gun-control logic applied in auto-reverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

There are many ways to accomplish self defense without a gun. Hundreds.

So your friend lets you use his country home for a vacation. One night you and your wife are awaken by the sound of breaking glass from downstairs. Someone has broken into the house (happens every 20 seconds in the USA). You don't know how many invaders came in but you know it is more than one because you can hear them talking. Your wife grabs the phone to call 911, but the nearest town is 10 miles away. Meanwhile you run into the closet and see a baseball bat, a hunting knife, and a semi-automatic pistol. The invaders are now coming up the stairs toward your bedroom. What do you do?

Perhaps you will try confronting them with the bat or the knife, a really foolish move, or more likely just beg for your life as they enter your bedroom. As for me, I'm grabbing the gun and fighting to protect myself and my wife. I will not be a helpless victim, which is why I keep a gun in my bedroom. I have a right to live, and therefore a right to protect my life from the evil that exists in this world. Our founding fathers recognized this right and enshrined it in our constitution.

Tom NJ

A security system would be the preferred choice for me. Guy is gone before you wake up. No armed confrontation.

But we are straying away from the original question: how is a car different from a gun.

Answer: cars are a necessity for 95% of us. A gun is not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

There are many ways to accomplish self defense without a gun. Hundreds.

So your friend lets you use his country home for a vacation. One night you and your wife are awaken by the sound of breaking glass from downstairs. Someone has broken into the house (happens every 20 seconds in the USA). You don't know how many invaders came in but you know it is more than one because you can hear them talking. Your wife grabs the phone to call 911, but the nearest town is 10 miles away. Meanwhile you run into the closet and see a baseball bat, a hunting knife, and a semi-automatic pistol. The invaders are now coming up the stairs toward your bedroom. What do you do?

Perhaps you will try confronting them with the bat or the knife, a really foolish move, or more likely just beg for your life as they enter your bedroom. As for me, I'm grabbing the gun and fighting to protect myself and my wife. I will not be a helpless victim, which is why I keep a gun in my bedroom. I have a right to live, and therefore a right to protect my life from the evil that exists in this world. Our founding fathers recognized this right and enshrined it in our constitution.

Tom NJ
That's a pretty easy call. He's grabbing the gun too. Arbitrary politics go out the window when the chips are down.

I wasn't meaning to come back to this thread, but found an interesting article about how police departments are now selling guns. In some cases, they are ending up in criminal hands, apparently through gun shows.

Quote:
In another troubling case, a police officer was behind a scheme that resulted in multiple guns ending up in the hands of criminals.

Roy Alloway, a longtime police officer and drug detective, was charged with illegally selling more than 700 guns. Many of these guns had been seized by local law enforcement agencies, including the drug task force he worked for. He would allegedly wait until the guns were sold by the police department to a dealer, and then purchase them in bulk to resell at gun shows to anyone who had the money.

"He knowingly permitted hundreds of firearms to enter the stream of commerce without conducting a background check on a single purchaser, nor engaging in any other safeguard that the law attempts to place on these instruments of death," federal prosecutors said in court documents.
Prosecutors also said that many of the firearms he purchased and sold were inexpensive guns "favored by street criminals." These included semi-automatic rifles and handguns.
Alloway was sentenced to two years behind bars in 2012 for unlawful dealing in firearms and filing a false income tax return.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/21/news/police-guns-crimes/index.html

Originally Posted By: hatt
[
He's grabbing the gun too. Arbitrary politics go out the window when the chips are down.

I don't have a problem shooting someone. You guys change the question and try and put people in liberal boxes.

The question of the thread is how is a car different from a gun as a weapon and how should that affect regulation of such.

Originally Posted By: Benito
I wasn't meaning to come back to this thread, but found an interesting article about how police departments are now selling guns. In some cases, they are ending up in criminal hands, apparently through gun shows.

Quote:
In another troubling case, a police officer was behind a scheme that resulted in multiple guns ending up in the hands of criminals.

