Griot's Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend had a catalog sent to me. The detailing products look good, but a little pricey. Does anyone have any experience with the products?

I agree with you, good products but a little pricey. It is a collection of unique items. I have purchased several and they are as advertised. If you can find the same item elsewhere, they are usually cheaper.

The products which seem to shine are Speed Shine (QD), and Undercarriage Spray. Their polish/protect products appear to be average (based on reviews). I was very lucky to find a sealed bottle of Speed Shine at a local garage sale for 50 cents! I haven't even tried it yet -- since I have other QDs on the shelf to use.

Expensive. But their 6" DA has a lifetime warranty. That is the only product that really stands out.

GG window cleaner is very good.
I just bought a gallon of GG window cleaner from autoanything.com.Same price but w/free shipping.

I love Griot's and have been using them for about 7 years now after trying darn near everything else. They really are not that expensive when you figure what you get. For example, the best of show wax is $19.99 but a bottle lasts a long time. The Speed Shine is awesome and their leather items are very good. I like all the products EXCEPT the glass cleaner - it sucks. I use invisible glass instead.

Everything of their's I have used was excellent, but wasn't always cost-effective. Some of their stuff is unique and some is better than other competing products, but some isn't, at least in my experience One suggestion. On a lot of items there is a definite quantity discount on a per unit basis, say from a quart to a gallon. Until you actually try the product and determine it is worth it, I would start with the smaller size.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I love Griot's and have been using them for about 7 years now after trying darn near everything else. They really are not that expensive when you figure what you get. For example, the best of show wax is $19.99 but a bottle lasts a long time. The Speed Shine is awesome and their leather items are very good. I like all the products EXCEPT the glass cleaner - it sucks. I use invisible glass instead.

+1. Like everything except the glass cleaner - windex is way better. Their waxes can be a bit hard to work with as well.

I have been using Griot's for 8 years now and have found nothing else that compares. For me it is the ease of use, depth of shine and color, cost per application, and components that work together. For example the glass cleaner and the microfiber glass cloths. Its amazing how well they work together. I use the Best of Show wax 2-3 times a year except just before winter when I use the Sealant. Each year I make one order during the "free shipping promotion" and buy only in gallons when possible.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Expensive. But their 6" DA has a lifetime warranty. That is the only product that really stands out.

Their DA is supposed to be top notch. Beyond that they are mediocre and over priced products. If you are looking for good cheap chemicals try Meguairs Detailer line. Great degreasers and soaps and their dressings are pretty good. Their window cleaner is excellent. All of their products are diluteable and you can buy bottles that have the dilution ratio right on them (very helpful for somebody who details often as they are different colors and easy to find.)

I have used many of Griot's products and they make a quality product. Their DA buffer is the most powerful DA and it has a life-time warranty. They have 15-20% sales 2-3 times a year and that is when I would buy their products. For a while they had free shipping with no minimum but recently it has been free shipping with a minimum purchase of $25. Their HD wheel cleaner is really good and a good price if purchased by the gallon. Their QD is really good as well as their waterless wash (I recently switched to Ultima Waterless Wash for all of my QD, clay lubricant, and waterless wash since it is so cost effective). Their pads are ok, I prefer the Lake Country pads. Their wax has a good shine and ok durability but I prefer Collinite 845 for its durability.
Griot's has a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee and they stand by their
products.

Last edited:
I own the DA buffer/polisher. Other then that, I was never impressed with their sealants, polishes, and waxes. I think there are plenty of OTC products that work better.
But I've used the heck outta that DA and really like it!

DA Buffer Owners:

I want a top quality buffer.

Is Griot's DA Buffer better than Porter Cable's??

Thanks!

It is more powerful than the Porter Cable and it has a much longer warranty and so it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
DA Buffer Owners:

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Capa
It is more powerful than the Porter Cable and it has a much longer warranty and so it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Guys, the Griots Garage DA is simply a porter cable with his name on it. Atleast mine is unless he changed them in the past few years. (I have a Griots DA and the case is the standard Porter Cable case w/porter cable name molded in..with his sticker placed on it)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
DA Buffer Owners:

Thanks!

I own a porter cable and love it. I have heard that Griots is a little more durable but this is what I have read from forums. Not my personal experience.

Guys, the Griots Garage DA is simply a porter cable with his name on it. Atleast mine is unless he changed them in the past few years. (I have a Griots DA and the case is the standard Porter Cable case w/porter cable name molded in..with his sticker placed on it)

The new Griot's DA is not a Porter Cable clone. It's like on version 3 now. I have heard that the first version was a clone.

The top 3 DA buffers are Meguiars, Porter Cable, and Griot's. All 3 are quality and will get the compounding, polishing, and waxing job done. They are around the same price but the Griot's is the more powerful of the 3 and is the only one with a life-time warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Capa

The new Griot's DA is not a Porter Cable clone. It's like on version 3 now. I have heard that the first version was a clone.

The top 3 DA buffers are Meguiars, Porter Cable, and Griot's. All 3 are quality and will get the compounding, polishing, and waxing job done. They are around the same price but the Griot's is the more powerful of the 3 and is the only one with a life-time warranty.

What about the flex polisher? It gets high regard in the detailing forums as well. I am a weekend detailer and use my Porter cable in a small mobile business (extra cash.) Works just fine for me. It is good at compounding/polishing and waxing but if you have severe swirls etc. a rotary is the only way to go. I dont think a rotary is necessary for the DIYer (also they can be expensive) so any of the previously mentioned DAs will work like a charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back