Greasing the brake pad pins?

Should have specified “some” Toyota and Lexus. All I know is all I know. :giggle:

I don’t know what pins you are referring to I only know of slide pins. I haven’t ever seen that design at the dealership but I also don’t do a whole lot of brakes and also it’s rare to have something old come in.

A picture of them is posted earlier.

those long metal pins that go through both pads.

I don’t know what pins you are referring to I only know of slide pins. I haven’t ever seen that design at the dealership but I also don’t do a whole lot of brakes and also it’s rare to have something old come in.
Slide pins are used in sliding calipers. The pins in the photo above (and in my Tundra and GS) are keeper pins to hold the brake pads in for fixed calipers. Fixed calipers have pistons on both side of the rotor; the caliper does not move.

Slide pins are used in sliding calipers. The pins in the photo above (and in my Tundra and GS) are keeper pins to hold the brake pads in for fixed calipers. Fixed calipers have pistons on both side of the rotor; the caliper does not move.
Oh ok I looked at the picture I may have seen it before just not very common I guess. Now that I remember we had to do these in high school automotive class and we struggled getting those pins out so I am glad I haven’t ever had to do those since then.

Why wouldn’t manufacturers just go to all floating calipers? I’ve only recently started getting into doing my own brake jobs on my 17 Accord and my wife’s 15 Altima so I am not that familiar with the different kinds of brakes out there

Older designs that are maintained because "if is not broken, don't fix it"? For example I have seen that design in a Renault car from 1970-1980.
Also some racing applications don't have enough room on one side for all the required calipers (high pressure pads) and they go on both sides.
Floating calipers are lighter and reduce the unsprung mass, better for suspension. Also if the slide pins are lubricated, the wear on both side pads is equal.

www.whyhighend.com/floating-vs-fixed-calipers.html

Back