Hamlin and Busch disqualified

Pieces of clear tape.....

Great day in the frigging morning....

This is just ludicrous.

The totalitarian Nascar rule book has been out of control for a long, long time now. This is just another example of this stupidity.

Only aspects that SHOULD be regulated...

Fuel cell capacity and fuel lines and what making sure it is legit fuel nothing added, car weights before and after a race, motor size, and car sizes being exactly correct.

Otherwise.... Let them run.

This way, way, way over regulation by Nascar for the last 25 years is not helping their sport. It has hurt it.

This is just another example of this foolishness.

I mean we could have the Snowball Derby's "Room of Doom" but then that would lead to a whole mess of DQs. NASCAR is very specific in the rule book on the new car about how wraps can be applied and teams cannot deviate from those instructions. All of the body panels are single source parts that cannot be altered whatsoever unless guidance is given by NASCAR.

Installed UNDER the wrap.... Hmmm.
All of the body panels are single source parts that cannot be altered whatsoever unless guidance is given by NASCAR.
And there you have it. The current Gen car is a spec chassis. Modification of any spec component is clearly prohibited.

What the Gibbs team did, intentional or not, was a direct violation of the rules regarding a spec car. This had to be nipped in the bud and NASCAR had no choice but to DQ these guys.

Scott

I mean we could have the Snowball Derby's "Room of Doom" but then that would lead to a whole mess of DQs. NASCAR is very specific in the rule book on the new car about how wraps can be applied and teams cannot deviate from those instructions. All of the body panels are single source parts that cannot be altered whatsoever unless guidance is given by NASCAR.
And this my friend is going to be the demise of NASCAR. They look like IROC cars now and boring to watch. I'd rather spend my money and go to the local track and watch real racing. The Gopher 50 was awesome earlier in July and the Silver Dollar was great this past weekend in Nebraska! IMO, the Lucas Oil Dirt Late Models are probably the best show right now for dirt late model racing.

just my $0.02

And this my friend is going to be the demise of NASCAR. They look like IROC cars now and boring to watch. I'd rather spend my money and go to the local track and watch real racing. The Gopher 50 was awesome earlier in July and the Silver Dollar was great this past weekend in Nebraska! IMO, the Lucas Oil Dirt Late Models are probably the best show right now for dirt late model racing.

just my $0.02
So you like a manufacturer's championship, not a driver's championship? This is exactly why F1 sucks compared to IndyCar.

I agree with having unique-ness at the "club" level, but when you get the likes of Toyota, Chevrolet, and Ford in NASCAR; and Mercedes Benz, Ferrari, Honda, and Renault (er, ah, Alpine) in F1 - big league professional racing becomes a game of financial chicken and eventual budget suicide.

Scott

Last edited:
So you like a manufacturer's championship, not a driver's championship? This is exactly why F1 sucks compared to IndyCar.

I agree with having unique-ness at the "club" level, but when you get the likes of Toyota, Chevrolet, and Ford in NASCAR; and Mercedes Benz, Ferrari, Honda, and Renault (er, ah, Alpine) in F1 - big league professional racing becomes a game of financial chicken and eventual budget suicide.

Scott

I'll take local short track racing any day over NASCAR, F1 or IndyCar.

LOLMDS, WoO, UMP, USMTS, IMCA, I'm down with any of these...

just my $0.02

I'll take local short track racing any day over NASCAR, F1 or IndyCar.

LOLMDS, WoO, UMP, USMTS, IMCA, I'm down with any of these...

just my $0.02
I enjoy professional motorsports, but I fully agree with your love of "grassroots" racing. While in college I crewed for an SCCA F Production team. Cars built in their garages and drivers who had "real jobs" for a living. Some of the best times of my life was back then turning wrenches for Mark and Bobby. My driver acquaintance, who turned into a very good friend; I got him a ride via the small business I worked for, racing super modifieds at the local 1/4 mile dirt track. Primitive, big winged cars with 700 horsepower, the drivers doing wicked opposite lock power slides twice a lap. Those guys were fierce competitors. And on then on Monday, all of them showed up for work, doing all the things people do for a living. But, man, some of those guys really knew how to drive a car - a car that wanted to kill them!

I'm with you, tnt.

Scott

Last edited:
What are the chances that the tape was noticed on the pre-inspection, allowed to run , DQ'd after final inspection to make an example of them?

I’m not even a fan, but if they are going to have this level of scrutiny, they should hold atleast the top 5, maybe the entire points field until at scrutineering is finished.

Doenst Busch drive for Hendrick?
Thats a pretty big team with lots of cars to get a DQ.

Pieces of clear tape.....

Great day in the frigging morning....

This is just ludicrous.

The totalitarian Nascar rule book has been out of control for a long, long time now. This is just another example of this stupidity.

Only aspects that SHOULD be regulated...

Fuel cell capacity and fuel lines and what making sure it is legit fuel nothing added, car weights before and after a race, motor size, and car sizes being exactly correct.

Otherwise.... Let them run.

This way, way, way over regulation by Nascar for the last 25 years is not helping their sport. It has hurt it.

This is just another example of this foolishness.
I don't watch this trash anymore...but you do understand Pocono is a 200MPH track and those pieces of tape make ALL the difference because you can carry 1 more MPH into the corner IOT get your car set for the corner ahead of the competition. They wouldn't matter at Bristol or Martinsville, and probably wouldn't matter at Dega or Daytona. JGR did this on purpose, no question about it.

I don't watch this trash anymore...but you do understand Pocono is a 200MPH track and those pieces of tape make ALL the difference because you can carry 1 more MPH into the corner IOT get your car set for the corner ahead of the competition. They wouldn't matter at Bristol or Martinsville, and probably wouldn't matter at Dega or Daytona. JGR did this on purpose, no question about it.

You got some evidence to support that?

I understand this 100 percent ...

I have been calling watching racing a long time captain...

I don't care.... About tape

Duh... Of course they used to TAPE off the entire from nose of every single car while qualifying... At Daytona, Michigan, Talladega, Pocono, Darlington... They did that.

This leading to cars pushing water out of the over flow after their second lap if they went that far.

Still....

Who cares ???

It's tape....

I don't care...

This gross totalitarian Nascar rule book garbage has been over done for a long time now. It's stupid.

And I don't care about tape... Neither should Nascar.

This is just stupid.

Weigh the cars...ok sure.

Check the fuel capacity... Ok sure...

Check the fuel itself... Ok..

Check the motor size... Ok... Sure...

Make sure the car isn't too small... Maybe say like Bill Elliot's car was in 1985... ?? ?

Not sure of that was totally true but cutting a car's size by 1/64 cuts down on drag tremendously...

Used to be they would add or take off tape during races... Was a typical occurrence. That's a fact.... They did that all the time for a good while there.

This foolishness needs to be put to a end.

And guess what ???

When certain teams found out that using different brake pad materials and better rotor metallurgy and air ducts to the rotors gave them an advantage at say Richmond, Martinsville Bristol.... That happened at those places too...
Because better brake performance helps corner entry speed a fair amount and... You saw cars not losing their brakes either throughout the entire race.

I saw first hand that Joe Nemechek win at Richmond because he had a better brake package than everyone else that night. I thought hey ... That was good on him and his 25 team that night.

So... Should totalitarian Nascar be making all the teams use the exact same rotors, brake pads, and air ducts at those tracks ??

I say no.

That's where innovation made certain cars better than others.

And I'm not against that.

Last edited:
Back