Hankook Kinergy PT Review

Hi guys,

I decided to share my experience so far with my new Hankook Kinergy PT tires, in size 205/60/16 H, on my 2018 Mazda 3 GS sedan.

My dad and I always preferred Michelin and Bridgestone's tires, as well as Yokohama's. We both had Michelin Harmony, Michelin Primacy MXV4, Michelin Defender, Michelin Defender T+H, Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus, General Altimax RT43, Bridgestone Quiettrack and one set of Continental's True Contact Tour which my dad returned because two of them could not get balanced properly. So, we have good experience with quality tires for many years.

That being said, I was looking at the Defender2, Yokohama Avid Ascend LX, Continental PureContact LS, Cooper Endeavor, General Altimax RT45, Pirelli P7 All Season Plus II, and the Toyo Extensa A/S II.

I was looking for a good all around, long lasting tire, quiet and good riding tire, with some good handling around corners.

My last set of tires was the Michelin Defender T+H. They lasted around 85 000 km (close to wear bar, but I never go to that point). These Defenders were quiet on smooth surfaces, louder on rough pavement, like most tires in that category would be. My only downside to the Defenders is that they were very firm, I always ran them 2-3 PSI less than the recommended pressure in the door sticker (mine is 36 PSI, so ran them at 32-33).

As the Michelin's were pretty worn out, they were very hard and noisy, which is normal, still had good grip on dry, but it was time to change, even though I think I could've run that set for the summer.

Now, what caught my attention on these Hankook's Kinergy PT is the treadwear, rated at 860, higher than both Defender2 and Bridgestone Quiettrack. I got curious and did a bit of research for reviews. I never had Hankook tires before, it's a first for me.

Here in Canada, we have Point-S retail stores, they offered a promotion for Hankook's, free installation plus 100$ mail rebate from Hankook.

The total installed on my car tax included, with all the rebates, was 560$ CAD. Both Michelin's and Bridgestone's were over 1000$ CAD. For this price, I decided to give it a shot, Hankook gives a 30 days trial, I am not sure how true this is, but I bought them anyways.

So far, I drove around 900-1000 km's on them, they can handle 51 PSI max pressure, I can run them at 36 PSI like recommended by Mazda with no problem, they are not as hard as the Michelin's. They are very quiet, a bit more than the Defender's, but equal or comparable to the Quiettrack. They have a bit softer sidewall than both Defender's and Quiettrack.

Where this tire shines, is the grip, both dry and wet. They don't squeal, at all, even if I push them through corners hard (the temperature is not hot enough though, will see during very hot summer days). In wet, they cut through water very well, almost no hydroplaning, very minimal and the grip is very impressive for a tire at this price.

At higher speed, around 80 mph and higher, they are surprisingly stable and predictable, well planted. They don't vibrate at all and needed very little weights while balancing. I have to mention, this is not a soft tire, sidewall is softer than the other two, but it's still firm.

Overall, I am very impressed by this tire, made in U.S.A was one of the reasons I bought them, the treadwear, quietness, good riding, and the surprising grip they offer in both wet and dry. Lastly, the price. I find tires are getting so expensive, plus I only have regular size 16 tire. To me, this was a very good deal and worth trying, and to my surprise, I am not disappointed, even impressed.

If you guys have any experience to share with Hankook's, I would love to hear them!

IMG_2999.jpg
IMG_2997.jpg
IMG_2998.jpg
IMG_2996.jpg

They will likely get noisy and the edges will feather. They wont get anywhere near the mileage rating. We stopped selling hankook passenger car tires a few years ago after almost 20 years because I got tired of customers complaining
In 30 years of driving, I never had one single tire that did exactly the mileage rating announced, ever, not even close most of the time, so I am not worried about wear. At the very least, I paid almost half of the most expensive brands in the category. I am sleeping well.

They will likely get noisy and the edges will feather. They wont get anywhere near the mileage rating. We stopped selling hankook passenger car tires a few years ago after almost 20 years because I got tired of customers complaining
Yup you get what you pay for with tires....

Yup you get what you pay for with tires....

Before saying they were cheap tires, keep in mind that this set of tire was 862$ CAD tax included and installed, 140$ less than Michelin Defender2. That being said, my retailer sells it 100$ less from the website from the start, plus there was a promo for free installation for two weeks, plus the Hankook 100$ mail rebate. So, I saved 188$ on site, and 100$ coming back in the mail. 288$ is a significant saving for a tire rated 860. They were the same price as all the other competitors listed above, even more expensive then some, like the Cooper Endeavor, and the Toyo Extensa AS II. At 560 bucks for as set of tires like this, if they last me 60 000 km, I would be more than happy.

