Guyana now a significant oil producer

In 1997 I did an economic study on Guyana. The study was centered on how the only English-speaking country in South America could be so poor. Guyana was/is full bursting with natural resources to include lumber, gold, and fresh water. Yet Guyana on many scales was the poorest country in South America (in 1997). Two other weird facts, Guyana as a country only had one full-service hospital, and one properly paved main road.

On a good note- Guyana made one outstanding sipping rum- El Dorado.

And if anyone cares why an English-speaking country so rich in natural resources was so very poor- gridlock between two diverse groups. French Guyana, its neighbor to the South is so much better off than Guyana. Britian granted Guyana independence, and Guyana (as of 1997) was not healthy in managing its independence. French Guyana is still a territory of France.
i spent two years working/living in haiti, which shares the island of hispaniola with the dominican republic. the eastern latter, with its own woes, is light years ahead of the western former. the hard cold truth is governance and demographics, but no more can be said…peace out.

haitian barbancourt 15 year old rum is nectar of the gods. try it once and you will flush bacardi. i spent three months in chad, there is no rum in chad.

i spent two years working/living in haiti, which shares the island of hispaniola with the dominican republic. the eastern latter, with its own woes, is light years ahead of the western former. the hard cold truth is governance and demographics, but no more can be said…peace out.

haitian barbancourt 15 year old rum is nectar of the gods. try it once and you will flush bacardi. i spent three months in chad, there is no rum in chad.
JS,

Thanks for sharing barbancourt 15 year old rum. I thought Guyanese 25 year old (El Dorado) was the cats meow, barbancourt is now on my buying radar.

Would love to cross paths with you sometimes and hear your experience on Haiti. I was identified to move to Haiti 15 years ago (never did), and was amazed at how such an extremely impoverished country had such high housing costs. I understand why now.

JS,

Thanks for sharing barbancourt 15 year old rum. I thought Guyanese 25 year old (El Dorado) was the cats meow, barbancourt is now on my buying radar.

Would love to cross paths with you sometimes and hear your experience on Haiti. I was identified to move to Haiti 15 years ago (never did), and was amazed at how such an extremely impoverished country had such high housing costs. I understand why now.
thank you. i recall seeing barbancourt rum somewhere in the usa but cant say where now. do tell if you find it, same with 25yo el dorado. i would sip a snifter of 15yo barbancourt with a fresh ground haitian expresso; i learned that every place has its few charms. i was in haiti for the fall of duvalier jr, having just left the philippines before the fall of marcos sr. my family maintained it wasn’t coincidence.

Back