Guzzling the E85

It is our BAS 5w30. It is a streetable version of a race oil that was born out of our Pro Stock experience.

I believe RDY4WAR has run the same oil out to 9,000 miles if memory serves correct in one of his vehicles.
Can you please email or PM me a PDS (there isn't one on the Advanced Lubrication website)? I'd be interested to try it in the HEMI 5.7 in our RAM 1500. It's currently running M1 EP 5W-20 and a 180F thermostat, with no grille shutters. I'd like to upgrade the oil to HPL in that truck. Thank you.

1-ton GM van with 6.0 and 6L90 went from 16 mpg on E10 regular ($3.99) to 13 mpg on E85 ($2.69). Had better response and did not downshift as much on hills. The stations near me don’t have price spread wide enough to justify E85 most of the time.
In this case, E85 is more economical:
Cost per mile on E10 = 399/16 = 25 cents per mile
For E85: 269/13 = 20.7 cents per mile.
If you can keep getting the E85 for that % price spread, go for it.
The 19% loss in fuel economy is more than offset by the 33% decrease in fuel cost.

Last edited:
This might be more an issue for direct injected engines. Most of the flex fuel vehicles that I am familiar with are port injected. Interesting video attached.

1654353740047.jpg

What about engine wear and the fact that ethanol washes the oil off the inside of the engine?
GM built the engine to run E85. Wear materials on the valves and piston rings have been selected to work with E85.

Gasoline is also a powerful solvent, so washing the cylinders can also be a problem.
I know from oil analysis on my Buick that it has a BAD problem with fuel dilution running on gasoline. (Check out my post in the UOA section.)
I just sent in a UOA sample where part of the oil change interval was run with E85, so I'll be interested to see what the effect on fuel dilution and wear metals is.
I have approached running E85 carefully, and so far have run only one tankful with a full dose of E85. Most of my tank fills have been 50% or less of E85.

Explain how you get more power out of a lower BTU fuel.

You understand the power output of what is basically an air pump is limited only by the amount of air it can move, or how efficient it can make the thermodynamic cycle, right?

BTU content of a fuel has ZERO impact on power output until you reach the maximum flow rate of the injectors or the fuel pump.

If you care to learn more, I have a few papers I can share (previously shared here already) on how just running ethanol enhanced fuel can increase power output simply from the amount of energy it takes to vaporize the fuel.

Back