I had Michelin's that were noisy and hard to balance, that cost me over 1000$ for a set, same for the Continental True Contact Tour, two of them could not be balanced properly, again 1000$+ for the set. There is other tires at lower cost now that can be competitive with premium name brands, to my surprise.

Before saying they were cheap tires, keep in mind that this set of tire was 862$ CAD tax included and installed, 140$ less than Michelin Defender2. That being said, my retailer sells it 100$ less from the website from the start, plus there was a promo for free installation for two weeks, plus the Hankook 100$ mail rebate. So, I saved 188$ on site, and 100$ coming back in the mail. 288$ is a significant saving for a tire rated 860. They were the same price as all the other competitors listed above, even more expensive then some, like the Cooper Endeavor, and the Toyo Extensa AS II. At 560 bucks for as set of tires like this, if they last me 60 000 km, I would be more than happy.

I had Michelin's that were noisy and hard to balance, that cost me over 1000$ for a set, same for the Continental True Contact Tour, two of them could not be balanced properly, again 1000$+ for the set. There is other tires at lower cost now that can be competitive with premium name brands, to my surprise.
I have always had great results with Michelin tires....

Did you even read my post? I had many set of Michelin's, 80 to 90% of them were excellent, some were bad, all I'm saying is the hankook are impressive for what I paid...
My daughter had a set on here 2021 honda oddessey and they were not very good...hard to keep balanced and the ride was hard. Replaced them with Michelin Crossclimate 2 and problem solved..

My daughter had a set on here 2021 honda oddessey and they were not very good...hard to keep balanced and the ride was hard. Replaced them with Michelin Crossclimate 2 and problem solved..
The Crossclimate 2 will get noisy and hard as they wear out, seen many noisy ones as they get old. Its just the nature of the thread pattern. My last set of Defenders T+H had one tire that got out of balance, there is many variable's that can cause this, bad weights, inaccurate balancing machine, bad tire belt... maybe you didn't owned enough Michelin's in your life like I did to get a bad one LOL

I forgot to mention, these hankook's only needed very little weight for balancing, they are very well balanced at any speed ;)

The Crossclimate 2 will get noisy and hard as they wear out, seen many noisy ones as they get old. Its just the nature of the thread pattern. My last set of Defenders T+H had one tire that got out of balance, there is many variable's that can cause this, bad weights, inaccurate balancing machine, bad tire belt... maybe you didn't owned enough Michelin's in your life like I did to get a bad one LOL
I have since the mid 70s and never got a bad one...

Good luck with those tires. I helped a dear friend get a new 2018 CR-V EX-L; it came with Hankooks. When it was time, we replaced them with Continental PureContact or TrueContact; the difference was like night and day. That CR-V rides like a Lexus, only better. I think it was $800 all in, as I recall.

Just my experience. Again, I'm glad you like the Hankooks.

Reactions: hrv
Good luck with those tires. I helped a dear friend get a new 2018 CR-V EX-L; it came with Hankooks. When it was time, we replaced them with Continental PureContact or TrueContact; the difference was like night and day. That CR-V rides like a Lexus, only better. I think it was $800 all in, as I recall.

same with me but they were Michelins

Like a Lexus eh? I had True Contact Tour, returned them, could not get two balanced properly. Were those Hankook OEM tires? if so, they are half the life of the same tire in a retail store, same as any other brand for that matter, including Michelin and Contiental's. CRV is a noisy box, I doubt it would be Lexus-like quietness/ride, but possible... There are bad and good models in any tire brands.

I had bad experience with OEM khumo's, Firestone, Bridgestone EP422 Plus, few Goodyears, all of them got shaky and worn out extremely fast. I do like my new Hankook very much, and from the high mileage reviews, they replace the Hankook Optimo H727.

I have since the mid 70s and never got a bad one...
My dad got the very first Michelin model coming to North-America, which is the Model X radial tire, he owned Michelin's since then, he is now 80 years old. In 60++ years of driving and owning Michelin tires, he did get some bad Michelin's, some with defects, some were just bad engineering, he could drive 40 000 km per year minimum, going through many sets.

Nonetheless, he was impressed how the Hankook's handle and are quiet, good ride.

Here is a little educational ad of1967, part of history of Michelin, enjoy!

1717099130729.jpg

Back