Green Tea ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm seeing a Naturopathic Doctor for some issues which I have posted here before...

So far the treatment is going extremely well and I feel much better than I have in a long time.

As part of the treatment she has had me "kick" my coffee habit to the curb. (IT WAS VERY HARD!)
grin2.gif

She has allowed me to replace it with Green Tea which I'm constantly drinking all day long to keep the caffeine levels to where I like them.
grin2.gif

I just wanted to poll everyone one here who drinks Green-Tea and/or who likes it.

Is imported Japanese or Chinese Green Tea the be drinking, because from all the reading I have done and the confirmation I got from my ND told me that the stuff we get in N.A. is garbage.

I have been buying a box of Green tea that lasts me 3 weeks from a source locally and it is imported Japanese Green Tea and I like the flavour but it's costly at $16/box. Just wanted to know what you guys have for comments on the subject.

Is there a place in the US/Canada where I can order authentic imported Japanese / Chinese Green Tea (Whichever is better) from that is more economical?

13.gif

Steve
grin2.gif

uhhmn no, but prolly should be cutting back or getting rid of my quart and a half a day coffee jones. I am currently on the nicotine patch and all sorts of medicines since my last physical exam. So please post any finds for green tea. I am boycotting Chinese foodstuffs in light of the recent scandals. TIA

I do, great stuff.
thumbsup2.gif
Stuff we get here is usually sourced from the Far East, but it's nowhere near as costly as $16! It's in the $7-10 range tops.

I heard that there is different grades of the teas and the top grades don't even make it to this continent, the second level is the stuff I'm buying and the stuff available at your local Starbucks/Tim-Hortons etc. is the junk of the junk and not even worth drinking.

It's a different kind of caffeine that is for sure. With coffee I would constantly need more and more to keep me running and if I had too much it would make me feel jittery and then I would always get a headache and crash energy feeling but with GT I don't at all.

The Coffee also used to make me feel bloated and gassy whereas the GT doesn't.

I'm happy I made the switch, but man it was hard getting used to it when I have grabbed coffee in the morning for so long. Even the taste was hard to get over.
grin2.gif

I like choice organic teas. What metric are you going off of to decide that one tea is better than another? I think medical studies of tea chemistry have indicated great levels of ECGC and antioxidants in fresh-brewed green tea sourced on this continent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I like choice organic teas. What metric are you going off of to decide that one tea is better than another? I think medical studies of tea chemistry have indicated great levels of ECGC and antioxidants in fresh-brewed green tea sourced on this continent.
My Naturopath and what I have read on the internet has told me the best tasting and best for you, teas are from Japan/China.
21.gif

yes I finaly get to give Steve advice!! Instead of me just relying on your advice. So yes the best green tea is grown in Japan handsdown. there are many different styles of green tea. Most people in N.A. dig the sencha style. Its light, refreshing, and has a somewhat grassy flavor. I prefer Matcha, which is a ground product that is made from the highest quality tea. The PP of green tea if you will that gives you the most bang for your buck is actually at costco. Its a sencha matcha blend that comes in a big box and has tea bags made of nylon. Its all Japanese green tea but it is slightly lower quality than the top shelf stuff but for everyday drinking its very good, and the small amount of Matcha it has in it gives you more antioxidents and amino acids. Normal Twinnings Sencha isent bad either and can be found at any grocery store. I buy my Matcha from Teavana because we have a store here. The Matcha I buy is grown in a private farm in Japan that up until a few years ago was reserved only for the Emperor and his family. Not worth the price really but I'm kind of a nut.

Matcha might be too bitter for him. There are others. Bancha is typical Japanese restaurant tea, and is good. Kukicha is made from stems and leaves, and is a favorite of mine. There's always genmaicha, which is usually sencha mixed with toasted brown rice grains.
Nothing wrong with Chinese tea either, Dragon Well is excellent.
Be sure you don't use water that is actually boiling hot.

Why the need for so much caffeine, StevieC? Maybe that's a factor in your health issues?

I don't drink the "high grade" stuff I guess, but I like Arizona green tea. Regular Lipton green tea is okay, but any of the Lipton Brisk flavored green teas are disgusting. The peach flavored one is like swallowing a can of peach flavored Skoal...not good.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Matcha might be too bitter for him. There are others. Bancha is typical Japanese restaurant tea, and is good. Kukicha is made from stems and leaves, and is a favorite of mine. There's always genmaicha, which is usually sencha mixed with toasted brown rice grains.

