H7 to H8 size, is it worth the extra 50 CCA?

It's been 5 years. Battery seems to be doing well. I keep a trickle charger on it. It's the factory battery and was looking at getting a new one. From what I can tell the extra 1.5" length will fit in my battery tray and not hit anything. Might wait but I do go on trips so don't want to get stranded. Is it worth going from an H7 with 850 CCA to and H8 to 900. Cost is the same according to the Walmart web site. Thanks

I'm not sure of all the specifics, but this is what I replaced the H7 in my Ram with and its been a good one so far. They called it a 94R.

Edit:

Been a few years since I shopped and it looks like Walmart now has H7 AGM for only $180 with 4 year free replacement.. Looks like a winner to me. I wouldn't bother trying anything other than stock for 50 amps.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of all the specifics, but this is what I replaced the H7 in my Ram with and its been a good one so far. They called it a 94R.

Edit:

Been a few years since I shopped and it looks like Walmart now has H7 AGM for only $180 with 4 year free replacement.. Looks like a winner to me. I wouldn't bother trying anything other than stock for 50 amps.

Yeah, the H7 and H8 are the same $180.
CCA is not a good way to pick battery How much is the weight difference.. more weight = more battery.
H7 is 52.02lbs and H8 is 58.97lbs So six more pounds of lead?

It's been 5 years. Battery seems to be doing well. I keep a trickle charger on it. It's the factory battery and was looking at getting a new one. From what I can tell the extra 1.5" length will fit in my battery tray and not hit anything. Might wait but I do go on trips so don't want to get stranded. Is it worth going from an H7 with 850 CCA to and H8 to 900. Cost is the same according to the Walmart web site. Thanks
What are you cranking ?

Edit:

Put that AGM in my Jeep recently - cranks like it’s new 😵‍💫

I have always gotten longer out of larger batteries, so I agree with @Rand - more battery is better.

My Toyota has a factory H5. I will replace it with a H6 - the tray appears set up for it. It clamps at the bottom, not a strap over it - but their are extra holes that look like H6 will work.

^^6.95 lb. of lead, electrolyte, paper impregnated plates and polypropylene.
I stayed with an H6 though my car has room and hardware adaptations (a bolt hole) for an H8.

If the cost doesn't go up with more than about 13% I'd say go for it if it's a direct fit

Back