Hard starting when hot

He could be dealing with a flakey fuel pump though. Just like a starter, they sometimes don't work properly when hot. Although you'd think the fuel pump would cool down fairly quickly since it's submerged in fuel.

Just food for thought might be worth checking fuel pressure when cold and when you're experiencing the extended crank.
Anything is possible. My experience has just been that fuel pumps usually either leak back overnight, or they completely die when hot while driving and possibly start working again after cooling off. Or due to lack of pressure they can starve the engine and cause surging at higher RPM.

Use a scanner to view live data and let us know if the engine coolant temperature is giving good data or not.
This would have been the first thing I would have done instead of throwing parts at it.
I posted some live data pics earlier in this thread. If I missed a particular stat that's helpful let me know. The temp sensor was reporting change all the way up to 203 when the fans clicked on. Then it went down into the 180s again. Is that completely accurate I don't know.

I started with the camshaft and crank sensors because it's a known Nissan problem. The same symptoms. When the sensors heat up they lose signal. When that happens it's hard to start or stalling. And sure enough somebody had been there before me. See pic below. When I saw this I thought for sure I had it. This is the second time I've seen this on two different Nissans. People don't know how to remove this type of connector and they break it. Once you break it you have to replace it. I don't know what they did here. Literally fell off when I put my hand on the sensor which is really bad. I soldered in a new connector. New crankshaft sensor. Nope wasn't that. But I needed to do that I would have been left hanging sooner or later with that connector barely attached.

I'm looking for a place to attach a fuel pressure gauge. I don't see anything obvious near the engine. Want to watch it see if it leaks down. If there's something else I should be doing let me know

20201018_112757.jpg

The eBay "DWVO" Chinese fuel pump was delivered today. 900 sold no bad reviews I figured why not try this one see what happens. Nissan made it easy to replace with the trap door. Hopefully this was the problem

Unplug the MAF and see what happens, it is possible this engine has the IAT sensor incorporated into the MAF. Is the Evap leak fixed? Whenever you have issues start with known issues (dont fix the burned out radio bulb to if its not starting) that may be related first.

Back