Had it with my local AZ

So as many of you know, I change the Castrol Transmax CVT everytime I change oil. Well the prices of Transmax was over 89.00 for 6 bottles on Amazon and it's 12.99 per qt from AZ. The help lately has been less than stellar and I don't feel valued so I went out for a new alternative.
I called Honda dealership and was told around 15.00 per qt for their HCF2 fluid which was just horrible for a bare minimal sub par product. Well I kept digging and found Redline CVT fluid for 13.95 a qt and a discount code. So, out the door and delivered..I got 12 qts, paid the 9.99 delivery and it was 170.00! Thinking 🤔 about my luck I went ahead and bought 12 more and got it for 169.50.
So later tonight I thought about what would happen if I tried to buy more and was sunk as the price jumped back to the standard 18.34 plus tax.
So, I am happy that I got a better fluid for not much more than what they are charging for basic cvt fluid, found a great deal, and have a significant amount to get through these tough financial times.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220621-191608~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220621-191608~2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20220621-191711.jpg
    Screenshot_20220621-191711.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220621_190924.jpg
    20220621_190924.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20220621-191907.jpg
    Screenshot_20220621-191907.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20220621-191451.jpg
    Screenshot_20220621-191451.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 40
Do let us know how the Redline CVT fluid works in your trans. I have not seen many users on here, if any use the Redline CVT

So as many of you know, I change the Castrol Transmax CVT everytime I change oil. Well the prices of Transmax was over 89.00 for 6 bottles on Amazon and it's 12.99 per qt from AZ. The help lately has been less than stellar and I don't feel valued so I went out for a new alternative.
I called Honda dealership and was told around 15.00 per qt for their HCF2 fluid which was just horrible for a bare minimal sub par product. Well I kept digging and found Redline CVT fluid for 13.95 a qt and a discount code. So, out the door and delivered..I got 12 qts, paid the 9.99 delivery and it was 170.00! Thinking 🤔 about my luck I went ahead and bought 12 more and got it for 169.50.
So later tonight I thought about what would happen if I tried to buy more and was sunk as the price jumped back to the standard 18.34 plus tax.
So, I am happy that I got a better fluid for not much more than what they are charging for basic cvt fluid, found a great deal, and have a significant amount to get through these tough financial times.

You change your CVT fluid every time you change your engine oil? You also said tough financial times times.

You change your CVT fluid every time you change your engine oil? You also said tough financial times times.
I don't have a CVT, but do try to do a drain-and-fill (c. 2-1/2 quarts) on our '07 Dodge Grand Caravan at least every other OC. Given the reputation these transmissions have, it seems like a good investment.

I'd be tempted to do the same with a CVT. They are said to be so expensive to rebuild that the vehicle is often scrapped instead.

It makes even more sense to go a bit overboard on maintenance given the outrageous cost of vehicles at present.

Why do you change it every oil change? Are they problematic? Do they have any type of filter in them? I haven't had a CVT vehicle so far but it looks like I will end up with one at some point as they are very common now.

Why do you change it every oil change? Are they problematic? Do they have any type of filter in them? I haven't had a CVT vehicle so far but it looks like I will end up with one at some point as they are very common now.
I changed it because of the time I had an abundance of the Castrol fluid I had bought on clearance. They don't rebuild CVT transmissions because once the belt breaks metal debris go flying everywhere and I figure it's cheaper to replace fluid than to replace transmissions. A long time ago, Molekule quoted that CVT's shear the fluid faster than oil or tranny fluid. I took his knowledge, my OCD, and car enthusiast to the extreme a just decided to keep up on it. Only once or twice has the fluid gotten changed on the second oil change. I might try to VOA this stuff I bought from Redline. Got enough transmax left to get me to the 200,000 mile mark and at that time I will do the conversion over.

I recall their ATF+4 being either out of stock or having gone up in price..or both.

I don’t think it’s Autozone’s fault. 🤷‍♂️

The JATCO CVTs (as used in Nissans) have a bad reputation, although some people say that the primary causes of failure are either not changing the fluid or changing it but using the wrong fluid.

I've heard nothing bad about the CVTs used by Honda and Toyota.

Regardless, if I had one I would do regular fluid changes.

The JATCO CVTs (as used in Nissans) have a bad reputation, although some people say that the primary causes of failure are either not changing the fluid or changing it but using the wrong fluid.

I've heard nothing bad about the CVTs used by Honda and Toyota.

Regardless, if I had one I would do regular fluid changes.

The issues have been entirely solved on the newer ones (last 3 years) that are behind the 3.5s - probably some kind of VQ35DE. idk if any are mated to a 3.7L or VQ37VHR. (At least Murano.)

They go like rocket ships. The Versas are showing up like bad pennies for cheap. (At least earlier ones.)

A long time ago, Molekule quoted that CVT's shear the fluid faster than oil or tranny fluid. I took his knowledge, my OCD, and car enthusiast to the extreme a just decided to keep up on it. Only once or twice has the fluid gotten changed on the second oil change.
You've conflated a little bit of knowledge, some spare time, and some reckless enthusiasm and what you've ended up with is a big pile of wasted resources.

What a joke.

Honda's HCF2 was designed to be used in newer Honda CVT's only, to the specs those CVTs require. Why would a universal-type aftermarket product be better?
Well the CVT fluid from Redline is ester based. For awhile I thought it was PAO, but apparently after looking inside the box it differs. Has quoted out to 30,000 mile interval changed to which I wouldn't recommend but will probably still change it every 20,000 miles. Lastly, it's not on a price point as a boutique similar to Amsoil, Ravenol,etc so the consumer can get a better product if they are willing to spend the coin.

Attachments

• 20220624_192349.jpg
    20220624_192349.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220624_192343_HDR.jpg
    20220624_192343_HDR.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220624_192401_HDR.jpg
    20220624_192401_HDR.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220624-164906.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624-164906.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 7
my only option go to down below

I drained and filled 3x in our '16 CRV for nearly 100K miles right now and CVT is in tip top shape I'd say

Honda looking back always had a delicate transmissions, and by the default everyone who tends to keep their Hondas in the long run has stuck to OEM fluids and I would not deviate from that receipt

IMG_5124.jpeg

Well the CVT fluid from Redline is ester based. For awhile I thought it was PAO, but apparently after looking inside the box it differs. Has quoted out to 30,000 mile interval changed to which I wouldn't recommend but will probably still change it every 20,000 miles. Lastly, it's not on a price point as a boutique similar to Amsoil, Ravenol,etc so the consumer can get a better product if they are willing to spend the coin.
Again, how does any of that make it 'better' than the Honda-designed fluid spec'd for the Honda-designed CVT?

Back