Roy Alloway, a longtime police officer and drug detective, was charged with illegally selling more than 700 guns. Many of these guns had been seized by local law enforcement agencies, including the drug task force he worked for. He would allegedly wait until the guns were sold by the police department to a dealer, and then purchase them in bulk to resell at gun shows to anyone who had the money.

"He knowingly permitted hundreds of firearms to enter the stream of commerce without conducting a background check on a single purchaser, nor engaging in any other safeguard that the law attempts to place on these instruments of death," federal prosecutors said in court documents.
Prosecutors also said that many of the firearms he purchased and sold were inexpensive guns "favored by street criminals." These included semi-automatic rifles and handguns.
Alloway was sentenced to two years behind bars in 2012 for unlawful dealing in firearms and filing a false income tax return.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/21/news/police-guns-crimes/index.html
What's the point. The guns are sold through licensed dealers. Like any other new gun. Some make there way into criminal hands.

Benito said:
I wasn't meaning to come back to this thread, but found an interesting article about how police departments are now selling guns.
Intereestingly, the AR15 that the shooter at Australia's Port Arthur (not IMO the patsy currently in jail) that triggered our whole gun law debate was an AR15 that was handed to the Police in an amnesty in another state.

So in a state it was illegal, it was handed in to be destroyed, and ended up committing what was the world's worst gun massacre in another state.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Intereestingly, the AR15 that the shooter at Australia's Port Arthur (not IMO the patsy currently in jail) that triggered our whole gun law debate was an AR15 that was handed to the Police in an amnesty in another state.

So in a state it was illegal, it was handed in to be destroyed, and ended up committing what was the world's worst gun massacre in another state.
That's a wild story with all the twists and turns. So in that case, gun control directly caused others to be killed resulting in more gun control. Convenient.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Port Arthur wasn't the worlds worst gun massacre.

But we are straying away from the original question: how is a car different from a gun.

Well for starters, cars are not a guaranteed right enshrined in the constitution. You don't like guns, fine. But HOW DARE you try to dictate how, when, if, and why I choose to have a lawful firearm for lawful uses. It also has legitimate illegal uses as well (it was illegal to start a war with the British and declare an independent country, was it not?)

Owning a gun is a Right. Driving a car is a Privilege. Big Difference.

Originally Posted By: Nyati

And who told you that?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Well for starters, cars are not a guaranteed right enshrined in the constitution. You don't like guns, fine. But HOW DARE you try to dictate how, when, if, and why I choose to have a lawful firearm for lawful uses. It also has legitimate illegal uses as well (it was illegal to start a war with the British and declare an independent country, was it not?)

Automobiles did not exist at the time of the writing. Wait a second. I hear something. Your momma is telling you to go to bed.

The 2nd amendment gives you the right. States cannot bar you from owning a gun. States grant you a license to drive. That privilege can be revoked if you break laws (i.e. Drunk Driving). Read the Heller decision from the Supreme Court.

the 2nd amendment gives you the right. States cannot bar you from owning a gun. States grant you a license to drive. That privilege can be revoked if you break laws (i.e. Drunk Driving). Read the Heller decision from the Supreme Court.

The right of owning a gun can be revoked if you violate certain laws.

If you poll the country and ask which would you rather keep. Car or gun.

Who in their right mind is going to answer gun?

Why do you have to choose between a car and a gun? Why not have both? Which would you rather have air or water?

You have an inherent right to own a gun. You do not have an inherent right to drive a car. You have to be licensed to drive a car. You don't to own a gun.

Why do you have to choose between a car and a gun? Why not have both? Which would you rather have air or water?

You have an inherent right to own a gun. You do not have an inherent right to drive a car. You have to be licensed to drive a car. You don't to own a gun.

A firearms course and registration paperwork amounts to a license. Most states make you get a license to carry.

The founding fathers did not specifically include the right to own and ride a horse. It was something absolutely necessary for survival and was an assumed right.

Last edited:

And who told you that?

You didn't know that? Really?

Why do you have to choose between a car and a gun?

How about a gun in a car ... best of both worlds!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

And who told you that?

You didn't know that? Really?

Our 6th grade social studies teachers tell us these things then we go through life like its a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back