Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
... Lets be honest the vast majority of people couldn't give a rats rear about detailing, they want a quick job from a bottle for their daily driven vehicles that's all and that is good enough for them.
They are not using DA buffers or anything else other than maybe a microfiber with edges they got for 6 bucks a pack at Walmart.

I am very happy with Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. I use the liquid form. I agree with Trav with the quote above. I want a simple wax job in a bottle, from a wax I can grab at Walmart or Target. Meg's Ultimate Wax is easy to use, provides a great shine, and I feel good that I am at least putting some kind of protection on my vehicles three times a year.

So, whatever you choose to put on your vehicle, at least you are putting something on it a few times a year. There are many people that never even wax at all. That is the only problem right there, the non-waxers. It doesn't matter what brand one uses, as long as they are using something (Meg's, Turtle, NF, Griot's, etc.). Just my humble opinion.

Another option for around $8 that is readily available is Mother's SynWax. Doesn't stain trim or powder off. Prob not as durable as NF though. A detailer said it's the only Mother's product he uses.

Just gonna say this once... Can we PLEASE not make this another flame thread about Nu Finish? That thread became unreadable and was closed. Must we drive this one down that road as well?

*Amen...
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I don't know why this became another thread about NF.

Meg's Ultimate is easy to use and gives paint a nice warm shine - as simple as that. The only thing OTC that compares is Griot's Poly Wax, and it's twice the price.

NF dusts and stains trim - I'm not going to make more work for myself to save $7.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Some people like Pepsi and some people like Coke.

I started to mention this but thought it would start a cola war in addition to the wax battle.

I find Collinite 845 to look similar with much better beading and durability.

*Safe for trim ?
Originally Posted By: GMZ

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
*Safe for trim ?

They say that about Turtle Wax ICE as well … sorry if that’s a repeat … not going to read all of this …

Last edited:
*Safe for trim ?

You can actually use it on trim...makes it look like new again!

Originally Posted By: 4WD
They say that about Turtle Wax ICE as well … sorry if that’s a repeat … not going to read all of this …

Turtle Wax Ice is/was great! I remember it being one of the first synthetic sealants available back in 2011ish - the best was the Liquid. Very similar to a modern coating with how it was applied.

This was back in my Army days. Myself and a good friend bought the full Ice line and did both of our MINIs in a weekend and were facinated by a wax that looked like water but was slick as sin and made the paint pop!

*Safe for trim ?

Safe for trim, mine looks great.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Turtle Wax Ice is/was great! I remember it being one of the first synthetic sealants available back in 2011ish - the best was the Liquid. Very similar to a modern coating with how it was applied.

This was back in my Army days. Myself and a good friend bought the full Ice line and did both of our MINIs in a weekend and were facinated by a wax that looked like water but was slick as sin and made the paint pop!

Ice is one I've never tried. How is it for durability?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Ice is one I've never tried. How is it for durability?

Honestly not sure.

The longest any of my cars have ever gone between waxing is 3 months. Before I had my kids I would wash and wax weekly!

This is ULW (left) vs 845 (right) after 7 days of rain. Hood was clayed prior to application. After seeing these results I tossed the remaining ULW and went with 845. Water beading and hydrophobicity may not be important to some but in areas like the PNW that have constant rain it helps immensely with reduction in water spots.

845 is like $16 on Amazon and a bottle will last 30+ applications. You don't even need to leave your house and endure WM.

This is ULW (left) vs 845 (right) after 7 days of rain. Hood was clayed prior to application. After seeing these results I tossed the remaining ULW and went with 845. Water beading and hydrophobicity may not be important to some but in areas like the PNW that have constant rain it helps immensely with reduction in water spots.

The ULW side actually looks much better than the 845 for beading...it appears to demonstrate large aggregated beads and better water run-off instead of smaller beads just sitting on the surface...me thinks you got the results backwards...

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001

The ULW side actually looks much better than the 845 for beading...it appears to demonstrate large aggregated beads and better water run-off instead of smaller beads just sitting on the surface...me thinks you got the results backwards...

Wrong.

Aggregated beads and water run off? Are you looking at the same picture? There is no run off at all as the car was sitting (excepting a small area in front at the confluence of the two products that was dripped on by the house). Smaller beads = higher surface tension = "slicker".

Plenty of beading tests on YouTube that attest to Colinite's performance in this regard.

Beads on the ULW side are very loose.

Clearly worse.

Wrong.

The object is to get water to leave the surface...not collect in little beads and sit there. The right side is hardly coagulating.
Wrong.

Aggregated beads and water run off? Are you looking at the same picture? There is no run off at all as the car was sitting (excepting a small area in front at the confluence of the two products that was dripped on by the house). Smaller beads = higher surface tension = "slicker".

Plenty of beading tests on YouTube that attest to Colinite's performance in this regard.

Wrong - back at ya.

Having tons of small beads of water that go nowhere...water just sitting there...defeats the whole purpose, which is to have water leave the surface as easily and quickly as possible...so it doesn't leave any deposits behind.....which is what is happening on the left side of that picture, not the right.

I've seen cheap-product waxed cars look like the 845 right side. Quite underwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back