Great diagnostic videos... but...

I'll start by saying I love this guy's videos, I've learned a lot and definitely respect his attention to detail.

This is by no means meant to disrespect the diagnostic process, however this video caught my eye:

Volvo Blower Diag

He, of course, followed all the proper steps, but I couldn't help but think to myself as a technician how I could have skipped 90% of his steps. Any newer HVAC system looks for a load on the blower side to ensure operation, but he doesn't substitute a load until 3/4 of the way through the video.

I just came across one of these the other day, and for those that don't know: on newer Volvo's the blower motor connector can't be accessed without removing the instrument cluster, and the motor itself can't be replaced without special tools and taking apart half of the dashboard. It's not a diagnosis you want to be wrong about. I replicated the test in the video in 15 minutes by jumping right to removing the cluster and testing at the blower connection itself with a 9005 bulb acting as a load, after clearing the codes. The bulb varied in intensity according to the speed selected, proving that the control head and speed controller were both functioning.

Main point: just remember that diagnostic steps can be both a blessing and a curse. Time is money, after all!

Grasshopper... You still got a lot to learn...
LOL. I know but diagnostic is so boring. At least on OBD2 where you have to use a computer on OBD1 it’s good because I can check for fuel air or spark and go from there if it’s engine related lol.

I'll start by saying I love this guy's videos, I've learned a lot and definitely respect his attention to detail.

This is by no means meant to disrespect the diagnostic process, however this video caught my eye:

Volvo Blower Diag

He, of course, followed all the proper steps, but I couldn't help but think to myself as a technician how I could have skipped 90% of his steps. Any newer HVAC system looks for a load on the blower side to ensure operation, but he doesn't substitute a load until 3/4 of the way through the video.

I just came across one of these the other day, and for those that don't know: on newer Volvo's the blower motor connector can't be accessed without removing the instrument cluster, and the motor itself can't be replaced without special tools and taking apart half of the dashboard. It's not a diagnosis you want to be wrong about. I replicated the test in the video in 15 minutes by jumping right to removing the cluster and testing at the blower connection itself with a 9005 bulb acting as a load, after clearing the codes. The bulb varied in intensity according to the speed selected, proving that the control head and speed controller were both functioning.

Main point: just remember that diagnostic steps can be both a blessing and a curse. Time is money, after all!

I tend to go for the easy to check stuff first, but if that doesn't reveal the cause it's time to become methodical. If someone isn't aware of how the system is build, the easy to check stuff ends with checking the fuses. If he can find those....

Volvo Blower Diag

A good tech follows the same steps every time.
Wasted time or not, you do it the same every time and you will have good results.
You may think you know what it is, but until you do the proper diagnostic process, you won't know for sure.
Jumping ahead can cause you to miss things and end up having to go back and try to figure out where you screwed up, causing you to spend more time and possibly replacing something that did not need to be replaced.

If you are working on your own vehicle, you can get away with these type of things, but if you are doing it as a profession, doing things properly every time will make you more money in the long run.

LOL. I know but diagnostic is so boring. At least on OBD2 where you have to use a computer on OBD1 it’s good because I can check for fuel air or spark and go from there if it’s engine related lol.
Since you work at a Toyota Dealership. Getting the ASE Certifications will give you better status and pay wise. They need more Techs that can diagnose, not just do brake jobs.

Learn little by little and you will learn to enjoy it. Take it or leave it.

I'm the complete opposite. I'd still be a tech if I could just determine what is wrong with a vehicle and then let someone else tear in and do the repair. I enjoyed the chase of finding a problem, especially when it had been to multiple other shops beforehand. I just don't have the desire to drop engines and trans, tear into differentials, etc.

Since you work at a Toyota Dealership. Getting the ASE Certifications will give you better status and pay wise. They need more Techs that can diagnose, not just do brake jobs.

Learn little by little and you will learn to enjoy it. Take it or leave it.
Yeah unfortunately I’m unemployed now. I didn’t get fired but was told to voluntarily leave so was everyone I worked with because we had a customer complaint that got us all in trouble. It has to do with the pinned post at the top of each thread that’s the reason. I do car repair jobs for people still while trying to find another job. I’ve talked to several places nobody is hiring granted I’m a state inspector and have I think 6 ASE certifications now. I am always happy to learn new things I just wish we had a master tech who diagnosed everything and gave it to us to fix lol but usually I was ok at diagnosing as long as it wasn’t electrical related I still need some practice on that. Some people on here have told me I misdiagnosed problems but I haven’t found that to be true though it could of been. On my last few weeks of work I was doing engine work, suspension I even put a engine in a car. I’m good at repairs just the diagnostic needs some work.

I'm the complete opposite. I'd still be a tech if I could just determine what is wrong with a vehicle and then let someone else tear in and do the repair. I enjoyed the chase of finding a problem, especially when it had been to multiple other shops beforehand. I just don't have the desire to drop engines and trans, tear into differentials, etc.
Lol 😂 hey we are all different in ways I personally want to be the guy that’s tearing into it to fix it.

Yeah unfortunately I’m unemployed now. I didn’t get fired but was told to voluntarily leave so was everyone I worked with because we had a customer complaint that got us all in trouble. It has to do with the pinned post at the top of each thread that’s the reason. I do car repair jobs for people still while trying to find another job. I’ve talked to several places nobody is hiring granted I’m a state inspector and have I think 6 ASE certifications now. I am always happy to learn new things I just wish we had a master tech who diagnosed everything and gave it to us to fix lol but usually I was ok at diagnosing as long as it wasn’t electrical related I still need some practice on that. Some people on here have told me I misdiagnosed problems but I haven’t found that to be true though it could of been. On my last few weeks of work I was doing engine work, suspension I even put a engine in a car. I’m good at repairs just the diagnostic needs some work.
Thats good. Shouldnt be hard for you to find a job.

