Another reason why I gave up watching pro sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't everything today, corporate, or for the wealthy? In 2022, as we were in the parking lot of a concert, an older gentleman, likely my age :ROFLMAO:

said, hey, bro, what's the least amount you remember paying for parking? I said ok I think I'm right.....$10. He then says what about tickets? I said $18.50.

Today, $50 and maybe $130. That's why I was so so happy to have snuck in (how does one do that in the modern era) to the pit area where scalped tix were like $600. I made my way to about 12th row from the stage. Here's where I say, video to prove it, but that's so worthless is any show is all over YouTube lol

I have only seen one NHL game in the modern era, center ice, 100 section. This is because my wife's cousin worked for MLSE at the time, he got us those tix, and also for the Scotia Club.

All the other NHL games I've seen are through work and vendors. People say it basically costs nearly $1,000 an outing for a family of 4-5.

I've only seen 1 NBA game, 3 NFL games, and a bunch of MLB games.

Seen Stanley Cup Finals and WS only, not the other 2.

I think sometimes it's all a waste of our own personal time, but if I had to choose only 1, I'd choose ice hockey. Heck I even go to youth games. I wish we had college games which might be affordable.
That's because people, on a worldwide scale, have gone crazy about visiting places, going to concerts, aimlessly traveling, and basically consuming and destroying everything. There is an insatiable demand; consequently, everything is priced accordingly. I only fly once or twice every few years, and every time I do, I'm more and more shocked by what I see.

That's because people, on a worldwide scale, have gone crazy about visiting places, going to concerts, aimlessly traveling, and basically consuming and destroying everything. There is an insatiable demand; consequently, everything is priced accordingly. I only fly once or twice every few years, and every time I do, I'm more and more shocked by what I see.
I take what you said, "aimlessly traveling, and basically consuming and destroying everything..." as both funny, and sad. I agree.

I'm an odd duck in that I could go 30 years without a vacation, I don't generally enjoy them, nor the credit card bills they genearate. These need to be paid in full every month. But I can't tell my wife and son that.

Okay, let me explain how it will go. San Francisco is going to win the Super Bowl. Ms. Swift will then break up with Travis. My crystal ball is failing to clarify who will instigate the breakup. It will be in the news for weeks. The resulting song will top the charts. Sometime this summer Ms. Swift will have a new boy friend, a superstar major league baseball player. Travis will fade into obscurity, with only his millions to comfort him.

We are big hockeys fans and used to love going to the Spectrum. Small venue compared to today’s venues. The ticket holders were vastly blue collar and it seemed the foundation shook when a goal was scored. When the CoreStates Center, now Wells Fargo, was built, prices went through the roof and a lot of corporations/law firms etc. bought up season tickets. The vibe changed. I would look around and see a lot of people not really getting into the game like when the Spectrum was around. Then when smart phones came out they buried themselves into their phone. Still a lot of loyal fans and I’m sure it’s that way in a lot of venues, hockey and otherwise but still, different vibe.

It would be interesting to get some stats on how many people attending actually pay for their tickets from their personal income? I think many tickets will be "business expenses".
I think you would be correct. Most of the ones I have gone to were on someone's company dime.

I know a group of guys that I used to work with that get season tickets. They do a draft thing every year and split them up evenly. If they make the playoffs I have heard of guys scalping the tickets because it can pay for a good portion of their annual amount.

I used to enjoy going just for the event atmosphere, but the last time I went I honestly didn't enjoy it at all - I just sat there and thought about how much useful stuff they could have done with all that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back