Hankook Optimo H727 tires installed - wtih PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
County of Los Angeles has 8.75% sale tax, down south at Orange County 7.75%.

The H727 on the '91 Tracer has tread depth of only 7/32" after 10k miles with 5k miles rotations. May be because that car is driven mostly on city streets with a lots of stop and go, acceleration on green light and braking on red light take a toll on the tires. I just keep rotating every 5-6k miles and if it wear down to 2/32" at less than 30k miles of service then I will get back a good percentage of pro-rate $. I think the tire is warrantied for 100k miles.
If you read carefully their warranty: they want rotate, balance every 5000-10000 miles or something like that and alignment every 15k. Are you willing to pay for alignment every year just to get $100 credit? Maybe If you got firestone lifetime alignment package...

I bought the tires from DT/AT with lifetime balance/rotation. The tires have only 10k miles and was rotate/balance twice. I don't know if they require alignment, if all 4 tires wear evenly all around why I need to do alignment ?

When the tires wear down to 2/32" I will find out from DT/AT if 100k miles tread life warranty really worth anything.

I paid about $200 out the door for 4 installed H727 185/65-14, after DT/AT and Hankook rebates. If no prorate is allowed because of no alignment every 15k miles, then it's okay with me. I'm not going to do alignment every year and a half just to get the prorate warranty.

as long as they wear even you dont have to do anything with alignment.

of course I had cars.. with winter and summer sets..

and the winters wore fine.. but the summers wore wacky.. thats a tire issue not alignment.

I had two Hydroedge tires replaced with 727's. The 727's (which are rated higher than the 725's) are quiter and smoother than the Hydroedge. But the Hydroedge will last longer (80,000+ miles actually), and have a sharper handling characteristic (reduced slip angle over the 727's). For the price the 727's can't be beat. However, one of my 727's is being replaced today because of a small hole in the sidewall likely caused by a curb encounter. Is this a weakness with this tire??

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
County of Los Angeles has 8.75% sale tax, down south at Orange County 7.75%.

The H727 on the '91 Tracer has tread depth of only 7/32" after 10k miles with 5k miles rotations. May be because that car is driven mostly on city streets with a lots of stop and go, acceleration on green light and braking on red light take a toll on the tires. I just keep rotating every 5-6k miles and if it wear down to 2/32" at less than 30k miles of service then I will get back a good percentage of pro-rate $. I think the tire is warrantied for 100k miles.
If you read carefully their warranty: they want rotate, balance every 5000-10000 miles or something like that and alignment every 15k. Are you willing to pay for alignment every year just to get $100 credit? Maybe If you got firestone lifetime alignment package...

According to Hankook warranty requirements, no alignment every 15-20k miles is required:

"In order to be eligible for HANKOOK's limited warranty program, the owner must observe the following:

Present the tire to an authorized Hankook dealer in the Continental United States of America.
Submit or present a copy of the original purchase receipt.
Complete and sign a Hankook Claim Form which is available at any authorized dealer.
End users should complete the warranty card which is available at authorized Hankook dealers for tread wear mileage warranty and mail it to Hankook Tire America Corp. (1450 Valley Road; Wayne, NJ 07470; Attn: Technical Department) within 30 days from the date of purchase.
In order to take advantage of mileage warranty, you must submit a tire rotation record which proves that all tires are rotated at least every 7,500 miles.
If the tire owner abuses the tires by failing to observe safety warning and to maintain proper inflation pressure, vehicle alignment and tire rotation, expected tire performance and life may not be achieved and your safety can not be ensured
."

Well, I'll offer an update.

These tires have been installed about 14k miles. They're still performing very well. They're still quiet and overall I'm happy with these.

Last edited:
Thank you for the update!
My daughters '06 Mazda3 has the H727's w/18k miles and they seem just as good today as when new. I think that the tread depth in verious spots around the tire(s) ranges between 7-9/32nd. We'll rotate prior to winter and if nessessary after the rotation, I have'em rebalanced. Othewise, I'll leave'em alone!

