Group III better then IV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman, I am one of the bigger supporters of Castrol GTX, but I regard it as a short oil drain oil, in the 4000-5000 mile max. . Your test sounds very interesting though, anxious to see the results. One thing I noticed about the Castrol Products is that as you increase into their more expensive products the initial viscosity decreases. Their GTX oil is a good bit higher in initial viscosity than their Syntec Blend and full Syntec products (referring to the 5w-30 weight). Perhaps that is the reason the GTX seems to perform better than their other products.

I agree, it's probably a 4-5k oil, although with more highway driving like my sis does, I can see it going to 6k pretty easily. I'm betting it handles 6k intervals in her car just as well if not better than Syntec does, and is considerably cheaper. I paid less than 1/4 of the price for this 4L jug of GTX compared to what Syntec would cost.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I wonder if the Canadian Tire Formula 1 synthetic could actually be Rotella T then? As I said, it's supplied by Shell, and it's a group 3 oil so what are the chances that they could be the same?

I think I answered my own question here today. I was at Canadian Tire and saw a jug of Rotella T and see that it is only a 15w40 diesel oil. I thought Rotella T was an entire line of oils. So the Formula 1 synthetics can't be this same oil since they only come in 5w30, 5w50 and 10w30.

Rotella T was only $14 for a 4L jug too, which is $9 US. Is this a good deal?

quote:

quote:

I wonder if the Canadian Tire Formula 1 synthetic could actually be Rotella T then? As I said, it's supplied by Shell, and it's a group 3 oil so what are the chances that they could be the same?

I think I answered my own question here today. I was at Canadian Tire and saw a jug of Rotella T and see that it is only a 15w40 diesel oil. I thought Rotella T was an entire line of oils. So the Formula 1 synthetics can't be this same oil since they only come in 5w30, 5w50 and 10w30.

Rotella T was only $14 for a 4L jug too, which is $9 US. Is this a good deal?

Rotella T Synthetic and the Helix Ultra 5w40 (imported for sale in drum lots) are the only two XHVI based oils that Shell currently sells in the US. All their other synthetics are Group III, but not XHVI. Any private label Group III oils will no doubt NOT be the same as Rotella T Syn or Helix Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back