Why the need for so much caffeine, StevieC? Maybe that's a factor in your health issues?

Good point with the water Mark. Many people dont know that and it ruins green tea. I use a probe thremomiter and pit it right in the little whistle hole of my tea kettle, works perfect.

I don't get how going from caffeine in coffee to caffeine in tea is different. Also, what are your "issues" and while we are at it what is naturopathic doctor.

no I dont like it but thats compleatly different. No prepackaged tea is very good IMO. I kind of like the iced tea they have at panda express though made by china mist. They also make the hot tea at PF Changs.

I usually drink a lot of tea from Mc'D's and Jack in the Box. What kind is that? Once in a while, the one from Mcd's will taste like someone brewed a cigarette with the tea bag.

My favorite is TenRen in bag form. The only problem is the availability. It is only sold in Chinese restaurants here in KC. It is mountain grown in Taiwan. Smooth and tasty. I like mine iced. About 2 years ago Lipton changed their unflavored green tea bags and it is at least tolerable now. It used to taste and smell like lawn mower clippings before the change. Also the price went up 30% when it changed.

Originally Posted By: ryland
yes I finaly get to give Steve advice!! Instead of me just relying on your advice. So yes the best green tea is grown in Japan handsdown. there are many different styles of green tea. Most people in N.A. dig the sencha style. Its light, refreshing, and has a somewhat grassy flavor. I prefer Matcha, which is a ground product that is made from the highest quality tea. The PP of green tea if you will that gives you the most bang for your buck is actually at costco. Its a sencha matcha blend that comes in a big box and has tea bags made of nylon. Its all Japanese green tea but it is slightly lower quality than the top shelf stuff but for everyday drinking its very good, and the small amount of Matcha it has in it gives you more antioxidents and amino acids. Normal Twinnings Sencha isent bad either and can be found at any grocery store. I buy my Matcha from Teavana because we have a store here. The Matcha I buy is grown in a private farm in Japan that up until a few years ago was reserved only for the Emperor and his family. Not worth the price really but I'm kind of a nut.

Yes you finally do! I'm happy that others here are fans and know where to get the good stuff, I will be checking into this at Costco. Thanks for that!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MarkC

I really like bitter teas and so it most likely wouldn't bother me at all.

The caffeine kick from GT is nowhere near as strong as my coffee I was drinking, and it doesn't leave me hanging for more and crashing later in the day for energy.

I need the caffeine because I run on very little sleep during the week because my job is very demanding and it can be quite a few hours. My caffeine use is relative to how busy my week is.

On the weeks where it's light work load I might have a cup a day, versus the 8-9 cups on the heavy weeks.

I also find that coffee upsets my stomach and digestion whereas the Green Tea seems to do the opposite and helps me digest.

I have generalized morning anxiety, severe debilitating migrains that leave me with vision loss, impaired speech and numbness down one side (Hemipelegic migraines). It's hereditary and I have eliminated all things from my diet for a long period of time to ensure they weren't triggers or making it worse. This included caffeine and it didn't at all, actually a little caffeine helped to prevent and sometimes abort an attack.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
I don't get how going from caffeine in coffee to caffeine in tea is different. Also, what are your "issues" and while we are at it what is naturopathic doctor.

I answered your questions in my reply above this one, but to answer your question about a Naturopathic doctor. This is a licensed doctor that tries to treat illness using natural techniques like diet, exercise, lifestyle changes, natural supplements (prescription strength and by prescription only). It can also include acupuncture.

I'm finding it a lot more helpful than my MD who wants me to pop a pill for everything.
smirk2.gif

give white tea a try as well .White and green tea are good for bone strength , immune system , and help reduce chance of stroke by preventing buildup of arterial plaque . The better 1/2 just had a mini - stroke and got her to drink green / white tea 2 > 3 times a day . She's not crazy for the taste , but it's in her best interest . We usually buy SALADA or LIPTON . Sometimes other more expensive brands . You could go to a health food store for better teas or look in organic food section of grocery store . I prefer white tea , has more flavor . Here's sippin' tea to your health
12.gif
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back