Green and Gold ok to mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MN Driver:
Bighead, have you experienced any drop in your oil level?

Nope. Well, this is only my second oil change I've done myself, the first 2 were done by the dealer. But I can tell you that after 5K I didn't lose a drop...
wink.gif

I think it would be fine to mix them.

One of these days, I'm going to put 4 different quarts of oil in the Festiva and do a UOA on it. I'm thinking Supertech, Pennzoil, Castrol, and Quaker State.

quote:

Originally posted by MN Driver:
I would have no problem with mixing it with the gold. The car won't care, so it shouldn't matter on a psychological basis to anyone. I think the gold will be fine.

...I gave the yay... I would do that if it was my car and I was in the same situation, it sure won't cause problems, we know from experience that mixing even lubricants with different brands and synth and dino mix okay according to UOA's, so being both extremely similar, Gold and Green won't care if they are together, your car won't either.

The gold is most likely the closest thing to the green, closer than M1.

Guess your engine is different. My 3800 Series II V-6 will consume up to 1/2 qt. in 5K and I'm anal about keeping it topped off. So, I count on having 5qt. per oci. Guess the 3.4L is different. It would be nice if I could make a high speed run to Atlanta and back in Summer and have no consumption at all.
grin.gif

I'm not too sure about 'em green motor oils. I used a motor oil a long time ago that was yellow. I forget the name of it. Anywho it was really slippery and I got twice the gas mileage that it usually got. Unfortunately, the company went out of business as the oil was made from ground bananna peels so the FDA shut them down!

Well, I don't know if this is going to get me banned from the "GC" forum but I mixed some green and amber GC today.

Drained the GC from the Jeep 4.0 and sent a UOA sample to Blackstone. With the oversized filter my sump is 7 quarts. I put in my last quart of green GC and added 6 quarts of amber GC. We will see how the straight green UOA compares to this brew.

I was VERY tempted to pick up some Syntec 5w40 Belgum made oil but I resisted........
gr_eek2.gif

BTW my oil rang up on sale at $4.39 a quart, it is normally $4.99 at AutoZone here. Suprised the **** out of guy behind the counter. Maybe I will go get that 5w40!

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:
Well, I don't know if this is going to get me banned from the "GC" forum but I mixed some green and amber GC today.

Drained the GC from the Jeep 4.0 and sent a UOA sample to Blackstone. With the oversized filter my sump is 7 quarts. I put in my last quart of green GC and added 6 quarts of amber GC. We will see how the straight green UOA compares to this brew.

I was VERY tempted to pick up some Syntec 5w40 Belgum made oil but I resisted........
gr_eek2.gif

BTW my oil rang up on sale at $4.39 a quart, it is normally $4.99 at AutoZone here. Suprised the **** out of guy behind the counter. Maybe I will go get that 5w40!

There is NO REASON you should be "banned from the 'GC' forum" for mixing the two...and as the Elfemeister I do believe I am authorized to make that assertion.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LSVTEC 91 Civic:
I mixed GC and Amsoil... does it REALLY matter?

Ouch!!!! The Elves cringed at that one but since they admire people who serve their country...no foul.
patriot.gif

PS They really don't have anything against Amsoil, but they do wish it had been founded by Al Ludwigshoffen instead of Al Amatuzio
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:

quote:

Originally posted by LSVTEC 91 Civic:
I mixed GC and Amsoil... does it REALLY matter?

It's much better to mix GC and Mobil 1 0W40
wink.gif
burnout.gif

Ouch...ouch...ouch...ouch...ouch...Vader, you DID go to the dark side didn't you? Or should I call you Anakin...that is your birth name isn't it..........h-m-m-m-m-m?
shocked.gif

PS I gave everyone within teleporting distance of the Springs their shot at the 05 Green at the 8th St Autozone...I just might have to visit there tomorrow......................

The Elves don't approve of waste SO if you put it into 0W-40 you ALREADY bought...is OK.

Now about the Luke part...the Elves and I believe that, given your screen name, you have already passed the midway point!
nono.gif

Heavily, your point of view, it depends on, as to the side I follow. Muhuhaha!!!

It seems there are so many GC users in Houston that I was never able to find GC, until it turned gold. While fear and confusion cloud their minds, my power, err, stock, will grow. When I had to replace the oil cooler adapter O-Ring, and found GC, I topped off my engine with it. I bought all they had, so next oil change, the elves' latest will be going in.

Well, my car likes GC, and it runs smooth and the cold starts are so quiet
grin.gif
. I was nervous at first, because of all the talk of "gas mileage taking a nosedive" and "feels like towing a trailer", but so far I see zero mileage decrease, so I'm happy
fruit.gif
. But, that 3400 is pretty weak for a V6, so I can't say if it's sluggish or not.
dunno.gif

SO, with that said, if I can't find anymore Green, then I'll just take a deep breath, and use the Gold for that last OCI. I had toyed with the thought of using some regular 5w-30 Syntec, but for the same price, why would I buy the GRP III stuff?
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back