Green hue to old Valvoline 20w50: normal or abnormal?

Using up some old stock, I have three Valvoline 20w50. I poured each, one at a time, into a clear jug for inspection. All had a identical green hue to them, and I'm not sure if that's the formula of if they have gone bad, so I noted that and set them aside for further inspection. I can snap some pictures of the bottle and the oil tomorrow in the daylight but just curious if anyone is immediately familiar with this as maybe an older heavy oil weight Valvoline formula? These were likely garage sale purchases at least a decade ago, oil is probably 10-20 years old. I recall it was conventional. Like I said, pics if needed but just posting this while I'm remembering it. Thanks.

Color is not an indicator of the effectiveness of motor oil. I wouldn't worry about it.

Valvoline makes some good stuff, that might have come from an era when they were using Pennsylvania Crude at the Freedom refinery. I used to use some of that long ago and remember it being greenish in color.

I remember older oils as having a greenish-hue. They were Pennsylvania Crude based.

Update. Pictures to follow when I get time and remember. I glanced at my really old stock.

The 3 qts of Valvoline 20w50 is API SJ. This is the green hue colored oil. I also have 3 qts of BMW 20w50 that is API SG. I inspected this and it's a golden honey color. Anyone know approx the age of this stuff?

Edit: The SG is 1993 to 1996. The SJ is 1997-2001. Wow this is some old oil.

Some oils are or were dyed. However oils using a significant brightstock content or certain other base oils with a high aromatic content can give off a chemiluminescent hue which, when combined with the amber colour of the oil appears greenish. If you have a UV torch shine it on the oil and see if it intensifies.

Refined Paraffinic oil does not go bad - it is an extremely stable molecule for storage at ambient temp from freezing to hot,
Valvoline Racing is dyed blue. I recall most oils having a amber greenish hue - but that was from 40-50 years ago.
The highly reactive and flammable pure sodium metal is stored in a jar under paraffin mineral oil or kero.

Refined Paraffinic oil does not go bad - it is an extremely stable molecule for storage at ambient temp from freezing to hot,
Valvoline Racing is dyed blue. I recall most oils having a amber greenish hue - but that was from 40-50 years ago.
The highly reactive and flammable pure sodium metal is stored in a jar under paraffin mineral oil or kero.

And when you take the lid off of that jar and drop it off a bridge into a river…stand back.

Using up some old stock, I have three Valvoline 20w50. I poured each, one at a time, into a clear jug for inspection. All had a identical green hue to them, and I'm not sure if that's the formula of if they have gone bad, so I noted that and set them aside for further inspection. I can snap some pictures of the bottle and the oil tomorrow in the daylight but just curious if anyone is immediately familiar with this as maybe an older heavy oil weight Valvoline formula? These were likely garage sale purchases at least a decade ago, oil is probably 10-20 years old. I recall it was conventional. Like I said, pics if needed but just posting this while I'm remembering it. Thanks.
My vote is the use of bright stock like others have posted. Pretty common with pqs & Kendall in the 70's

Ergon base oils and bright stocks still have a slight green tint to them at times. Even their fuel has a slight green tint to it.

Ergon’s base oil facility in Newell WV, was originally a Quaker state base oil refinery and production facility.

RDS industrial products are still blended next door to it at the Congo blend plant. RDS motor oil blending has moved over the mountain to Gordon Terminal Systems, on McKees Rocks.

ARG, in Bradford PA, also has a slight green tint to it. Specifically their 800cst “not a bright stock” base oil.

Back