Had a bit of a scare this morning, thoughts?

Yesterday I drove close to 300 miles, a first since having the transmission rebuilt. Everything went well until this morning when I went to start the car up. I got a warning message on my dash saying I had low oil pressure. It went away after a couple of seconds and there was no rattling or banging, however I'm trying to figure out what happened.

All I can figure is that the oil was so warm it all drained out of the pump gears overnight and left the pump bone dry.

Did you at least check the oil level? 🥃
The volume may be down just enough from the longish highway drive causing the sensor to trigger the message.
And it may never happen again.
Could also be from the oil slightly burning off from the drive?
Especially if you used a different oil that is slightly thinner?
Just guessing! :unsure:

Last edited:
Did you at least check the oil level? 🥃
The volume may be down just enough from the longish highway drive causing the sensor to trigger the message.
And it may never happen again.
Could also be from the oil slightly burning off from the drive?
Especially if you used a different oil that is slightly thinner?
Just guessing! :unsure:
Yes I checked the oil. Right on the full mark.

Once you get an engine up to operating temps and keep it there for 5 or 6 hours, all the fuel that was diluting the level of the oil will burn off.

I can see where that happening after a trans rebuild would get you to thinking. All you can do is make sure the oil level is correct. Have you had the oil changed recently to a different brand or grade?

I can see where that happening after a trans rebuild would get you to thinking. All you can do is make sure the oil level is correct. Have you had the oil changed recently to a different brand or grade?
No I haven't. Oil was changed in Feb and is due for a change here in 1k.

I just bought a obd ii Bluetooth adapter and set it up with torque pro my oil pressure reading from the sending unit is -17.5 psi. I think it's safe to say it's toast. However I'm not getting a low oil pressure light.

I just bought a obd ii Bluetooth adapter and set it up with torque pro my oil pressure reading from the sending unit is -17.5 psi. I think it's safe to say it's toast. However I'm not getting a low oil pressure light.
Can sending units (or PCM's) even register negative OP values? There'd be little reason to

Is the minus sign just the nature of the program, ie an oversight, glitch or just a "dash"?

the oil was pushing through the unit on mine and soaking the connector.

Screenshot_20220521-141353_Torque.jpg

Back