GTX 5w-30 Made The Engine Quieter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an oil change today on a 06 Corolla with Castrol GTX 5w-30 and a Fram PH4967 oil filter. The previous fill was bulk "Genuine Toyota 5w-30" and an OE filter from the dealership, which I understand is made by ExxonMobil. The old oil had about two months and 5600 miles on it and was medium brown (and full). While it did seem drain out rather quickly, I did not smell any gasoline.

After I installed the new oil, the engine was much quieter. There was no more "ticking" or "diesel-like" sounds coming from the engine. The oil and filter has always been changed every 5k on this car, so the oil change history is out of the question.

Any idea why new GTX made such a huge difference in the engine's NVH?

GTX is pretty thick at lower temperatures, so when you start the engine below temperature it is going to dampen a lot more noise.

I discovered that switching from Pennzoil 5W-30 to Valvoline 10W-30 for last summer. Much, much quieter on starts in an engine notorious for piston slap.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Thicker is quieter.

I compared the specifications of Clean 5000 (which I'm guessing is similar to the Genuine Toyota 5w-30 product) and GTX 5w-30, and both had similar viscosities at 40C and 100C.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Listen with the same intensity at 5000 miles.

New oil is quieter for every oil change I've done since 1974.

I've always listened closely before and after oil changes. I've never noticed a difference in engine NVH until now. I've even ran the oil to 10k before in the Saturn under severe service and I didn't hear a difference either. On this car, the engine "tone" changed completely.

That motor is noisy at start up. The famous 1ZZ-FE, when I first bought my Prizm it scared the [censored] out of me. No worries though they are super reliable. If an oil works, it works. I have to go with Pablo on this one. Freshly changed oil always seems quieter and smoother. Maybe I'm just making it up....

Hey bro, I traded off the Prizm and I still have a brand new right side interior door handle(beige) and shoes for the drums. Want them? Brand new Wagner Shoes...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Listen with the same intensity at 5000 miles.

New oil is quieter for every oil change I've done since 1974.

Aw, c'mon, we all know it's the Fram filter that made it quieter.

crackmeup2.gif
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Are you still using an OE filter with the GTX?

No, I'm using a Fram Extra Guard.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Pablo said:
Listen Aw, c'mon, we all know it's the Fram filter that made it quieter.

crackmeup2.gif
crazy2.gif

LOL.gif
That was a good one.
LOL.gif

Yeah, maybe it's because the Fram isn't filtering. It's just letting all the oil pass right through! The oil flow must be outstanding!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Are you still using an OE filter with the GTX?

No, I'm using a Fram Extra Guard.

Oops, somehow I missed Fram in your first post.

GTX and Fram are at the bottom of the list of products to try for my 1ZZFE. But yet its works so well for others. I may do a short OCI with that combo.

Been looking for something to quiet my 1ZZFE sewing machine.

Last edited:
I have a 1991 GMC Sierra V8. This engine love YB Pennzoil. At idle with Valvoline, GTX, Havoline, or Maxlife it will shudder and shake. With Pennzoil at idle while waiting for a stop light the engine runs like butter. Is it placebo? Who knows, but this is what I've noticed.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Thicker is quieter.

I compared the specifications of Clean 5000 (which I'm guessing is similar to the Genuine Toyota 5w-30 product) and GTX 5w-30, and both had similar viscosities at 40C and 100C.

How'd you manage that, considering Castrol doesn't publish the 40C viscosity?

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...psd_gtx_usa.pdf

You were right. I was looking at the SUS @ 210F line by accident. Sorry.

I know that this is a little off topic but...

Pep Boys is selling 5 quarts of GTX and a Purolator filter for $9.99 after a $3 rebate.

Side Note: Pep Boys also allows you to upgrade to a PurOne filter for an extra $2. Purolator currently has a $2 rebate on PurOne filters. I *THINK* that it's possible to redeem both rebates which would leave you with 5 quarts of GTX and a PurOne filter for $10 after $5 in rebates. I'm stopping by later today to pick up 2 sets.

http://www.pureoil.com/documents/rebates/2ns_rebate_form.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back