Happy Fathers Day - Keep moving forward!

StevieC - Thanks so much for this post.

You credit your father, but the strength is yours.

While I’m so very sorry to hear of your loss, and his passing, as well as your accident, your determination is inspiring and a credit to his legacy.

Keep up the good fight.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words.

I'm walking 100ft with a walker and leg splints. Its slow and calculated but its pretty amazing considering 6 weeks ago I was barely able to stand unassisted.

It really is a testament to the Physio team here at the Rehab section of my Hospital and my determination and perseverance.

I'll be wrenching before I know it! 😄

#Never_Give_Up

Life is fragile. You never know what is next. You have the right attitude. My stepfather was discharged from the Marines after being diagnosed with a degenerative disease that eventually required him to wear braces to walk. He was told he would be in a wheelchair. He was riding his horse and going on long bicycle rides into his 60's. He taught me a lot about determination and attitude. Always good to hear from you. Sending healing frequencies your way. Take care!

Hey everyone, as I've had a few of you reach out to me recently, I thought I'd post an update...

I'm still in outpatient Physio/Rehab and they've got me upright and walking with bilateral leg splints and 2 Quad Canes.

I can manage about 25m (83ft) in a single go on level flat ground, before the fatigue sets in and I need to sit down.

For inclines/declines or other situations I can use a rollator-walker or my wheelchair.

I thinks that's pretty amazing considering I'm a paraplegic that walking of any sort is possible.

I can also stand on the spot and play catch with a beach ball with my Physio Therapist as well.

Today we went in the pool and I was able to walk with my splints but without holding on to anything like a cane or grab bars so this proves that I should be able to walk with just my splints and no canes once I build enough balance and strength in my legs.

Anyhow, I'll keep trucking along and see what I can achieve.

Hope you are all doing well...

Steve

A pic of me walking upright with 2 quad canes and my leg splints. Amazing what is possible for paraplegic's today!

Screenshot_20220930-153841.jpg

StevieC, I wish you the fastest and most complete recovery possible. Your positive attitude is inspiring.

Frank
Thanks Frank.

I won't lie, the first few weeks was the hardest and tears were shed and I felt like I was going to be in a chair forever but my PT's kept on me with positive encouragement and inspiring stories and that kept me going.

Once I saw the improvements after that, I was really motivated me to want more and I'm glad I did.

I'm hoping to not need the quad canes at all eventually, because in the therapy pool I can walk without holding onto anything so I should be able to do the same outside the pool with more strength and balance exercises.

I'm taking bets at the moment. 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks Frank.

I won't lie, the first few weeks was the hardest and tears were shed and I felt like I was going to be in a chair forever but my PT's kept on me with positive encouragement and inspiring stories and that kept me going.

Once I saw the improvements after that, I was really motivated me to want more and I'm glad I did.

I'm hoping to not need the quad canes at all eventually, because in the therapy pool I can walk without holding onto anything so I should be able to do the same outside the pool with more strength and balance exercises.

StevieC: I’m praying for you daily. You have a hell of a determination and great man. I admire your spirit. One day at a time is what I say. 😍😍🇺🇸🇨🇦

Thanks Frank.

I worked part-time through college, caring for quadriplegic men. Became good friends with several of the fellows.

One of them, Paul, was a big jolly French-Canadian, who considered his injury to be an impediment rather than a disability.

He continued to drive out to the farm to help his parents. Couldn't lift himself into a conventional pickup, so drove a late-'70s El Camino with hand controls. Amazing fellow, one of my favourites. (Mandatory BITOG content - changed the plugs in the 305 for him, and was amazed how good they were for the mileage, what with me never having owned a newer car with electronic ignition and that ran on unleaded.)

I asked him whether he'd been depressed after his injury. He replied that, like everyone else, he had been very down for about a year, and then decided he had to get on with his life, and did. School, girlfriends, jobs, farming ... he lived life to the fullest.

So, StevieC, then there's you - you bounced back emotionally quickly, are making excellent progress, and seem more concerned about the loss of your father than about your own health.

All I can say is, your attitude is inspiring, and I wish you continued progress!

Hi Everyone:

I'm doing ok. I'm getting around pretty good with my 2 canes now. Distance is an issue for me as the muscles in my legs and hips that still work have to pick up the slack for the ones not working so I get fatigued after 200-300ft. My legs are getting pretty skinny with the calve muscle loss. I look like a bird Hahahahah! I've lost 3" in Circumference already. "Use it or lose it" I guess!

There are still some things I can't do like bend down and pick-up something using my canes. I can do it holding onto a counter-top or something but this is just a function of my weak hips and legs.

I am dealing with boatloads of nerve pain. I'm on all the usual medications for it at their maximum dosages but have only seen a 20% reduction in pain. I have Nerve pain 24/7 but it is manageable most of the time. When I have severe pain attacks they can last for hours and typically happen at night so my sleep schedule is affected.

I'm working closely with my team of doctors, PT, chiropractor (for acupuncture and TENS) to do what we can. I'm hoping once I'm out of the initial 2 year period it settles down. I'm 1 year into this mess as of a couple days ago. So I'm 1/2 way there...

And YES I have changed my own oil again! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be because I have a Fumoto on the pan and because my filter is at the top in the Caravan, so if I lean just right my body is supported for balance and I can use both hands under the hood!

I'm a Para-Wrench-Head now I guess.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I no longer need the catheter, that function was regained and with a little practice there is 0 issues. I do have to watch how full I get though because for me 1/2 full and ready to wet myself feels the same to me due to diminished feeling. So when I feel the "I better find a bathroom in the next little while" I just gotta go because if I try to hold it I might overflow.

It's not the end of the world except overnight because I won't wake up in time so I have had to make sure I'm leading on the dehydrated end of things to be sure I don't fill up enough over night to wet the bed. I just keep a glass of water on the night stand for cotton-mouth and to drink first thing when I wake up. It's a work around. I also keep a bottle by the side of the bed in case of emergency. It seems if I do wake up when I stand up I might just let go, so I can use this bottle in the morning to empty so there are no accidents when I try to move from my bed to my Wheelchair.

Got my chair finally... Got it in Blue. Has an $800 Air pocket seat on it to take pressure off my spine. It's REALLY comfortable and takes almost 0 effort to move my Chunky self around. I've learned to hop curbs with it and go down steps backwards as well. (Pretty insane but A TON OF FUN) I get all the best seats and parking spots I mean it's pretty awesome. And.... I STILL RUN BETTER THAN THE GOVERNMENT!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Chair.jpeg
    Chair.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back