HAD IT...going with full size spare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the fourth 'tire issue' in the last few years (screws, sidewall cuts you name it between 2 vehicles). I've decided to rig a full-size spare for my new 2006 Civic. Bought the tire at tire-rack and will hit up the dealer for an alloy wheel. Bottom line is that I don't want to worry about dealing with the donut, especially since I'm moving to a relatively more remote area of the country (currently in NJ).

I can fit it in the spare tire well...it will stick up into the trunk a bit but I can find a nice cover or piece of carpet to put in there.

Also will plan to include it in a 5-tire rotation scheme so that it doesn't dry rot in the trunk.

I don't blame you. The donut spares suck. I would do the same thing but a full sized tire won't fit in the spare wheel well.

I'm sure you could even custom a cover and be done with it.

did the same thing for my sister while she is at college. i went to a junkyard and got a 15 inch spare that has the right offset and bolt patern for her honda civic. then put on a used tyre of the proper dimensions.

this way if theres a flat, she can drive on the spare for months in theory.

I usually wait until the original tires are replaced. I keep the best used tire of the four and buy a used rim. The Harbor Freight tire changer has taken the pain out of spending $10 to mount a $5 tire.

ACiD brought up a good point. Even a used tire of the proper size is safer to ride on than a mini spare. The vehicle dynamics at speed are more predictable.

You just gave me a good idea, instead of worrying about dismounting and remounting one of the 'best used tire', I can pay $25 for a used rim that is identical to the ones that are already on my car and then have them dismount 3 of the old tires and mount 3 new ones on the current rims and another tire on the one I just bought. Great idea Kestas.

tirerack or discounttiredirect may also have a steelie wheel for your ride (if you didn't want to include it in the rotation). I had a full-size spare as an option on a 99 Stratus (Dodge used to option full-size spares). Never used it. I've only had to use a donut once. It wasn't pretty. Most will not fit a full-sized in the spare compartment.

When I bought my 85 Omni, the full spare option was $52... basically a rip-off. I know it didn't cost the manufacturer $52 more to provide a full-size spare over a mini-spare. A full-sized tire fit in the spare tire well, so space wasn't an issue.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
Matt, a 4-wheel rotation scheme is simpler to execute and keep track of with almost no downside.

But you can do a 5 wheel rotation with only one jack.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
Matt, a 4-wheel rotation scheme is simpler to execute and keep track of with almost no downside.

But you can do a 5 wheel rotation with only one jack.

Good point...

Plus, your spare tire doesn't become some pretty boy FNG who comes in to save the day while the rest of your tires do all the dirty work day in and day out. Everybody shares the load and can be counted on when the chips are down
smile.gif

Yeah, I'm taking a huge hit to get an OEM wheel...about $350 for the whole package (tire & wheel). But, since I'll be including it in the rotation I think it will even out in the end.

This whole deal has been a small price to pay for my wife getting interested in wheels & tires...it was actually HER idea to get a full size spare!! Now if I can get her thinking about oil & antifreeze I'll be GOLDEN.

And, you can get a steel wheel and cheap tire for a spare for lot le$$. Tires doing spare duty typically last well over 10 years and still look good. The rubber is a bit harder but they are still sevicable spares.

I would rather do a 4 wheel rotation and swap out my road tires 20% earlier than muck with a 5 wheel rotation.

Also if you are late on a 5 wheel rotation, it
s npt practical to even out the wear, if you do a criss cross 4 wheel rotation, it's easy to even out the wear by delaying the next rotation.

Seriously though, giving it a bit more thought...here's a case for 5 tire rotation:

Say you're doing 4-tire rotation and you've got maybe 25% of your tires' usable life left. Then you have a blowout. I personally wouldn't want 1 new tire and 3 almost used up tires (not to mention a bad bad idea for cars w/ AWD), so I'd end up buying 4 new tires, giving up 25% life on 3 tires.

Now, with a 5-tire rotation if I blow a tire, I can just put the 'scuffed' spare on, buy a new tire to be the spare, and do a 4-tire rotation (not include spare) until it was time to buy 4 new ones. Then I'd have 5 new tires and go back to the 5-tire rotation.

Uptight, yes but it works for me.

You guys will love this: I removed my donut spare and scissor jack out of my trunk to save weight (also gained some trunk capacity). I carry a can of fix-a-flat and a cell phone for a tow if needed.

Livin' life on the edge.
nono.gif
crushedcar.gif
twak.gif

LOL, I bet I've just bought myself a "no road hazard" guarantee for the next 100K miles.

Wife and I are traveling about 1200 miles soon (transfer)...will be nice to know that if something goes wrong we can just DRIVE ON!

I actually thought about going from full size spare to donut to save weight. In 3.5 years 40K never used it once.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:
You guys will love this: I removed my donut spare and scissor jack out of my trunk to save weight (also gained some trunk capacity). I carry a can of fix-a-flat and a cell phone for a tow if needed.

Livin' life on the edge.
nono.gif
crushedcar.gif
twak.gif

Surfstar, you are only living life close to the edge. I'm not too worried about the weight, so I have a 2 ton hydrolic [sp] jack and breaker bar in my truck (extended cab -- stuff behind seat), but don't carry a spare because the mounting thingy under the box is busted and I don't want to put a spare in the back for fear of it getting stolen. I do have a cell phone, but usually don't have it with me because I don't want to be carrying it around all the time (don't use it much). I think I will be investing in a can of fix-a-flat though!

To make matters worse, I have 235's on the back (because they will fit) and 215's on the front (because 235's won't fit), so I would have to carry two spares. Fortunatley, I haven't had a flat in several years (maybe 10 or more), but I think I can hear the air coming out of all my tires now as I type this!
lol.gif

quote:

Now, with a 5-tire rotation if I blow a tire, I can just put the 'scuffed' spare on, buy a new tire to be the spare, and do a 4-tire rotation (not include spare) until it was time to buy 4 new ones. Then I'd have 5 new tires and go back to the 5-tire rotation.

The problem with this approach is if it takes you a while (say, 3 years)to wear out the 4 old tires (say, 60% left), and you have a new full size spare. By the time you replace the 4 old tires and rotate it with the new one, you may have the following problems:

1) The full size spare is now dry and aged
2) The full size spare may be discontinued, and you need to buy a new design.
3) You found out the brand/model you got sucks, but you are stuck with a brand new one.

In each of these case, you will either waste a brand new tire, or risk using one odd ball when you replace all of them.

One possible advantage for a 5 tire rotation is that all tires get used and none sit for years unused. Tires unused for a long time crack, degrade and fail faster than tires that are used from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back