Great few days on BITOG

I’m not a regular, posted here before but got really active over the past few days because a few things came up. In just a few days on BITOG, I did the following:

(1) Found out Mobil makes a nice synthetic 15w50 that will work well in my 65 GTO.
(2) Found out that Michelin makes a couple of nice studless snow tires that will likely hold up longer than the Blizzaks on both my truck and my wife’s car that are on their last season.
(3) Learned about something called a “fluid extractor” that I can use to make servicing diffs and transmissions a lot easier, instead of having to drop the pan or cover.
(4) Figured out after all these years that my GTO probably doesn’t have a blowby issue, but actually only uses oil since it is a manual and I do a TON of engine braking. Learned this in a thread about a Subaru no less!

Very knowledgable group here, thanks.

65 GOAT? OMG...
I have a 65 4-4-2.
PXL_20201209_002954168.jpg

Be careful with the extractors. Sometimes some vehicles don't go all the way down to the bottom of the pan so when a pan drop would give 6qts as a result, an extractor could only take out 1-2 qts, hypothetically. Or the tube twists/turns and the tubing can't make it down.

Very nice 65 GTO.
My dad bought a new 65 GTO, 389, 3 deuces, 4 speed. He sold that and bought and restored a 67 convertible GTO, 400, 4 barrel, 4 speed, and factory a/c.
The 65 thru 67 Goats were some of the most beautiful cars ever built. And those Pontiac engines were long runners. And freakin' torque monsters!
I am not such a fan of the 68 up A bodies as I am the earlier cars. Well, maybe a 68 Chevelle with the small tail lights...

Yeah I love all the old stuff, 442s, Buicks, tri-Chevies, and especially the old K10 and K20 trucks.

Funny about Supertech, that’s what I do for our daily drivers. Just follow the manual and use the cheapest approved oil and filter. So far so good. My other rides include two flat tappet engines (4.0 Jeep and 396 Chevy) plus a hydraulic roller Pontiac in the GTO and I spend way more time thinking about what oil to use in those.

So basically we drive 30k miles per year on Supertech and cheap Fram or Delco filters and then I might put another 3k total on much better oil/filters in the TJ (4.0), K10 (396), and GTO (505). Bass ackwards, right?

Also what really brought me back was the TJ. Was reading on here about oils for 4.0 Jeeps and stumbled across a thread where a guy had been running 20w50 in his 4.0 Jeep engine for 500k miles. The best part was all of the members telling him to switch to a different oil. I mean, the dude made it a half a million miles on 20w50 ...

Last week, I learned the following:
There are hundreds of threads on this site with people being anal and overpaying for stuff, but then most then tell you to "just throw in SuperTech and forget about it". This is on a site where the #1 topic is motor oil. LOL. The irony.
Well yeah … I would always want you to go longer on cheaper oil if you go first … then declare you a great leader and follow that lead !!! 😷

my impression is that the cheaper oils are fine for people that follow the manual and don’t push their vehicles hard. people that want to run a longer OCI, do a lot of towing or hard driving, those are the ones that really benefit from the better oil and filters.

i could be wrong, but i haven’t blown an engine up yet so i got that goin’ for me!

I have learned-
Crown Vics are the greatest vehicles ever produced
Like wise with Michelins being the best tires ever made
With SuperTech (Warren) oil at Walmart/Costco why buy anything else
CVTs are likely to break down as soon as you drive it off the lot
Hyundais/Kias are junk
Any vehicle made in the last ten years isn't worthy enough of ownership
Any SUV/truck under $5,000.00 is a "score".
Mazda is the greatest manufacturer of vehicles-despite of having an extremely small market share
Electric cars/cuvs/suvs are a pipe dream and WILL NEVER be mainstream

Don't retire you will die

Just a few "words of wisdom" from the guys on here.........

I have learned-
Hyundais/Kias are junk
Mazda is the greatest manufacturer of vehicles-despite of having an extremely small market share

we have a subaru CVT at 70k with no issues. michelins have a great rep, my father and brother both run them. supertech is fine by me although if we got a travel trailer i’d probably run more of a premium oil. no idea about hyundais or kias and the only time i’ve ever been in a crown vic i was in the back seat wearing handcuffs 🤣

Last edited:
I have learned-
Hyundais/Kias are junk

2022 EV Model 😷

86B2967F-58B6-48F8-BE0B-30F947944E18.jpeg

I’m not a regular, posted here before but got really active over the past few days because a few things came up. In just a few days on BITOG, I did the following:

(1) Found out Mobil makes a nice synthetic 15w50 that will work well in my 65 GTO.
(2) Found out that Michelin makes a couple of nice studless snow tires that will likely hold up longer than the Blizzaks on both my truck and my wife’s car that are on their last season.
(3) Learned about something called a “fluid extractor” that I can use to make servicing diffs and transmissions a lot easier, instead of having to drop the pan or cover.
(4) Figured out after all these years that my GTO probably doesn’t have a blowby issue, but actually only uses oil since it is a manual and I do a TON of engine braking. Learned this in a thread about a Subaru no less!

Very knowledgable group here, thanks.

Lots of knowledge, some opinions as fact, some overthinking of simple things. But if it helps ya sleep at night, I suppose it's ok! It's the Internet!

I have learned-
Hyundais/Kias are junk

I don't see that at all as a predominate line of thinking of most members, other than the CVT.

There are people in those camps but i don't think you can stereotype the site as a whole with these statements.

Almost sounds like you don't like this website/forum?

Back