Mazda OE PSI on the place card requires 32lb/32lb but we like(F:32lb/R:30lb)

They are wearing evenly with only a little mild cupping(outside shoulder) on all 4 tires(due to the allignment spec, IMHO). Still smooth/quiet w/decent handling and excellent hydroplaning resistance in the heavy down pours of rain where, the rain water can overwhelm the rain/drain sewers temporarily and, you can't see 20ft in front of you(rain blowing sideways).

In July, we drove through the PA Mountains @ ~ 75-80 mph when, during a torrential down pour(very little wind) and had to slow down to ~60 mph and the car felt very planted. The hydroplaning resistance really is very good as has been the winter snow traction thus far.

On nice warm/dry days, the tires just go about their business w/o calling any attention to themselves! No pull, No wander, No shimmying
smile.gif

Last edited:
I guess I'll offer an update. I have about 18,000 miles on these tires now.

One of the reasons I chose these tires was because they're rated pretty well in the snow for an all season tire. I had these tires installed last year right before winter, but we got basically no snow last year, so I didn't have any chance to test the snow/ice performance.

We had our first snow of this year over the last two days and the tires performed quite well. They're way better in the snow than the Firestone FR710 tires on our other two vehicles.

The Hankooks are also still performing well overall. They don't seem to be getting noisier as they age, or at least I haven't noticed it.

Overall, I'm still very happy with these.

My last post in Aug'12, I stated 18K miles and ~ 7-9/32.

Now with a rotation recently, and 23K miles(I measure no differences in tread debth), the tires still look quite new. Tires were installed in Oct 2010 and went through the Buffalo/Niagra Falls winter of '10, '11 without issue.

2012, there was very little snow. We'll see how the tires handle the winter('12-'13) as the car is now in Pa.

I had a set of those on my Sonata for about 13K before I sold the car. Good Tire, I liked it because it was quiet and handled great. Bad thing is they don't make it in the size I need for my new Elantra
frown.gif

I have these on my beater. Very quiet, grip is marginal though. They resist hydroplaning very well.

We just had a major snow storm here. I live in the greater Kansas City area. In my area, we got 9+ inches of snow with significant drifting.

Work was called off, but I was called in because another person couldn't make it in to work their shift.

The Hankooks are awesome in the snow. Consumer Reports rates them "very good" for snow traction and I totally agree. I never got stuck and only was slowed down in places where the snow was deep enough to hit the undercarriage of the car. I was blasting by people who were stuck or barely able to move.

I'm 100% satisfied with the snow traction. These tires are miles ahead of the Firestone FR710 tires that are installed on our other two cars.

It probably helped that I grew up in the Midwest where snows like this are pretty common. This much snow is quite rare in the KC area.

Here's a pic once I arrived at my office. This lot had obviously been plowed, but some of the roads we had to take weren't plowed. The going was slow in those places, but turning off the traction control and starting in 2nd gear got us through the deep spots.

H727snow_zps584f049a.jpg

I'm getting replacement of one of my h727 on MB. Balanced it like 3 times, 1 is out of round, called DTD, getting new one shipped soon without questions. Got them in Sept., mounted after Thanksgiving, drove less then 1000 miles on those. They were almoust perfect on my previous camry, but only had them for 6 months before traded it in.

Last edited:
I just cracked 30k miles on these tires.

I started getting a little noise on the highway and I noticed some uneven wear on the inside edge of the tires.

I had an alignment performed when these tires were installed, but it went out of spec quite a bit in the front, likely leading to the uneven wear on the inside edge.

That's not the fault of the tires. We'll see what happens now that the vehicle has been aligned and is back in spec.

Stephen,

Be aware that rubber isn't added to tires as they wear - rubber only wears away. Don't expect the tires to develop a new wear pattern. If that happens, thank your lucky stars. What you should expect is that the wear will continue with the pattern pretty much as you have it now.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back