Half Off Tekton

FYI. Not sure if this is true at all Meijer stores, but the one I just returned from had all their Tekton tools at half off. They appear to be closing out their tool section. It was fairly well picked over, but I was able to get a $70 socket set and ratchet that rang up for $25. Still a lot of torque wrenches and pliers of all kinds at this particular location.

I think I'm going to swing by Meijer on the way home.... Been looking at their 1/4" torque wrench, to go along with the 1/2" I already have, for a while.

Grabbed the last 1/4" torque wrench (they had a 3/8" in a box labeled as a 1/4" but with a different UPC so someone might take it home and discover this once they open it) and a long-nose vise-grip. Yes, everything is 50% off but the signs say "limited time only". No mention of "clearance" or anything though...

They usually have this sale every thanksgiving/ Black Friday.

I thought it used to be buy one get one though?

I spoke to a Meijer employee yesterday in the tool section; he said that Meijer is discontinuing the Tekton line and will be replacing it with 'something else'. He also said they were told to go through the back room to make sure that every Tekton tool was out on the sales floor.
I asked the gentlemen what product line they will be carrying instead of Tekton; he said he did not know, they would not tell him.
I am pretty disappointed; I have come to really like Tekton tools, and have purchased a ton of tools at Meijer over the past couple of years. I think I'll find myself in Meijer much less often now.
I'm worried that Meijer might be shifting to a lower quality brand.

FYI. Not sure if this is true at all Meijer stores, but the one I just returned from had all their Tekton tools at half off. They appear to be closing out their tool section. It was fairly well picked over, but I was able to get a $70 socket set and ratchet that rang up for $25. Still a lot of torque wrenches and pliers of all kinds at this particular location.
Meijer is kind of weird about their tool/hardware section. Every few years they seem to gut it, reducing it to the very basics, only to bring it all back 2 or 3 years later. I've seen this pattern many times in the nearly 25 years we've had Meijer stores in town

Meijer has been moving away from all but the simplest DIY for years. You used to be able to buy some basic plumbing and electrical supplies. Now, there are next to none. People go to Home Depot and Lowes for those items. If I had to guess, Stanley will be their top tool line. :(

If true about Meijers, it reinforces the idea of how difficult it is for a tool manufacturer and/or supplier to get established and retain consistent retail shelf space. I don't see much SK available anywhere after taking great strides to keep their U.S. made brand going. Michigan based Family Farm and Home (similar to TSC) had huge Tekton tool shelf space that is now gone. Bad news for Tekton if Meijer is dropping them. I wonder if the general public is still attached to the Craftsman perception, now available at Lowes?

If true about Meijers, it reinforces the idea of how difficult it is for a tool manufacturer and/or supplier to get established and retain consistent retail shelf space. I don't see much SK available anywhere after taking great strides to keep their U.S. made brand going. Michigan based Family Farm and Home (similar to TSC) had huge Tekton tool shelf space that is now gone. Bad news for Tekton if Meijer is dropping them. I wonder if the general public is still attached to the Craftsman perception, now available at Lowes?

Agreed, very difficult to retain retail shelf space. Retail consumer/DIY grade tools have been in this downward spiral race to the bottom for quite some time now. Tekton at Meijer was one of the exceptions, but I guess we are losing them now.

I'm sure this hurts Tekton/MIT to a degree, but in addition to selling some pretty good tools, they also appear to have invested heavily in a darn good website, fast shipping, and best-in-class (in my opinion) customer service, so I for one will continue to support them via online orders (while hoping that they find a new mass retail outlet).

Back