Yeah hopefully not. I tried applying at some chain shops but they told me they were not hiring so still looking.
It's amazing to me that you're having difficulty finding employment as a qualified tech. Dealerships in my area will hire a tech on the spot and worry about the need later.

We are currently short 2-3 lube techs.

@14Accent

A proper mechanic is supposed to follow the procedures for figuring out issues. Jumping to conclusions in the repair environment often times leads to a misdiagnosis and failure to fix the problem. Rampant in our world today are “parts changers” who do nothing more than swap parts without any diagnosis at all. Most dealership technicians are parts changers and do nothing more. The same with the big chain repair shops, if you have a complicated issue good luck getting it repaired by any of the big chain shops. Their business model relies on fast, in and out repairs.

Fordtechmakuloco just had a really great video on a 2008 F150 with an inoperable cruise control and he would have NEVER figured it out without following proper diagnosis. Also, South Main Auto, Pine Hollow Diagnostics, and even Scotty Kilmer (to a much lesser extent), are good about showing us proper diagnostics. The whole reason for their YouTube channels is to teach others so of course they are going to show all the diagnostics.

Last edited:

Good diagnostic skills are a must even for the old stuff, I am still learning all the time because every year something new and different comes along and presents different problem symptoms.
Back in 1983 I got a 1983 Z28 on my work order to remove the cylinder head for low compression, this had the cross fire dual TBI setup and had been diagnosed the day before by another dealer mechanic as having a burned valve.

To make a long story short I thought it had a sticking valve, the car was owned by a GI and left for a few months while he was deployed.
I used the vacuum gauge and pulled the valve cover and looked at the valves with a timing light, sure enough a valve was sticking.
After putting it back together I ran a can of GM TEC down the throttle bodies and let it sit for an hour, it ran like new, that was the problem and the TEC lubed the valve stem.

Looking at it closer I found the root cause, when it rained water got past the hood scoop and right down the TBI, I made a rubber seal and affixed it with weather seal adhesive and sprayed it with a hose, nothing it was dry, that was the end of that issue once and for all. 6 mo later GM came out with a TSB for this and the seal was almost identical to the one I made.

Develop your diagnostic skills as much as you possibly can, any monkey can replace parts but being able to diagnose the issue first is what sets you apart and pays the $$. Always ask yourself why this failed and if there is something that can done to avoid a repeat

Good diagnostic skills are a must even for the old stuff, I am still learning all the time because every year something new and different comes along and presents different problem symptoms.
Back in 1983 I got a 1983 Z28 on my work order to remove the cylinder head for low compression, this had the cross fire dual TBI setup and had been diagnosed the day before by another dealer mechanic as having a burned valve.

To make a long story short I thought it had a sticking valve, the car was owned by a GI and left for a few months while he was deployed.
I used the vacuum gauge and pulled the valve cover and looked at the valves with a timing light, sure enough a valve was sticking.
After putting it back together I ran a can of GM TEC down the throttle bodies and let it sit for an hour, it ran like new, that was the problem and the TEC lubed the valve stem.

Looking at it closer I found the root cause, when it rained water got past the hood scoop and right down the TBI, I made a rubber seal and affixed it with weather seal adhesive and sprayed it with a hose, nothing it was dry, that was the end of that issue once and for all. 6 mo later GM came out with a TSB for this and the seal was almost identical to the one I made.

Develop your diagnostic skills as much as you possibly can, any monkey can replace parts but being able to diagnose the issue first is what sets you apart and pays the $$. Always ask yourself why this failed and if there is something that can done to avoid a repeat
That’s great. I appreciate the advice Trav. I’ve always been told don’t ever fire the parts cannon on anything and waste money.

It's amazing to me that you're having difficulty finding employment as a qualified tech. Dealerships in my area will hire a tech on the spot and worry about the need later.

We are currently short 2-3 lube techs.
Yeah it surprised me too. I tried at some of the chain shops they said they aren’t hiring. Tried dealerships no luck they all said they are full. I’ve been kinda doing my own work and stuff helping out a road service mechanic and stuff. Also been helping the local Aircooled Volkswagen mechanic to learn more on those too so I can finish up restoring and getting mine running.

What was the diagnosis? I bailed after 5 minutes but why didn't he just put power and ground to the fan motor at the blower module?

Yeah it surprised me too. I tried at some of the chain shops they said they aren’t hiring. Tried dealerships no luck they all said they are full. I’ve been kinda doing my own work and stuff helping out a road service mechanic and stuff. Also been helping the local Aircooled Volkswagen mechanic to learn more on those too so I can finish up restoring and getting mine running.
Well, best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll land a decent gig soon. I don't know your education or back ground but I know several guys who work on trailers and fuel trucks at the local WalMart distribution center. They make very good money, so it might be worth looking into WalMart, Schwans, FedEx, etc if you have any medium truck background.

Fleet maintenance is where I'd be if I had a do over on my career path. I tried my hardest as a younger man to get on at the local highway patrol headquarters for vehicle maintenance. I recently had an opportunity to work for the county in vehicle and building maintenance but did not take it due to a scheduling conflict with my wife's job.

Back