Got way too many oysters, what to do?

Went to a farmers market and was just looking around when I saw a seafood stand where they had oysters. Beau Soleils from PEI were $2 each. They had some Hama Hama from Washington, but then there were these other ones from Washington for $1.50 each. More or less that I'd call small Pacific oysters, although they were pretty much all covered with barnacles. They guy in charge gave me a killer offer - an entire tray of them for $30 which I took him up on. Besides the fact that I got leaking water all over my jeans and maybe some in my wife's car (she's out with the kiddo on some retreat) I'm alone with what used to be (what I counted as) 110 oysters minus what I already shucked. They'll be back and maybe I'll share it with them, but I'm wondering what I might be able to do with them alone. I've got a NY strip waiting for me tonight, and I'm thinking maybe with sliced portobellos on top, and oysters as an appetizer. But maybe cooked some way.

I'm not that skilled with cooking oysters. I have a steamer and I was thinking maybe using that with some of the bigger ones, and maybe I save the smaller ones for eating raw. I've got butter, salt, a lemon, but I'm not sure what to do with these. I might be able to use a toaster oven, but our regular oven doesn't work well.

Make a nice big vat of oyster stew. Freeze in one pint portions.

Bacon + oyster = Oysters Rockefeller

I looked up a couple of oysters Rockefeller recipes, and none of them included any meat. One had heavy cream and panic bread crumbs, while the other had sourdough bread crumbs.

Chinese style

Chinese style

That’s sort of what I did. I had some sort of fermented soybean sauce, but I had to make do with green onions. Worked pretty well. Might make some tomorrow when my family gets back from their trip.

That’s sort of what I did. I had some sort of fermented soybean sauce, but I had to make do with green onions. Worked pretty well. Might make some tomorrow when my family gets back from their trip.
everytime we have oysters at a chinese rest ,we have it either this way or black bean style. sometimes both at the same time. we have this oyster omlette whenever we can . its hard to find in restaurants

everytime we have oysters at a chinese rest ,we have it either this way or black bean style. sometimes both at the same time. we have this oyster omlette whenever we can . its hard to find in restaurants

I’ve seen black bean with green onions and thin sliced ginger. Those can do pretty well with large grilling oysters. I guess the hard part is not overcooking. They shrink excessively and become chewy when steamed too long.

I remember when my family was out of town before, I went all the way to Tomales Bay, California to get oysters and clams. Of course this was back when gas was cheaper. On one birthday we went to Point Reyes Station and had brunch at The Station House Cafe, where I had a Hangtown fry with local oysters. Come to think of it, that might be something I could do. I don’t have any bacon though.

Made this. Had to go out and get bacon. Tried to bread the oysters with some of the eggs and flour. Didn’t get the oysters breaded all that well, but who cares once it gets in the eggs. That’s a combo of fresh ground black pepper and Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning.

B0C93A71-2FB6-4171-B698-A7A2FB8CE743.jpeg

This is what people drink beer with after a hard day of work. Fried oyster pancake, beer, cold cut combo of goose and beef, seafood, sausage, etc.

My parents often work late closing a real estate deal and sometimes we ended up having dinner at 10-12 at night. Only these Teochew places (sort of like a working class tapas bar) still open at those hours, serving night workers and people after clubs closing. Good prices and good food if you aren't spending big on seafood. Who needs AC when you have cold cut meat and cheap beer?

1658861148615.png

Last edited:
Back