Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
Waiting with baited breath...

“Bated breath” actually.

Watching you people argue over wax is entertaining. Makes me want to go get the can of Turtle Wax I have.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

“Bated breath” actually.

Watching you people argue over wax is entertaining. Makes me want to go get the can of Turtle Wax I have.

Glad to entertain you! Hopefully you learn something too....it really is a waste of time LOL. I'm sure we all agree with more then we disagree and there is no doubt we all love cars!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi

I will sum up my reply to you in one question; there are products that do everything better than NF, so why even bother with it at all?

Tell me, better in what way? Its automotive paint, and most today are clear coated with a urethane based clear.
It is not porous in fact it primary job is to protect the delicate color coat under it. Wax, sealants, polishes, whatever you want to call them cannot permeate the surface, it cannot be fed, massaged or whatever hype words they choose to use is blatantly false.

Everything from a pure wax to silicone based and polymer based all have one thing in common, they sit on top the paint.
Some fill the naturally occurring valleys that occur when paint dries or cures from shrinking. Silicons can be a bit of a bugger because they cling tenaciously in the valleys and require a strong solvent before repaint but it does get removed.

I have never found a product of any type that protects the color pigments from UV regardless if base/clear, enamel or lacquer so in that regard all are pretty much equally useless, other than that they protect from airborne pollutants prevent particles from damaging the surface with micro scratches and may be shine a bit better but it will never shine better than new paint.

Turtle way, Simoniz, Colonite, NF, this one and that one all do about the same job some just last longer than others.
The main difference being ease of application and rem0oval and if it contains any solvents or abrasives.
I wax my summer vehicles sometimes but DD never anymore, I don't love cars I don't even like most of them and honestly have no interest whatsoever in detailing them unless its going on the block, clean yes but that's it, DD is not getting waxed, the closest thing its getting to anything is the cheap car wash wax for a buck more..

I did use NF many many years ago regularly and was always satisfied with it on DD. As I remember it NF would do a great job on slightly oxidized lacquer, the abrasives were very fine and had good solvent action on tar.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: grampi

I will sum up my reply to you in one question; there are products that do everything better than NF, so why even bother with it at all?

Tell me, better in what way? Its automotive paint, and most today are clear coated with a urethane based clear.
It is not porous in fact it primary job is to protect the delicate color coat under it. Wax, sealants, polishes, whatever you want to call them cannot permeate the surface, it cannot be fed, massaged or whatever hype words they choose to use is blatantly false.

Everything from a pure wax to silicone based and polymer based all have one thing in common, they sit on top the paint.
Some fill the naturally occurring valleys that occur when paint dries or cures from shrinking. Silicons can be a bit of a bugger because they cling tenaciously in the valleys and require a strong solvent before repaint but it does get removed.

I have never found a product of any type that protects the color pigments from UV regardless if base/clear, enamel or lacquer so in that regard all are pretty much equally useless, other than that they protect from airborne pollutants prevent particles from damaging the surface with micro scratches and may be shine a bit better but it will never shine better than new paint.

Turtle way, Simoniz, Colonite, NF, this one and that one all do about the same job some just last longer than others.
The main difference being ease of application and rem0oval and if it contains any solvents or abrasives.
I wax my summer vehicles sometimes but DD never anymore, I don't love cars I don't even like most of them and honestly have no interest whatsoever in detailing them unless its going on the block, clean yes but that's it, DD is not getting waxed, the closest thing its getting to anything is the cheap car wash wax for a buck more..

I did use NF many many years ago regularly and was always satisfied with it on DD. As I remember it NF would do a great job on slightly oxidized lacquer, the abrasives were very fine and had good solvent action on tar.

