Happy 90th birthday, William Shatner!

Great actor. May he not get beamed up for a long time. No me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!
1616448734791.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty amazing. He looks 15 years younger than his actual age. Most chubby people don't get to be anywhere near 90. I heard he stills goes horseback riding and skiing.

Last edited:
How cool, I've liked just about everything he's done. Wife and I saw him at the Kravis Center a couple of years ago, he was fantastic. I'm glad to see him doing so well. Wonder what his secret to long life is?

Long time tinnitus sufferer, he wears hearing aids to counter-act the ringing.

Happy B-Day and many more!
The story I've read is that he developed the tinnitus problem when filming the episode with the Gorn, "Arena." The explosive effects we see in the first act damaged his hearing. (The late Robert Vaughn had the same problem with the noise from the prop guns on Man From U.N.C.L.E.)

People make fun of Bill's acting style now. And I'll be the first to admit he's let himself off the leash more often in recent years, or directors have not reined him in. But look at his powerful performances in the early Trek days and before, in Twilight Zone and other things. He began as a stage actor, a Shakespearean performer, and according to legend received a standing ovation while playing Richard II while still in his 20s. Stage acting is necessarily "bigger" than movie or TV acting, and WS sometimes doesn't adjust his style quite enough. But he was always vivid -- I caught him in a guest star role in a 1963 77 Sunset Strip, and you can't take your eyes off him. HIs performances in the early Trek episodes "Corbomite Maneuver" and "Balance of Terror" are textbook TV acting.

Plus he seems to have a sense of humor about himself.

Back