cheap and familiar.

Several years ago now, I decided it was finally time to compound the sled's clear coat. I used Meg's ultimate compound + a neighbors flex machine with my own new pads. This removed 15+ yrs of scratches and made the clear coat very smooth. I was convinced to try something new, so I went with DuraGloss CCP (clear coat polish). I got lucky and found it at a single old-school auto parts store. They had the whole line. I also bought a bottle of AquaWax.

CCP isn't a 'polish', not sure why they call it that. It goes on very easily, doesn't stain black trim nor rubber and is very easy to remove. The result was the sled's boring white paint actually shined! Definitely an improvement over NF.

First time it rained I was stunned. It's like the water was standing straight up. The hood was covered with very small, consistently sized dots of water. I'd never witnessed that before.

When it came time to wash, I was rather amazed at just how much dirt would be removed with just a water spray. Before any suds....then again I do have a water-softener which greatly helps.

Post suds & a rinse, I'd squeege off the water, mist on a bit of AquaWax, spread it around with my hands and then blow-dry with an electric leaf blower. Easy-peasy. That insane water beading persisted close to a year if I remember right. I'm a happy DG fan. The sled shines better with DG than NF. Boring white with no depth needs all the help it can get: DG does that.

Is DG better than Meguiars ultimate? I don't know. Never tried it. I was very impressed with their ultimate compound though using the Flex machine.

If I remember, I'll snap a photo of a water spray before I wash. Can't even remember when the last time was I washed it...

BITOG thread: White Car Care

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
That insane water beading persisted close to a year if I remember right.

Cool Beans (pun intended)!

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
845 is awesome and I even have used it on trim before. The restoration shop I worked at we used it to seal cast aluminum and various parts before installation. Really good stuff and always have a bottle at my shop.

Interesting. On cast aluminum...since there is no painted surface...wondering what any wax sealant product would adhere to...and how long it might actually last. Most such products are chemically designed with polymers to adhere to paint in contrast to raw metal (which it nonporous).

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Several years ago now, I decided it was finally time to compound the sled's clear coat. I used Meg's ultimate compound + a neighbors flex machine with my own new pads. This removed 15+ yrs of scratches and made the clear coat very smooth. I was convinced to try something new, so I went with DuraGloss CCP (clear coat polish). I got lucky and found it at a single old-school auto parts store. They had the whole line. I also bought a bottle of AquaWax.

Thank you for the excellent post. I kind of forgot about the other thread where you brought the finish back to life. I always wondered what happened to quertydude, he had interesting posts that I learned a lot from. I had to look up which product CCP is since I didn't recall that one off hand. It is also called DG #111. Another plus is that it doesn't "powder" off when being removed. I've tried their #101 before which is a sealant and has some polishing agents in it, so an actual polish. They also have a swirl mark remover which is like #101 but with more polish in it along with sealant. Great at removing spider-webbing but won't remove deeper scratches.

Aquawax can also be used on the interior like dash and other plastics. I might also try their PBA - pre bonding agent to increase durability even more. Since one of the cars is outside all the time. It's kind of fun trying their different products out.

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
845 is awesome and I even have used it on trim before. The restoration shop I worked at we used it to seal cast aluminum and various parts before installation. Really good stuff and always have a bottle at my shop.

Interesting. On cast aluminum...since there is no painted surface...wondering what any wax sealant product would adhere to...and how long it might actually last. Most such products are chemically designed with polymers to adhere to paint in contrast to raw metal (which it nonporous).

It's called insulator wax for a reason, developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosion. It adheres to almost anything I have put it on, and applies like no other product I have tested. Works great.

It's called insulator wax for a reason, developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosion. It adheres to almost anything I have put it on, and applies like no other product I have tested. Works great.

Interesting...then obviously the chemistry in it is significantly different that Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid, which is designed specifically for vehicle exterior finishes through polymer bonding.

Yeah, DG CCP = #111. I got confused once and referred to it as "109" which is a BG product, not a DG product...

I used it as it's the only one in their line with no grit/polish/abrasive even though it's labeled as a 'polish'. Royally confusing for a new user.....

I'm currently recharging the water softener before I wash.

Originally Posted by Warstud
No thanks....I'll stick with NuFinish since it's cheaper and lasts longer.

Wise man.

slomo

Wise man.

slomo
Originally Posted by cheesepuffs

If you've found a product that you like then that's wonderful, but NuFinish is a very outdated product as this point, and the modern synthetic waxes (sealants) are top notch in terms of gloss and durability while also being easier to remove than ever before.

Says who?

slomo

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Loving the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid results on the 2018 Pearl White Hyundai SUV...the daughter's Black 2017 Hyundai SUV with Meguiar's looks pretty nice too.

