Grease for a big rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are aluminum greases the best? How does one compare different greases?

For my rig, I use a tube a month. I've had a few u-joint failures, the grease might partially be to blame. I did have bad driveline angles for a while.

What do you guys recommend?

Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temperature grease specifically meets Spicer universal joint requirements. If you will look at Chevron Delo EP#2 and the Mystik, you will find they meet more stringent requirements overall. Amsoil's Moly and non-Moly both look pretty good, as well. The Delo and Mystik are both used on many, many of the big-rig fleets, both with excellent results.

Quote:

Did they break or wear out from age or some other reason?

My ride height was not set properly, so the driveline angles were off. I feel this was 99% of it.

The last 2 I pulled out just because I didn't want the hassle of another one going on the road. They had substantial "valleys" to the point where the rollers would not move, rather just spin in one spot.

What are some good places to get this mystik stuff? I'm from Canada, might be hard to get up here.

There's a local chevron dealer, I'll look into that too.

I think I'll be getting that chevron stuff, the specs seem to be better then the red tek stuff, especially the upper temp specs.

We had a problem with PTO U-joints going out constantly even at the correct angles and regular service. We switched to the non-servicable lubed for life kind (of U-joints) and the problems stopped.

I would use synthetic grease for your application, esp with the higher weights Canadian trucks haul. I talk to Canadian bulk haulers who regularly put 88,000 in their tank. We don't go over 50,000.

Quote:

We had a problem with PTO U-joints going out constantly even at the correct angles and regular service. We switched to the non-servicable lubed for life kind (of U-joints) and the problems stopped.

Are you serious!? Those things have a terrible reputation!

Yes, very serious. They are packed w/synthetic grease and work well. I've never seen one used in the main driveshaft, though. How much weights are you hauling? FWIW U-joints can last at least 700K miles. That's how long I had my last truck before I turned it in w/original joints.

I had about 600k before they started falling apart.

Maybe the new style "non-greasable" u-joints are better, I don't know.

my gross weight is usually from 50k to 87k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back