Gotta gas up..

Jeff, there is no such thing as an electrical charge rate measured in miles-per-hour. More made up stuff.
This is EV speak. People who buy EVs need to understand charging in terms they can understand.
If you wish, look at the 1st pic and you will understand. My car, a "Mid Range" single motor, RWD Model 3 gets around 28 to 32 miles of range per hour pulling 32A.

This is EV speak. People who buy EVs need to understand charging in terms they can understand.
If you wish, look at the 1st pic and you will understand. My car, a "Mid Range" single motor, RWD Model 3 gets around 28 to 32 miles of range per hour pulling 32A.
No again, Due to battery density, condition, level of charge, power quality and a host of other things contributing, it is impossible to directly correlate a charge rate ( from the charger) the state of charge ( density) and the rate of charge ( how fast the battery accepts) in MPH regardless of how "cute' it may sound to those who don't have a clue.

No again, Due to battery density, condition, level of charge, power quality and a host of other things contributing, it is impossible to directly correlate a charge rate ( from the charger) the state of charge ( density) and the rate of charge ( how fast the battery accepts) in MPH regardless of how "cute' it may sound to those who don't have a clue.
Sorry ABT. This is how people describe Tesla home charging. No one said these are absolutes.
Again, if you look at the 1st pic, you will see what I am talking about. I had just plugged in; the car starts pulling amps and the MPH gauge goes from 0 to 28, in this case. People refer to this as "28 mph".
There are similar phrases used for Supercharger charging.

I hope this helps.

Sorry ABT. This is how people describe Tesla home charging. No one said these are absolutes.
Again, if you look at the 1st pic, you will see what I am talking about. I had just plugged in; the car starts pulling amps and the MPH gauge goes from 0 to 28, in this case. People refer to this as "28 mph".
There are similar phrases used for Supercharger charging.

I hope this helps.
I see what you are talking about. Geeks using meaningless jargon. Still doesn't alter anything I said.

They can refer to it as 300 fireflies flickering and it doesn't make it any less useless

I see what you are talking about. Geeks using meaningless jargon. Still doesn't alter anything I said.

They can refer to it as 300 fireflies flickering and it doesn't make it any less useless

MPH is an accurate term for charging an electric vehicle - the level 2 charger I use frequently maxes out at 20 miles per hour so if I plug in for 1 hour I will typically have an extra 20 miles of range. 20 miles added in 1 hour, 20 MPH - would you prefer someone say 20 MAPH (miles ADDED per hour)?

Isn't fluid flow measured in GPH? Is that meaningless jargon too?

ABT, it is not useless. People need to communicate; people need information.
It may not fit your world, but it is useful, no important, to others.
If Joe 6 Pack is considering a Tesla, he needs an understanding of charging in verbiage he can understand.
Please open your mind my friend. It's all good.

Plus, seeing big numbers when you are on a Supercharger is a real kick, lemme tell ya.
1000 MPH Baby!

Last edited:
MPH is an accurate term for charging an electric vehicle - the level 2 charger I use frequently maxes out at 20 miles per hour so if I plug in for 1 hour I will typically have an extra 20 miles of range. 20 miles added in 1 hour, 20 MPH - would you prefer someone say 20 MAPH (miles ADDED per hour)?

The vehicle doesn't charge in miles though and the battery doesn't hold miles. Just like you don't put miles in your gas tank, the rate of charge is in kW and the capacity is in kWh, same as the discharge rate.

So, if you pull up to a charger and you add 10kWh and it brings you from 60kWh of capacity to 70kWh it's like going from 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank in a gas car. How far it takes you, just like with a gas car, will depend on the efficiency of the powertrain and vehicle and how it is driven.

The vehicle doesn't charge in miles though and the battery doesn't hold miles. Just like you don't put miles in your gas tank, the rate of charge is in kW and the capacity is in kWh, same as the discharge rate.
It's just a way to express approximately how many miles of range you gain for an hour of charging the battery at any given point during the charging process. Doesn't your EV show this metric ... or is it just a "Tesla thing" ?

Last edited:
It's just a way to express approximately how many miles of range you gain for an hour of charging the battery at any given point during the charging process. Doesn't your EV show this metric ... or is it just a "Tesla thing" ?

The Audi showed charge %.

What are you using for voltage at the charger, 240V?
A 240V (3-phase) 7,000W charger is 16.8A, so 20 of them would be a 336A load at the transformer on the secondary side, which would yield a 0.7A load on the primary side at 120,000V, which is ~140,000W if I am doing the math correctly.
I dont know what I did looking back at it, was doing it in head. You are right I am wrong. Amps not watts, or what’s? as two of you said.

