Great low carb bread alternative recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone on a Keto diet or low carb for blood sugar control this bread recipe is amazing.
Also great if you want to avoid traditional flour type breads.

It tastes just like whole wheat bread and it's super moist. We use it to make dinner rolls and burger buns.
(Just keep uneaten buns in a Zip Lock bag to keep them moist or they will go hard. Take them out 1 hour before you want to eat them to firm them back up.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

Ingredients
1¼ cups almond flour
5 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 cup boiling water
3 egg whites
2 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)

We like to add some minced garlic to the bread recipe and sometimes Trader Joes - Everything but the bagel sesame sprinkle to it.

Instructions
-Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

-Bring the water to a boil and add it, the vinegar and egg whites to the bowl, while beating with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don't over mix the dough, the consistency should resemble Play-Doh.

-Moisten hands and make 6 pieces of the dough. Place on a greased baking sheet.

-Bake on lower rack in the oven for 50-60 minutes, depending on the size of your bread. They're done when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom of the bun.

-Serve with butter and toppings of your choice.

Nutritional Info
1 bun is 1 serving

Net carbs: 4 % (2 g)
Fiber: 6 g
Fat: 79 % (13 g) (Good fats)
Protein: 17 % (7 g)
kcal: 170

Last edited:
Lovely looking. Do note the psyllium husk expands to several times its volume when ingested - so it makes you poop, a lot. You eat that, be near a toilet in the next hour or two. Even earlier if you add garlic
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SureshR
Lovely looking. Do note the psyllium husk expands to several times its volume when ingested - so it makes you poop, a lot. You eat that, be near a toilet in the next hour or two. Even earlier if you add garlic
smile.gif

We haven't had this issue so perhaps it's the combination of ingredients prepared in this way that makes it OK? The 5 of us in our family are using the recipe as we are all on modified diets. 3 of us doing Keto.

We have been making an almond bread with a very similar recipe for a couple of months now and love it. It is a bit more dense than traditional bread but great toasted and slathered with butter or cream cheese. Having been on a low carb diet for 16 years this was a welcome addition. Next loaf we are going to add some cinnamon.

Originally Posted by Tom NJ
We have been making an almond bread with a very similar recipe for a couple of months now and love it. It is a bit more dense than traditional bread but great toasted and slathered with butter or cream cheese. Having been on a low carb diet for 16 years this was a welcome addition. Next loaf we are going to add some cinnamon.

I'm Italian background and bread is like a food group to us.
grin2.gif
So going on a low carb diet had me wanting my bread from time to time.
Although I eat far less "bread" now it's nice to have this type of recipe to have for things like burgers etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow
Sounds interesting.

House full of celiacs...although lectins are an issue as well.

I'd be interested to know if this upsets anyone with Celiac if they try this, I didn't know lectins also cause an issue I though it was just gluten.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Shannow
Sounds interesting.

House full of celiacs...although lectins are an issue as well.

I'd be interested to know if this upsets anyone with Celiac if they try this, I didn't know lectins also cause an issue I though it was just gluten.

Our daughter self diagnosed a gluten thing...then we got her tested, and she's full blown celiac...So bad that if someone makes her a GF sandwich on the same board that a regular sandwich has been made on she reacts...so no gluten free subway, they just don't have the hygiene. When in the big smoke, there's a place that does GF Gozleme, and he cleans the bench AND the grill...all for an $11 order...so we get 4 r 5 to reward his effort.

She still gets upset, and we've been working the lectin angle. (Dr Gundry has some good advice).

Dairy gives her about the same reaction as gluten, as does cashews and peanuts.

Nightshades are a mixed back...if we peel and deseed tomatoes, she's fine. Pressure cooked tomatoes (pasta sauce), she's fine. Potatoes are a real no go.

legumes (canned) seem OK, but we are exploring.

Quite possible. If you mix psyllium husk in cold water and drink it immediately - it expands in your gut. A very effective and natural laxative. Not sure what the effect is when it gets baked.

Originally Posted by StevieC
smile.gif

We haven't had this issue so perhaps it's the combination of ingredients prepared in this way that makes it OK? The 5 of us in our family are using the recipe as we are all on modified diets. 3 of us doing Keto.

smile.gif

Just what I needed to read at breakfast time.

I have made those... We like them. We follow her and her husband. Great channel for low-carb alternatives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back