Groan @ launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I have a 91 BMW 318i. It has a 4.10 LSD and MT.

I recently had the rear subframe bushings and differential replaced. My car is much quieter now, but I have now encountered three phenomena.

I am not sure if they were there before, as my old diff was quite whiny, but I notice them, so Im interested in the possible cause/solution.

1) when I take off, in first gear, or am rolling very slowly, and put the car into second and take off, I sometimes get a funny sound. Its a combination of a groan and a crunching sound. The odd thing is, it seems that if I let the clutc out extra slow at the top of the travel, I dont get it. I dont know if its because of the slower acceleration of some part in there, or the clutch itself or what.

2) I put a MT fluid that was an ATF viscosity into the trans. it previously had redline MTL. The new fluid is definitely thinner, and maybe unrelated or not, I hear more noise when putting the shifter between the gates. its not gear or whine noise, its more or less a clunking noise as I change between the gates (clutch in). Is this fluid, or maybe something that I just didnt hear when the diff was whining.

3) When going on and off of throttle, especially in reverse, but also when starting in a low gear, or when changing gears, I ocasionally get a clunk. It seems to be coming from the diff, though im not sure. Is this the free space between gear teeth or something else? CV shafts have no play, and with the car in neutral and no parking break on, there is less than 1/8" of play in the driveshaft. Similar to that on my MB and on my truck.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

JMH

[ June 22, 2005, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

"snub mount"???

The subframe bushings are new, as is the diff mount. Everything seems tight, Ive tried cranking on the diff mount and attachment bolts...

Thanks,

JMH

Do you have a center carrier in that Bimmer? My 320i had a two piece driveshaft with a center carrier bearing (why for such a short driveshaft that didn't have to articulate
confused.gif
). It was giving me like sensations that I wasn't aware of until it blew on the Conneticutt turnpike on a Sunday. When I got it back (fixed under warranty) I noticed how much smoother it was on takeoff. Sometimes it's hard to determine when things are "unright" until they fail.
dunno.gif

quote:

"snub mount"???

Doesn't the BMW have a torque rod (front "engine mount")? It's usually a big rubber or urethane bushing that wears out or even cracks over time, causing excessive engine movement under load changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back