In every way...looks better, lasts longer, is easier to use...

lol.gif
Sounds like you just read that of a bottle of whatever over priced product the advertisers used to convince you to part with your money.
Detailing car paint is nothing more than inflicting more damage of various degrees to the paint in order to correct damage done by car wash brushes, poor washing habit, sand and gravel damage, airborne pollutants, etc.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with NF, it bonds to the paint well, resist pollutants and fills micro scratches good enough to look decent (not as well as some paste waxes) but no liquid does any better and it does last.
If a big name company put this formula in a bottle half the size with fancy name and charged 3x the price many people would be singing its praises and opening their wallets.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I wouldn't use on new paint as it is slightly abrasive and you do have to be careful around black trim but that being said for a daily driver that lives outside NF is great stuff. It does survive the harsh NE winters and pretty well too.
Sometimes the cheapest product work better than over priced target market products. JMO

Trav,
NF is not abrasive any longer and hasent been for a long time(liquid version). This 1997 Sierra has had a coat twice a year for 20 years and the paint is close to mint. It wont harm new paint(liquid version).
azFFe40.jpg

9EW6si0.jpg

I would say it does a great job, the pictures say it all.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

“Bated breath” actually.

Chose that spelling intentionally...

That SUV photo shows what appears to be a nice-looking vehicle.

However even many amateur detailers know that a photo usually doesn't tell the full story - it doesn't show the surface texture, swirl marks, pits, penetrations into the protective coating(s), or pollutant roughness you can only vet by touching the exterior surface or up-close observation or both. All those things can harm the finish if untreated. In the U.S. southern states each year...when the pollen falls in Spring and melts from the warmth of the sun..it can actually eat away at the clear-coat if left for any length of time. Real surface protection is more important than appearance, but shininess gets most of the attention, especially with inferior products like NF. The latest polymers bond deeper into an exterior's finish. Merguiar's Ultimate Liquid has those polymers, NF doesn't. Chemistry matters on this topic.

There's a reason why pro detailers have a job. They deal with performing 5 and 6-step paint restoration through a series of steps that the vast majority of car owners never perform. Only a few of us amateurs take the time and use the all the products needed and perform the steps required to deal with thoroughly washing, clay-barring, polishing, glazing, sealing, and waxing/enhancing the exterior surfaces.

Many people don't realize that NuFinish is not even a wax or a polish - a pro detailer has posted a good deal of information on this topic:

NuFInish Car Polish is Not Really a Car Polish

Sure...seeing shiny and/or water beading is very nice...but only a fraction of the paint protection reality picture (pun intended).

Ok, so to sum it up, some folks like one brand while some like another. That's why these brands are all available at your local store or internet retail site of your choice.

However even many amateur detailers know that a photo usually doesn't tell the full story - it doesn't show the surface texture, swirl marks, pits, penetrations into the protective coating(s), or pollutant roughness you can only vet by touching the exterior surface or up-close observation or both. All those things can harm the finish if untreated. In the U.S. southern states each year...when the pollen falls in Spring and melts from the warmth of the sun..it can actually eat away at the clear-coat if left for any length of time. Real surface protection is more important than appearance, but shininess gets most of the attention, especially with inferior products like NF. The latest polymers bond deeper into an exterior's finish. Merguiar's Ultimate Liquid has those polymers, NF doesn't. Chemistry matters on this topic.

There's a reason why pro detailers have a job. They deal with performing 5 and 6-step paint restoration through a series of steps that the vast majority of car owners never perform. Only a few of us amateurs take the time and use the all the products needed and perform the steps required to deal with thoroughly washing, clay-barring, polishing, glazing, sealing, and waxing/enhancing the exterior surfaces.

Many people don't realize that NuFinish is not even a wax or a polish - a pro detailer has posted a good deal of information on this topic:

Sure...seeing shiny and/or water beading is very nice...but only a fraction of the paint protection reality picture (pun intended).

Don't talk to me about pro detailers, I have some of these hacks ruin more jobs than I remember. There are some that are very good like any other profession but most are self taught and learn ojt.
Other than washing and waxing with a non abrasive wax anything you do to the paint is inflicting various degrees of damage, its that simple.

Look, it doesn't matter if NF is a polish, a wax or owl pee it works and it works well, it last a long time and is reasonably priced.
You are wrong, no product can bond deeper than the surface of paint without the aid of strong solvents that soften the surface, that's a fact. If any product is doing that I don't want any part of it. I do use blending solvent to blend paint but thats a controlled process and not to be played with by detailers or DIY.

There is no point to this thread anymore, fan boys will to pay more money for product what have the most advertising and will swear by them no matter if something better for less than half the price is looking right at them.
Me I like good value and good performance from what I buy.

