gravel vs road ?

I didn't have any issues on the Katy trail last summer with it. But I only rode about 30 miles. Not sure I'd want to go hundreds of miles with that bike on a gravel trail.
Glad you mentioned that one; it's been on my "to do" list for one of these years when I find the time. Good to hear it was a good ride.... I know they had some flooding a few years back so hopefully it is back in good shape. It's a very long trail!

I'm a flats guy even on the road bike. I use the same flats as my MTB's. I am currently running my AL wheels with 28 Conti's. That is as thin as I get. I'm still all "bagged" out on my road bike. The frame bag is great for stowing extra clothing as it was pretty cold around me this spring. I most often ride around 5am with some just need a sunshine ride in the late mornings.

Bikes are awesome! View attachment 100467View attachment 100468
I use a similar pedal on my road bike, also from Raceface..... I like them, and they let me ride with normal running shoes or gym shoes. I never warmed up to the clipless pedals, I am much too clumsy for those!

Glad you mentioned that one; it's been on my "to do" list for one of these years when I find the time. Good to hear it was a good ride.... I know they had some flooding a few years back so hopefully it is back in good shape. It's a very long trail!
I've probably ridden about 90 miles of it. Thirty or so at each end and another 30 around Hermann. I do plan to ride the whole thing once oilBabe retires so she can be my SAG.

Plus, it's incentive to ride fast as she gets to shop while I'm on the trail :)

I'm a flats guy even on the road bike. I use the same flats as my MTB's. I am currently running my AL wheels with 28 Conti's.
Think of it this way: you can always put a faster/more narrow tire on a gravel bike, but you can't fit a gravel tire on (most) road bikes.

The lack of top end gearing is only an issue in some very select circumstances, and if you aren't racing it just won't be an issue.
:)
so many views in this thread on a "simple" topic. thanks everybody. (y)

I haven't had a pavement bike in many years. I truly love trail riding and have only fat bikes and one 29+ bike. I just learned yesterday that Surly released the Bridge Club in a new color called Majestic Moss. I'm a sucker for dark green so I ordered a frameset.
Going to build it up 700c with Velocity Cliffhanger rims and Surly Extraterrestrial tires. It'll be my do it all gravel-road bike. We don't have much gravel in my area.

i´ve seen in person gravelbikes, and i got scared a bit.. not happy about position, so let´s try mtb instead..
https://www-mojekolo-cz.translate.g...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=sk&_x_tr_pto=wapp

paid 1060€, by "mistake" it has better slx casette instead.
basic brakes, i might replace front with slx 2 piston, that should do it.
and if deore chain dies, replace with slx or xtr. same size, better material.
surprised that deore deraileur has clutch function. thingy seems working.
i put on my bbb echelon seat. fork is spring type, when set right +tyre pressure, i stop thinking about suspension seatpost.

Back