Got tired of the Poulan not starting

Poulan used to make decent stuff. I’m talking way back in the 70s and 80s though. I have my grandpa’s old 3400 that I fire up now and again.

I have a 9 year old Poulan Pro PP2822 hedge trimmer. It began to run bad. I thought the Ethanol fuel I was using and left sitting in it caused the carb to go funky, I bought a new Ebay carb but while waiting for it I used my small engine carb setting tools and got it running great, now I have a spare carb 🙄. What I can say is it's difficult to pull the recoil rope, it's not linear, it's jerky and tough to pull. Thankfully it always starts by the 3rd tug.

I had a Poulan Pro 16" saw for years and it started just fine. I always keot the carb clean by adding about 1 oz of Berryman per gallon of gas, just as I do with all of my OPE.

Now, the gas cap was another story! That **** thing stuck tight whenever the saw was running and I had to let it cool down just to refuel! I wasn't sad when I got rid of it.

My 1976 Stihl 041 soldiers on . When I bought it , I would drive 24 miles to a mobile home park and buck up a cord of white oak and drive it home. Then I would shower and go work 2nd shift at the 'Yard. Is 5 pulls hard to start? It has its original points, condenser and carb. 30 yrs ago, when I got a better heating system, I started to only use it for a tank of fuel a day. Better on me and the saw. I have a new set of points some where :cool:

Last edited:
Back