“....However even many amateur detailers know that a photo usually doesn't tell the full story - it doesn't show the surface texture, swirl marks, pits, penetrations into the protective coating(s), or pollutant roughness....”

Well that throws all pictures posted here out, unless you offer closeups with black light.

I don't know why this became another thread about NF.

Meg's Ultimate is easy to use and gives paint a nice warm shine - as simple as that. The only thing OTC that compares is Griot's Poly Wax, and it's twice the price.

NF dusts and stains trim - I'm not going to make more work for myself to save $7.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The Goldman family owns Nufinish and Carol's Cookies:

http://www.bizneworleans.com/August-2015...ned-Businesses/

But recently (7 hours ago) sold Nufinish to the Energizer battery company:

http://www.missouribusinessalert.com/ind...aker-nu-finish/

I'm sure we'll soon see commercials claiming their batteries have a shine that keeps going...and going...and going...
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
“....However even many amateur detailers know that a photo usually doesn't tell the full story - it doesn't show the surface texture, swirl marks, pits, penetrations into the protective coating(s), or pollutant roughness....”

Well that throws all pictures posted here out, unless you offer closeups with black light.

OK.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Meg's Ultimate is easy to use and gives paint a nice warm shine - as simple as that. The only thing OTC that compares is Griot's Poly Wax, and it's twice the price.

NF dusts and stains trim - I'm not going to make more work for myself to save $7.

There will always be some Kool-Aid drinkers for NF who embrace the foolishness about that product.

In all honesty...their opinions are perfectly fine (hearing once) and no more or less than any others who don't drink that Kool-Aid.

But the repeated false NF propaganda, unproven claims, and misleading information - all while repeatedly and deliberately omitting facts about the multiple problems with that product - do a gross dis-service to folks who don't know much on the topic, and are sincerely seeking looking to understand more about various products.

Hearing deceptive "pros" and omitting or covering up the "cons" for any product helps no one, and raises the question about any motivation for doing it.

I posted the cons about it so don't make false statements. Lets be honest the vast majority of people couldn't give a rats rear about detailing, they want a quick job from a bottle for their daily driven vehicles that's all and that is good enough for them.
They are not using DA buffers or anything else other than maybe a microfiber with edges they got for 6 bucks a pack at Walmart.

For them NF is perfectly fine. I am more than capable of color sanding a newly painted car, using a rotary and use the best product and very few are from Meguiar's, its mostly 3M. So go ahead and have the last word, I have better things to do.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

That's probably all true but fan boys cant let it go at that.

I posted the cons about it so don't make false statements.

Yup...but several other posters did not. There's been so much noise pollution about NuFinish on this website...it'll make most regular people want to remove orange from the spectrum.

Happy detailing!

lol.gif
Sounds like you just read that of a bottle of whatever over priced product the advertisers used to convince you to part with your money.
Detailing car paint is nothing more than inflicting more damage of various degrees to the paint in order to correct damage done by car wash brushes, poor washing habit, sand and gravel damage, airborne pollutants, etc.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with NF, it bonds to the paint well, resist pollutants and fills micro scratches good enough to look decent (not as well as some paste waxes) but no liquid does any better and it does last.
If a big name company put this formula in a bottle half the size with fancy name and charged 3x the price many people would be singing its praises and opening their wallets.

Think what you want. I've used and compared NF to other products and found it to be inferior...

Don't talk to me about pro detailers, I have some of these hacks ruin more jobs than I remember. There are some that are very good like any other profession but most are self taught and learn ojt.
Other than washing and waxing with a non abrasive wax anything you do to the paint is inflicting various degrees of damage, its that simple.

Look, it doesn't matter if NF is a polish, a wax or owl pee it works and it works well, it last a long time and is reasonably priced.
You are wrong, no product can bond deeper than the surface of paint without the aid of strong solvents that soften the surface, that's a fact. If any product is doing that I don't want any part of it. I do use blending solvent to blend paint but thats a controlled process and not to be played with by detailers or DIY.

There is no point to this thread anymore, fan boys will to pay more money for product what have the most advertising and will swear by them no matter if something better for less than half the price is looking right at them.
Me I like good value and good performance from what I buy.

That's funny. All of the products I use do absolutely NO advertising...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back