Smooth, clean, and shiny...just the way we like them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Can we see this Meguiars Ultimate Wonder Wax on a 1965 Ford LTD red hood please? Been out in the junkyard for decades rotting away. Not some 2019 what ever just pushed off the showroom floor. "Man this wax is GREAT on my 2018 Olds-mo-Chrysler". Really??? Lemon Pledge would look great on a 2018 tractor too.

slomo

Originally Posted by slomo
[
Can we see this Meguiars Ultimate Wonder Wax on a 1965 Ford LTD red hood please? Been out in the junkyard for decades rotting away. Not some 2019 what ever just pushed off the showroom floor. "Man this wax is GREAT on my 2018 Olds-mo-Chrysler". Really??? Lemon Pledge would look great on a 2018 tractor too.

slomo

That has to be one of the most ---- posts regarding waxes/sealants ever seen. It makes no sense, has no purpose, and fails to make any resemblance of logic or reason.

For those of us that actually understand and practice exterior car care...we know how to take care of vehicles. Our 18-year-old 4 door sedan exterior looked very similar to our new SUV...because we took great care of it...and we didn't use a "fake wax" product like the one you seem to condone. We got top dollar selling it because it looked nearly new after all those years.

People either take care of their vehicles or they don't. No wax/sealant will resurrect an exterior finish from the depths of a destroyed old car surface that hasn't been properly kept up (including using the orange bottle goop). DUH.

I've tried it. It's fine. The appearance is not quite as good as the Collinite, nor the Duragloss. Not quite as long lasting, but durable enough.

A lot to be said for something you can get at K-Mart any day of the week.

Can't help but notice that most reviews on waxes/ sealants are based on cars stored indoors vs. out. When it come to a climate like Florida besides the constant heat there is a LUV bug issue and there are limited products for outdoor protection. Although Meguiars Ultimate Wax may work well in other area it does NOT here. I used it for many years and never had it last more the 2-3 months outdoors even with prepping the paint. It did NOTHING to protect against the LUV bugs which eat
through the wax coating, then the paint. Once a friend told me about FK1000 it was like night and day. Finish lasted closer to 6 months outdoors in Florida and the LUV bug residue was minimal and easy to clean off. Well worth the money in my opinion! If you car is stored indoors anything carnuba wax is great.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer

Oh really....brands like Mothers, Chemical Guys, and other higher quality products are sold at Walmart. So much for that misjudgment.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by 007
Can't help but notice that most reviews on waxes/ sealants are based on cars stored indoors vs. out. When it come to a climate like Florida besides the constant heat there is a LUV bug issue and there are limited products for outdoor protection. Although Meguiars Ultimate Wax may work well in other area it does NOT here. I used it for many years and never had it last more the 2-3 months outdoors even with prepping the paint. It did NOTHING to protect against the LUV bugs which eat
through the wax coating, then the paint. Once a friend told me about FK1000 it was like night and day. Finish lasted closer to 6 months outdoors in Florida and the LUV bug residue was minimal and easy to clean off. Well worth the money in my opinion! If you car is stored indoors anything carnuba wax is great.

That certainly makes some sense. After all...Florida's state bird is the mosquito.
lol.gif

Car exterior protection is best accomplished with a sealant product in contrast to a wax...the protection is better and lasts longer.

Meguiars Ultimate Wax (actually a sealant) does provide UV protection, but it's fair to say any product used on a vehicle stored outdoors will be severely pushed to its limits. Sitting outside most of the time in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, California, or Florida renders most car care products to a short-term protection live-cycle. Even some quality carnauba waxes break down when exposed daily to hot sun. It's a sad price to pay for living in hot places.

UV protection is an obvious must, and requires a more-frequent application of protection on a vehicle's exterior than in a more "normal" climate. Even so, very few products can sustain protection in 100+ degree weather over months.

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted by jimbrewer

Oh really....brands like Mothers, Chemical Guys, and other higher quality products are sold at Walmart. So much for that misjudgment.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by 007

That certainly makes some sense. After all...Florida's state bird is the mosquito.
lol.gif

Car exterior protection is best accomplished with a sealant product in contrast to a wax...the protection is better and lasts longer.

Meguiars Ultimate Wax (actually a sealant) does provide UV protection, but it's fair to say any product used on a vehicle stored outdoors will be severely pushed to its limits. Sitting outside most of the time in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, California, or Florida renders most car care products to a short-term protection live-cycle. Even some quality carnauba waxes break down when exposed daily to hot sun. It's a sad price to pay for living in hot places.

UV protection is an obvious must, and requires a more-frequent application of protection on a vehicle's exterior than in a more "normal" climate. Even so, very few products can sustain protection in 100+ degree weather over months.

Meguiars Ultimate Wax has "mostly" the same basic ingredients as the world standard Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Say something about the legendary Turtle Wax. Course Meguiars charges more than 7 times the price to market it. See most people think the more it costs, must be better. For $3.87, I would love to see anyone find a better wax than Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Can we all name the wax "nearly" every new wonder wax of the week is compared to? Look on utube, tons of these videos. The Turtle Wax ICE line has triple the main ingredients compared to Super Hard Shell. All are silicone waxes which are anti-water slash anti-moisture.

slomo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back