Got new tires, but no Nitrogen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a set of 4 new Nankang NS20s and the guy at the new local tore store told me he doesn't think I need nitrogen in them. I used to run nitrogen. I used to seem to have tires that needed be be topped off with air every 1-2 months and the nitrogen seemed to help seal the tires and lessen my need to top them off so often. These tires have been on for 6 or 7 weeks and I don't think I've lost one pound yet.

Thanks to this place I saved $100 on these tires and will spare myself of the $25 for nitrogen.
As long as they hold their pressure, I'm fine with dry compressed air.

You have 78% nitrogen now.
smile.gif

Unless they pull a vacuum on the tires and fill with pure nitrogen then you will not have pure nitrogen in the tires.

No worries. Drive on.

If all that pesky O2 is migrating out then your tires should contain more nitrogen by % very soon.

Originally Posted by Trav
Nitrogen is a big profit maker not much more and not worth it.

My work just got another nitrogen exchanger machine thing. We had one before and parts was stuck with keeping track of the green stem caps. I have no idea what service charges for it, but I swapped my Mustang over after work yesterday. I would say maybe up to $10 would be fair, but anything over that you have diminishing returns IMO.

As you add air a few times the oxygen will have slipped out since much smaller molecule.

As the tires age they should tighten up, and lose less air.

My Hankook V12's were so hard at 4 years they held 35 psi for 2 more years.....not even kidding.

Nitrogen is great for air craft and race cars and I wouldn't pay for nitrogen. Free put it in.

I don't know where the drive for 100% Nitrogen came from. Maybe an extra profit centre? Maybe a low cost way to have compressed gas on site without the bother of maintaining an air compressor?

Yes your wheels might be as much as a gram or two lighter and that would be important on say, the moon lander or the space shuttle (though hydrogen or helium would be even lighter).

All you really need is dry air. 78% Nitrogen is just fine. Drive on.

I thought so too, but my Lexus came with nitrogen and the PSI remained constant for 2 yrs +- 2 psi depending on temperature and never needed to top up.

This spring I put new tires on and now that the weather is cooler I see fluctuations of 2 degrees and the weather isn't cold yet. One should lose 1 psi every 6 degrees centigrade. I think I'm going back to nitrogen.

I like nitrogen better too that comes from Costco, after all it is free and tires are very stable (it's pressure)

We started selling this nitrogen scam at the Goodyear I worked at. Mainly because they want to get people paying for it. I did a somewhat unscientific test and put nitrogen in my one bicycle tire and air (76%?) Nitrogen in the other one. Checked the pressure every couple weeks for a couple months. They both lost the exact same amount of pressure. 100% scam in my opinion. I was topping up people's tires doing oil changes all day every day. Nitrogen filled tires were always low just the same as every other car and it was just an annoying pita to pull the machine over and top them up when you knew that it made absolutely ZERO difference putting it in.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
We started selling this nitrogen scam at the Goodyear I worked at. Mainly because they want to get people paying for it. I did a somewhat unscientific test and put nitrogen in my one bicycle tire and air (76%?) Nitrogen in the other one. Checked the pressure every couple weeks for a couple months. They both lost the exact same amount of pressure. 100% scam in my opinion. I was topping up people's tires doing oil changes all day every day. Nitrogen filled tires were always low just the same as every other car and it was just an annoying pita to pull the machine over and top them up when you knew that it made absolutely ZERO difference putting it in.

I wonder if the machine just filled with ambient. I'm not convinced the one we have does anything either. But the snake oil peddler sure talks it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back