Grease suggestion for Jeep and tractor

I've read the grease compatibility chart that's pinned to the top of this forum, but I still haven't been able to solve an issue I'm having. I've got a Jeep and lawn tractor, and both need grease, and both greases seem to be compatible, but I'd love a second opinion. The grease for the tractor is John Deere Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex grease, and the grease for the Jeep is Mopar Multi-Purpose grease. I believe both are NLGI Grade 2 EP, GC-LB, but only the John Deere grease specifies that it's a Lithium Complex, and I can't find what kind of grease the Mopar variant is. Any ideas? I'd prefer to use a single grease for both for ease, but if there's not such a grease, I'll just buy a second grease gun.

I think you are going overboard with this. Load your grease gun with what is specified for your Jeep and use it on your John Deer. I have been using whatever multi purpose grease I could get on all my lawn and farm tractors for 30 years and never had anything wear out.One grease, one grease gun and no lost sleep.

I think you are going overboard with this. Load your grease gun with what is specified for your Jeep and use it on your John Deer. I have been using whatever multi purpose grease I could get on all my lawn and farm tractors for 30 years and never had anything wear out.One grease, one grease gun and no lost sleep.
pump to purge and you will be fine
Going overboard and overthinking are my modus operandi, haha. Thank you both, I'll do just that.

Ha-HA...I'm going through the "same thing" right now.

The slip yoke on my Ranger's driveshaft needs to be lubed. Ford sells a teflon product but I do have some new-fangled Motal red grease from Germany.

Man, I just want to clean the yoke's splines and regrease it with the red stuff but not if I'll have to do it again right away.

Ha-HA...I'm going through the "same thing" right now.

The slip yoke on my Ranger's driveshaft needs to be lubed. Ford sells a teflon product but I do have some new-fangled Motal red grease from Germany.

Man, I just want to clean the yoke's splines and regrease it with the red stuff but not if I'll have to do it again right away.
Don't mean to change the subject. I amagine there's a reason but I have been lubing the yoke splines on my 87 f150 from day one with wheel bearing grease from the grease gun. It hasn't self destructed or vibrated yet......

I don't want to "thread-highjack" either but the spline example is germane to the topic and directly illustrative.

By the way, how often do you need to regrease it?

Going overboard and overthinking are my modus operandi, haha. Thank you both, I'll do just that.

Didn't read the forum rules? OCD is a requirement for joining here.

Looking at the MOPAR lubricants manual, I see two main greases, your multipurpose product and a high temperature wheel bearing grease. Just going on generalities, if MOPAR is following the common practice, the multipurpose product might be a lithium 12 hydroxystearate grease and the high temp. is probably a lithium complex grease. Guessing of course.

If choosing between the two products, I would do opposite of what Lubener recommends. Use the JD lithium complex grease for both applications. It covers all the bases - high temp. and EP. It is also a very compatible grease.

I've been using the JD product on my workplace tractor fleet (and everything else) for decades. Before that I used the Valvolene made NAPA product: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NO_75600 . The Mystic JT6 high temp grease is on my radar also: https://www.mystiklubes.com/Product.do?code=665005002&category=GREASE . All are lithium complex, high temp., EP greases.

Hope this eases the OCD concerns! Lithium complex is always a good starting point before venturing to more exotic specialty greases (moly, marine, etc.).

Last edited:
Why doesn't Mopar spec a hi temp grease? And is the JD grease hi temp?

Is this grease for u-joints or ball joints?

And for sliding yokes, I'd want something with moly or you can use Ford's blue teflon stuff.

You don't need a high temp. grease for chassis lubrication. JD is a high temp grease. Disc brake wheel bearings is the most common high temp. application for most of us.

Last edited:
For the amount of grease you are going to need for your two applications, take a look at Valvoline Full Synthetic Grease. It’s available at your local tractor supply for roughly $8 for a 14 oz tube. It is a moly fortified NLGI #2 GC-LB lithium complex EP Grease with an excellent temperature range (-40 to 425). One tube should last you a pretty good while.

Does anyone know what the base is for the Mopar grease? If it's lithium complex, I may go with Schaeffer 221.

Oi vey. Now I'm waffling. Looking at the amsoil synthetic multi-purpose. 🤦‍♂️

As long as you stick with the same base chemistry (ex: lithium complex) then the grease you choose should not be a HUGE deal as long as you regularly regrease. For the past 5 years I used Mobil synthetic red grease in all my applications but it had problems with oil separation so I recently switched to Shell Rotella HD grease (mineral based) which has not separated yet. I don't expect there to be any difference between the two since I pump those zerks twice a year after each oil change.

Back