GTX Classic 20W-50?

Saw this at the shelves over at one of the local WMs - the label is a throwback to the old Castrol GTX labels of the 1970s-1990s. API SJ, marketed for classic cars and hot rods. I’d bet the Zn/P is in the mid-1000s and the NOACK/HTHS is at 4.5. I know a few people who would benefit from this with their older VWs and even motorcycles too.

Will this make its way to Amazon and your favorite chain parts store for those who don’t shop at WM?

I used 20W50 in my 69 Z28 back in the early 70s. It even started in the Michigan winter at 20 below...with a DieHard battery and occasionally a jump.

I am glad there are options, but this oil is more expensive or same price (depending on if M1 is on sale) per quart than Mobil 1 15W-50, which also has high zddp.

When I was a kid and didnt know much about oil, and I would put this in my cars that didnt need it - since I thought I was a hard and "racy" driver and needed a "racy" oil. :)

But they just went slower due to the high windage and losses and I was soon back to Havoline 10W30.
There are likely applications for the 20W50 oil as nthach said: aircooled buggies and v twins.
And some loosely built forged piston, chromed ringed Big Blocks.

When I was a kid and didnt know much about oil, and I would put this in my cars that didnt need it - since I thought I was a hard and "racy" driver and needed a "racy" oil. :)

But they just went slower due to the high windage and losses and I was soon back to Havoline 10W30.
There are likely applications for the 20W50 oil as nthach said: aircooled buggies and v twins.
And some loosely built forged piston, chromed ringed Big Blocks.
And older VW/Porsche boxer engines. Mercedes engines of the 1960s-1990s also enjoyed thicker oil, though Delo was my pick for those.

I remember using the 20W-50 in a '66 and a '72 super beetle. I got 300k miles with the .72.

Back