Half and half shortage

Half and half and cream were out at walmart - I assume due to the thanksgiving holiday. I had to stop at the regular grocery store to get some and they had plenty at apparently higher prices. Supply and demand works - who knew!

I heard on the radio that cool-whip was 7 bucks a small tub, and so I looked, and it was! I don't eat frozen oil so I thought it was funny. The cooler case was full of it though, no takers.

Last winter, the local Aldi didn't have skim milk in gallon jugs for several months. And again now, no gallons of skim for the past several weeks. No biggy, as the Wegman's across the street has plenty. I just wonder what the story is there.

Are you using it for coffee creamer? If so, substitute canned evaporated milk.
Interesting... I'm going to have to try this just because I'm curious how it tastes. Probably similar to those little shelf-stable creamers?

@aquariuscsm I use heavy cream in my coffee and tea pretty often just because we always have it around and I hate cluttering the fridge up with another carton. Only issue is that heavy cream tends to separate and float to the top and then you get a sip or two that are 50% milk fat and and 50% coffee. Kinda tastes like unsalted coffee-flavored butter.

Last edited:
Sign in the dairy case at the Giant said no half and half...supply chain BS.
Yet milk and cream cases were well stocked???
Costco here had tons of half-half

Sounds local or just BS

Where are you located?

We have a top boss who doesn't think we know what a supply chain is and shoddy outlets who have outdated inventory control so they blame "supply chain" for everything.

We've experienced similar issues the last couple of years. I notice it more when coffee cream is out of stock and they do have half and half, as the former is my go-to. Likewise between the various milk SKUs of varying fat content.

I just use a shot of some of this.

1669903882131.jpg

Costco here had tons of half-half

Sounds local or just BS

Where are you located?

We have a top boss who doesn't think we know what a supply chain is and shoddy outlets who have outdated inventory control so they blame "supply chain" for everything.
That is still a supply chain issue. We solve supply chain issues at my company keeping 18 months worth of safety stock. Of course we have supply chain agreements with our suppliers, but they claim force majeure and we are left hanging. Not every company is that conservative. We almost had an issue getting the little glass vials to fill our drug product into when the manufacturer closed a plant in the US and opened one in Mexico.

We're fortunate in that there are many grocery stores in less than a 10 mile radius. Giant, Acme, Wegmans, ShopRite, Aldi, Lidl, Whole Foods, The Fresh Market, Costco, Sprouts...most less than 5 miles.

That is still a supply chain issue. We solve supply chain issues at my company keeping 18 months worth of safety stock. Of course we have supply chain agreements with our suppliers, but they claim force majeure and we are left hanging. Not every company is that conservative. We almost had an issue getting the little glass vials to fill our drug product into when the manufacturer closed a plant in the US and opened one in Mexico.
Yes and no.

Blaming the supply chain behind you (ie someone else) for (you) screwing up at the outlet source really is NOT a supply CHAIN issue!

How well would using straight heavy cream work instead of Half and Half? I bet it would be good!
It is! I've used manufacturing cream (42% fat) and it's a real pleasure, but even regular "heavy" or whipping, cream is a treat.

1669906477412.jpeg

Back