View attachment 37669

It ain't an EV but the next best thing.

Maybe when the ID.4 releases.

Nectar of the Gods :)

The 1st thing to understand is the Tesla app on your cell. The car is very software driven; somewhat of a video game. It tracks start and end time. Shows charging locations, with number of Superchargers and how many are open. Contacts roadside assistance for "out of charge".

Charging at home: Remember, the charger is in the vehicle. You can schedule the charging schedule to take advantage of rates. It stops when charging gets to your assigned charge percent. I think ours is 80% or 90%. If you are going on a trip, you set charging to 100%.

Tesla Superchargers: Your Tesla account for the car has a credit card assigned. You back in and plug in. Your CC and car are charged. Supercharger can hit incredible MPH numbers. I have only used Superchargers to see what it is like. Maybe $10 if I was really low? Dunno for sure.

The ability to set it to a lower percentage than “full” may be there for rates, but it’s also really a good thing for battery life. The narrower the range of SOC that you stay in, the longer the life and the more cycles that can be obtained.

I am curious what $/kwh they’re charging to the credit card at the supercharger. I wonder if it is competitive...

Never mind.... 28c/kWh

CFA70A72-54E2-493A-9795-DC11321E1875.png

So a model 3 with an 82kWh pack would cost $23 to charge from “fumes” to full on a supercharger, say, on a cross country trip. And at 27kWh/100mi, it would cost $7.56 to go 100 miles. At $2.09/gal, using my EPA mileage, not my actual, on my accord hybrid, I can go 100 miles for $4.47. The two cars are pretty close in size and weight.

B14BD4C4-FE6F-4DC0-9645-FC4C7FEE53ED.png

Last edited:

First, GPH is an empirical measurement and is accurate for a fluid- MPH for a battery is not.

First, you are not "adding" electricity to a battery ( as if filling up a salt shaker)- you are doing an electrochemical conversion which is not linear ( cant add 10 in and get 10 out). A battery charges in layers and has to internally distribute, relax and other things depending on the specifics of that battery.

You didn't add any "miles'- you added a % of a reaction which may or may not directly translate to a terrestrial mile because of an entirely different set of variables.

Last edited by a moderator:
ABT, it is not useless. People need to communicate; people need information.
It may not fit your world, but it is useful, no important, to others.
If Joe 6 Pack is considering a Tesla, he needs an understanding of charging in verbiage he can understand.
Please open your mind my friend. It's all good.
But children also need to eventually be told there is no Santa too.

Its not a case of "fitting"- its a useless, meaningless made up nothing number that means even less.

Joe 6 pack actually understands % of charge from his trolling battery and they don't tell him he can go 2 fishing holes distance either.

That's another big plus, no underground storage tanks full of fuels. There can be 20 charging stations all in a row and nothing but wires and conduit in the ground. Twenty level two's at a full 7000 watts each, and a 120,000 volt line transformered down to them, puts a whopping 140 watts on the main line, very possible to do. Or do you have your oil tank under the garage floor?
Yeah until there's a mass power outage, then what? Fuel can be hand/battery pumped if need be to keep on rolling.

Having the car perform a conversion from charge rate to available mileage is handy even though it isnt in any way absolute.
Its more informative than a mere KWH (being accepted at the moment in time).

Just like when buying 20 worth of gas at the station you manually determine how many miles that buys you that isnt absolute either.

Nor is buying a fixed amount of gallons absolute because your mileage always varies, If I throw 5 or 10 gallons in my car estimates the total mileage I will get from that.

Yeah until there's a mass power outage, then what? Fuel can be hand/battery pumped if need be to keep on rolling.

When was the last time you saw a gas station with a hand pump?

If I had an electric car - I can charge using my home genset that runs on natural gas.

What are you using for voltage at the charger, 240V?
A 240V (3-phase) 7,000W charger is 16.8A, so 20 of them would be a 336A load at the transformer on the secondary side, which would yield a 0.7A load on the primary side at 120,000V, which is ~140,000W if I am doing the math correctly.
You are.

Farnsworth is off by a factor of 1,000. That, or he’s conflating amps and watts.

But you can’t turn 140 watts into several 7000 watt units. Watts are power. One Joule/sec. or, one amp at one volt.

Would it help if the Tesla app showed “MRPH” - “Miles of Range added Per Hour”?

That’s the concept. The use of MPH to describe the concept is deliberately misleading, so that Tesla owners can feel a bit more “cool” - “look at that! 1000 MPH”...

Back