Handheld Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking to see if anyone has first hand experience with some of the hand held scanners out there. I'm looking for one that covers Asian & Domestic models, hopefully one that covers ABS modules also.

I looked at Snap-on scanners on E-bay but the cartridges seem to stop at the early 1990's, so that will do me no good. I have no problem spending $100-$200 if it will meet all of my needs.

I have my VW/Audi & BMW bases covered, so no need to worry there.

Originally Posted By: ourfamo4
Checking to see if anyone has first hand experience with some of the hand held scanners out there. I'm looking for one that covers Asian & Domestic models, hopefully one that covers ABS modules also.

I looked at Snap-on scanners on E-bay but the cartridges seem to stop at the early 1990's, so that will do me no good. I have no problem spending $100-$200 if it will meet all of my needs.

I have my VW/Audi & BMW bases covered, so no need to worry there.

Consider one for a PC? Get one that handles CAN. Some things like ABS maybe be manufacturers specific codes.

ScanGaugeII is scan gaugish. Basic engine information, and pulls codes. Handles CAN.

A nice trip gauge, and it's in the car all the time. But not a full-fledged scan tool.

Innova 3160 does ABS/transmissions on domestics, live data, saves streams for playback, has PC connectivity and an online troubleshooter.

I just ordered one and will update once I use it for how good it is. It was $240 off of eBay new in box.

I don't think you'll find a decent scan tool for a few hundred bucks. At that price, at best you are getting a code reader.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I don't think you'll find a decent scan tool for a few hundred bucks. At that price, at best you are getting a code reader.

Nowadays, you can find a decent scan tool for a reasonable price ............. at least in my opinion.

Check this one out: Innova 3160

I have one of these and for the price, I believe it offers a lot of useful fetures other than simply reading fault codes. Again, my 2 cents!

It says that it reads ABS codes for GM, Ford and Chrysler, yet my 1996 Saturn isn't one of the vehicles on the list. HUH?

But yes, that does look like a good value for $250, but by no means is it as good as a Snap On Solus PRO or a Verus.

I've had good luck with Autotap (http://www.autotap.com/). I use it with a laptop but I think it is available for a Palm too. It is a "read only' application, you can't change anything in the computer with it like some devices.

I have used Harrison R&D OBDScan software, hardware, and a laptop for 5-6 years and am very satisfied. Perhaps not quite as handy as a handheld dedicated device, but it works very well and price is similar; $140. I spent ~$100 on a older used IBM laptop. Harrison is very good w/ software/firmware updates.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back